nvidia takes on mobile cpu/gpu/ram

esa193

Fully Optimized
What is Tegra?
To clear out some confusion, let us first stress that Tegra is not a CPU. Neither is a GPU or a combination of both with one part dominating the other.
Instead, Tegra is a "system-on-a-chip" (SoC) or "computer-on-a-chip" (CoC). Tegra consists of an ARM11 CPU core, a GoForce (renamed into GeForce ULV) GPU, an image processor (digital camera support), a HD video processor (PureVideo for handhelds), memory (NAND Flash, Mobile DDR), a northbridge (memory controller, display output, HDMI+HDCP, security engine) and a southbridge (USB OTG, UART, external memory card SPI SDIO, etc).
In short, Tegra includes the whole shebang: CPU, graphics and what you traditionally find on a motherboard are squeezed onto a single silicon die. What is particularly impressive about this device is the fact that this chip measures just 144 mm2, which is smaller than a dime and about one quarter the size of the upcoming GeForce graphics chip, which measures 576 mm2, according to our sources.

very very very interesting read lot more to read
little long
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-Tegra,5516.html

looks like nvidia is trying to brake out into the cpu world
i no that mobile cpus are a different story but still its a first step
id like to see nvidia come out with a state of the art cpu that
has a gpu built into it
(if amd for w/e reason doesn't make it they would be a great competitor)

did u read my post
looks like nvidia is trying to brake out into the cpu world
i no that mobile cpus are a different story but still its a first step

its a full cpu/gpu/ram/nb/sb ectt chip
but its the first steps into the cpu market

To clear out some confusion, let us first stress that Tegra is not a CPU. Neither is a GPU or a combination of both with one part dominating the other.

^

its basically a combination off all the parts = /
dont get all technical with me

it's none of that it's totally different to anything you have said it is basically your not understanding what it is it's basically just a very clever chip basically a small computer on a microchip in lehmans terms

i admit it's very confusing they didnt word it very well for us uneducated folks to understand it

if its a computer on a chip doesnt it still need those components

it's none of that it's totally different to anything you have said it is basically your not understanding what it is it's basically just a very clever chip basically a small computer on a microchip in lehmans terms

Too many 'basically's
Please use punctuation

As for the topic. It is very interesting. But it's confusing. I just read your summary. Does it have like a screen? Like, is it a device and that small component is just implemented?

Back
Top Bottom