Nuclear Power; energy scenario

you ask how to save Co2, do all of the above first, then talk about building nuclear power, which is more dangerous and more radioactive than the current coal stations.
Well, they recycle CO2 to actually produce petrol.

And Coal stations are actually more radioactive for the workers except when nuclear goes into meltdown. And much more dangerous except when nuclear goes into meltdown.

exactly.
Everything has it's dangers.

imagine if it was a hydro powered damn there? we wouldn't have been hearing that nuclear was bad (not so much of a media frenzy), but everyone living in the shadow of the damn would have been washed out to sea.

to be honest, about the only thing that coal actually has going for it (in terms of future generation, [and aside from the physical time scales the stations need to be built in]) is that the power station physically couldn't go into meltdown.

whilst (normally operating) coal stations release more radioactivity than (normally operating) nuclear stations, it's the cost of the risk *if* it does go wrong.
then you're not looking at slightly elevated background levels, you're looking at possibly immediate release of deadly levels. (possibly at the level where it may be fatal within hours), released in seconds, huge evacuation areas, massive clean-up costs...

Incidentally, (as if by strange coincidence or magic). I received an invitation to a lecture today.
A presentation/discussion session on the ways and means of generating energy for the next 20 years in the UK, (held jointly by the Institute of Mechanical Engineers[branch of the IET], The Institute of Chemical Engineers and the Institute of Civil engineers).

free to anyone who can get themselves to reading university. (open to non-members, registration required, 1st come 1st serve)
The Great Energy Debate - The IET

A.K.A you're chance to hear from people who actually know what their talking about (not randoms on the internet like me). and your chance to influence the kind of people that do influence the government.

exactly.
Everything has it's dangers.

imagine if it was a hydro powered damn there? we wouldn't have been hearing that nuclear was bad (not so much of a media frenzy), but everyone living in the shadow of the damn would have been washed out to sea.

to be honest, about the only thing that coal actually has going for it (in terms of future generation, [and aside from the physical time scales the stations need to be built in]) is that the power station physically couldn't go into meltdown.

whilst (normally operating) coal stations release more radioactivity than (normally operating) nuclear stations, it's the cost of the risk *if* it does go wrong.
then you're not looking at slightly elevated background levels, you're looking at possibly immediate release of deadly levels. (possibly at the level where it may be fatal within hours), released in seconds, huge evacuation areas, massive clean-up costs...

Incidentally, (as if by strange coincidence or magic). I received an invitation to a lecture today.
A presentation/discussion session on the ways and means of generating energy for the next 20 years in the UK, (held jointly by the Institute of Mechanical Engineers[branch of the IET], The Institute of Chemical Engineers and the Institute of Civil engineers).

free to anyone who can get themselves to reading university. (open to non-members, registration required, 1st come 1st serve)
The Great Energy Debate - The IET

A.K.A you're chance to hear from people who actually know what their talking about (not randoms on the internet like me). and your chance to influence the kind of people that do influence the government.
Are you going? Let us know what they say.

I cant beleive how much interest theis thread has had, Im tempted to post my 8000 word project on here which is all about suggestions for UKs energy. With a section on Nuclear, renewables, Industry demans, domestic demand, transport and combined heat and power- Just to see what you guys think, Its obviously not my opinions, its stuff ive got off reading white papers, journals etc. Its very hard to really, because just like on here you have so mnay people with different opinions and CORRECT interpretation of the facts, but none the less they are interpretation where one journal will focus on say the advanatges of something then another purely on focusing on the disadvantages.

Like i say i would post it, but knowing my luck, My uni would then find it on the net, and then think i plagurised it..... So might be best if i dont, Not that anyone is probablly bored eneough to ready 8000 enthralling words.

Back
Top Bottom