NTL/Virgin to lose Sky One

David Lindon said:
So its definate now is it?

Yeah it is apparently, I haven't heard anything in email or on the website yet, but there is an article about this on DigitalSpy

Virgin Media to lose Sky Channels

Its a shame, because I had been quite happy with my package from NTL, the broadband never quite reaches its 4 meg speed, but 99% of the time it works well and fine (touch wood and no puns please) the telephone is a good deal, and well the tv although varied, and having 100+ channels with nothing to watch is a good thing, the pay on demand works well.

The real problem is that I love Sky One, and its one of the main reasons for me having cable, well that and the football, but I pay extra for that anyway, so its pissing me off a bit, I will have to consider keeping NTL or switching to sky, I don't really want to but needs must and all that.

Plus their package deal is not bad right at the moment.

EDIT: Additional Information

Apparently Virgin Media have been sending this email to people

"Dear customer,

Let's face it. Things would be pretty boring if choice didn't exist. There'd be just one kind of airline to fly with. One type of car to drive. And if Sky had their way, there'd only be one place to get TV.

We thought we'd let you in on a few tricks they've been trying to get their way.

While we've continued to make Virgin Media channels like Living, Bravo and Challenge available to all Sky customers, Sky may withdraw their non-premium channels from Virgin Media's service – in order to force you into switching service.

Virgin Media were willing to pay an increase in costs in order to get the complete range of Sky content and channels.

However, Sky have consistently demanded an increase that bears no relation to the channels' market value.

We have refused to accept this increase, since it would mean absorbing significant costs ourselves, and passing the kind of price increase on to our customers that is simply unfair. We are not prepared to rip off our customers.

So Sky have picked up their ball and gone home.

As a Virgin company, we're well used to the attempts of large corporations trying to manipulate markets, stifle competition and rip off consumers.

Luckily, we don't think Sky's the limit.

We think the future's full of fresh entertainment and communication possibilities. And we're looking forward to bringing them to you. With all the freedom and choice you deserve.

We've launched Virgin Central, a revolutionary type of TV channel, where programmes start and stop when you say so. This is only available on Virgin Media, since Sky don't have the technology to be able to transmit it. What's more, it's available to every single one of our digital TV customers.

And there's our unique on demand library. A giant collection of over 500 films, 1000 music videos, 100s of TV shows – all at your beck and call. You can access them at any time.

We're not scared of competition, we welcome it.

To find out more, visit virginmedia.com/fairplay."

Erm... last time I looked at Sky, they were charging extra for the package which included Sky One. Their flagship channel, and you have to get an upgraded package to watch it.

Actually, I'm glad my new house didn't have cable, because all reason for having it would now be gone, and Sky is too expensive. Freeview FTW. I had Telewest at my old place and they were great, really great.

I live in southern England & expected that I wouldn't be able to access Sky One etc today, but it's there, & I've been able to access it all day, with the usual rock-steady reception.

Sky One has now been taken off Virgin Media, as well Sky News and Sky Sports News (Arrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhh!!) We phoned up and they said they are currently looking at the available options and hoping to resolve the issue, in the meantime they have given us a £10 a month discount on our package

Raffaz said:
I got rid of sky years ago, i will never get it back unless they bring their prices down, and i mean right down. Its a waste of money to me. Who needs 10+ film channels anyway, you can only watch one at a time. Their prices are getting better, but its the principal, and im a stubborn git :)

there are 10 movie channels so you have a choice, maybe you dont like 9/10 of the movies, they are putting the content there for everyone!

UK31337 said:
Erm... last time I looked at Sky, they were charging extra for the package which included Sky One. Their flagship channel, and you have to get an upgraded package to watch it.

Actually, I'm glad my new house didn't have cable, because all reason for having it would now be gone, and Sky is too expensive. Freeview FTW. I had Telewest at my old place and they were great, really great.
I have the small package at £21 a month, which has loads of interest programmes, National Geographic etc, I didn't go for the full package as I'm not a lover of sport, & todays films are either too violent & noisy, or vague, they do nothing for me. my film era is the 60's 70's & 80's.

We've never had the movie channels either. No point in my opinion, as they seem to just repeat all over the place.

I haven't checked to see if Sky One's gone yet...
E4's slowly replacing Sky One in this house hold anyway. It tends to have the same type of television.

Just 24 I'm worried about, but at least we can get that elsewhere.

Kage said:
I haven't checked to see if Sky One's gone yet.
I just checked, yep, still there, a friend said we won't lose it, if you're getting it via a Sky digibox, which I have, & you?

Back
Top Bottom