Northern rock nationalised

Our latest Government under Brown is a complete disaster, after he took over from Blair, which was, in itself a huge mistake, an election for a new Prime Minister should have been held, not Brown sliding quietly in place, that was all wrong for a start, quickly followed by the "election that never was"
For those who don't know what North Rock is, ask any Brit, it's a bank who's finances totally collapsed, for days & days, thousands queued at branches all over the British Isles, striving to withdraw their savings totalling billions of £££'s, eventually closing their doors leaving thousands of very angry customers unable to get their money out, months went by while a buyer was sought, but no one in their right mind would touch it with a barge pole so in our wonderful:rolleyes: Government in it's "wisdom" has now nationalised Nothern Rock which means of course that we as taxpayers will have to foot the bill, & in spite of this action being taken NR customers will only get a mere fraction of the monies owed to them.
So there we have it, yet another disaster by the Labour Government, the sad thing is that there's a 99% chance that they'll get in again at the next General Election, why?, because none of the other political parties have any strength to overthrow them, there's only one chance open to us, a vote of no confidence in our Government, but I honestly can't see that happening, votes of no confidence are as rare as hens teeth.

so nationalization is bad because the tax payer has to fit the bill? which as i remember was billions, was it not?

so nationalization is bad because the tax payer has to fit the bill? which as i remember was billions, was it not?
Yes I think it's bad even though I only pay around £30 a month, this is because I'm retired on a pension of £800 per month, I would normally pay more, but I get pension credits, something our Government did get right, I also get a one off annual fuel payment of £300, normally this is £200, but because I'm a widower living on my own, I qualify for an extra £100, very handy as my annual fuel bill is around £800, a whole month's pension gone, just like that!!:eek:

Yes I think it's bad even though I only pay around £30 a month, this is because I'm retired on a pension of £800 per month, I would normally pay more, but I get pension credits, something our Government did get right, I also get a one off annual fuel payment of £300, normally this is £200, but because I'm a widower living on my own, I qualify for an extra £100, very handy as my annual fuel bill is around £800, a whole month's pension gone, just like that!!:eek:

your whole months pension gone on a years fuel?

I have a whole two months wages gone on my years fuel bill (~£2600 Per year), I drive more! -but pretty much only drive to get to work and at weekend to go about my life -shopping visiting friends etc.

it's just an effect of having a car that you have to put fuel in it!

pension credits/tax credits and all that jazz just seem like a waste.
why don't they just get rid of the people organizing it and just pay you the same amount, (plus a little more in the money saved from the sacking of those pen pushers!).

I'm not against pensions/single parent benefits/child benefits/unemployment benefits/sick benefits... but why bother trying to think up over complicated schemes for these things to make them work when all that's really needed is people are assessed and then paid an amount!!

why is it base benefit + credits. why not just one payment that combines all without having to jump through hoops and paperwork to get there!

it's just creating hassle and complication for the sake of it!

as the car was brought up, I feel the same way about road tax and other proposed environmental taxes regarding cars.
like th CO2 charge in central London now...

I already get charged per mile I drive and per kilo of CO2 I produce, it's called fuel duty!
(can't make CO2 without the hydroCARBON fuel (petrol/diesel) put in the car to start with).
and the more fuel I burn means the more miles I've driven taking toll on the roads and the more CO2 I've produced...

scrap road tax I say and environmental tax and just lump it all together as fuel duty...

at least then we'll get a clearer idea of the true cost of driving and those who think it's too high will make a positive step towards the environment/congestion/road quality(wear and tear) by walking more!

doing that also sorts out other unfair taxes,
like road tax, obviously if Brookfields fuel bill is only £800 PA (nearly a quarter of what I pay) then it's likely that he drives about a quarter as much... why then does he need to pay the same road tax on a vehicle that's parked on his driveway a lot more!

what's more it also means that other people (foreign truckers/tourists etc) also contribute to the environmental cost and road maintenance).

sadly a vote of no confidence would be unlikely to oust brown, he was voted there by internal elections in his party and a vote of no confidence is carried out in parliament by the people in that party, this practice only happens when someone gets to the top and then stays there without relinquishing their post. it could happen, but it's unlikely to happen right now since he's only just really been put in power.

also what people seem to forget with Gordon Brown, is that they voted for a party, not an individual, nobody voted Tony Blair, they voted Labour. -and that party is still in power.

(note I don't like either, and didn't vote for either).

your whole months pension gone on a years fuel?

I have a whole two months wages gone on my years fuel bill (~£2600 Per year), I drive more! -but pretty much only drive to get to work and at weekend to go about my life -shopping visiting friends etc.

it's just an effect of having a car that you have to put fuel in it!

pension credits/tax credits and all that jazz just seem like a waste.
why don't they just get rid of the people organizing it and just pay you the same amount, (plus a little more in the money saved from the sacking of those pen pushers!).

I'm not against pensions/single parent benefits/child benefits/unemployment benefits/sick benefits... but why bother trying to think up over complicated schemes for these things to make them work when all that's really needed is people are assessed and then paid an amount!!

why is it base benefit + credits. why not just one payment that combines all without having to jump through hoops and paperwork to get there!

it's just creating hassle and complication for the sake of it!

as the car was brought up, I feel the same way about road tax and other proposed environmental taxes regarding cars.
like th CO2 charge in central London now...

I already get charged per mile I drive and per kilo of CO2 I produce, it's called fuel duty!
(can't make CO2 without the hydroCARBON fuel (petrol/diesel) put in the car to start with).
and the more fuel I burn means the more miles I've driven taking toll on the roads and the more CO2 I've produced...

scrap road tax I say and environmental tax and just lump it all together as fuel duty...

at least then we'll get a clearer idea of the true cost of driving and those who think it's too high will make a positive step towards the environment/congestion/road quality(wear and tear) by walking more!

doing that also sorts out other unfair taxes,
like road tax, obviously if Brookfields fuel bill is only £800 PA (nearly a quarter of what I pay) then it's likely that he drives about a quarter as much... why then does he need to pay the same road tax on a vehicle that's parked on his driveway a lot more!

what's more it also means that other people (foreign truckers/tourists etc) also contribute to the environmental cost and road maintenance).

sadly a vote of no confidence would be unlikely to oust brown, he was voted there by internal elections in his party and a vote of no confidence is carried out in parliament by the people in that party, this practice only happens when someone gets to the top and then stays there without relinquishing their post. it could happen, but it's unlikely to happen right now since he's only just really been put in power.

also what people seem to forget with Gordon Brown, is that they voted for a party, not an individual, nobody voted Tony Blair, they voted Labour. -and that party is still in power.

(note I don't like either, and didn't vote for either).
Sorta balances itself out in a strange kinda way, me; one months pension = a years fuel , you; two weeks wages = a year's fuel, I don't drive my car much either, the insurance cost is based on a maximum of 3500 miles per annum, in truth I only do around 2500.
So once again it only goes to prove that what ever your circumstances are you're going to get stung!, oh, good post by the way:)

Back
Top Bottom