nintendo revoulution controller

Yeah, I demoed it at EBGames :p Metriod Prime is probably my favorite GameCube game...along with Super Monkey Ball :D

Nintendo are somewhat famed for their innovation...

like the Donkey Konga games involving a set on electronic bongos.
the ways that all the gamecube accessories attach to the cube keeping the square shape, (portable battery, screen, disc holder, speakers).
The DS with a touch screen, the three pronged N64 controller, (which was the first controller to have a trigger in the right place for a shooting game!)...
the link cable to attache the GBA to the game cube to allow gameplay on the TV and handheld screens..
and now this space aware controller...

Aside from a change of colour or case, what exactly was innovation has come in either of the three releases of either the xbox (black green crystal) of playstation (black, silver, aqua)...

I know that game cube comes in two colurs, but there was no real release hype surrounding the release of them!!!

incidentally it's apparantly designed to look like a remote control as it will help more people get into games, since it's something they should immediatly feel comfortable with...

Yeah, but like I said, the games are largely based for the japaneze market, but some games do come down here that are sucessful, and your right.

The gamecube does very well there, and even though I have one, I'm not very happy at all.

Can someone explain why burnout 2-3 never carried on from publishers Electronic Arts being released?, when I enjoyed Burnout so much?

Thats the only game I ever play on it now really, and enjoy playing my ever aging Dreamcast alot more :p

Some games will take use of this new controller though, and will be very sucessful in doing so. Especially, I think, shoot em up's ike FPS's which i think will get alot of hype, though to be honest, it's just replacing the light guns you'd get as accessories anyway, but free as teh controller comes with it.

So when you put the accessories you can get into the light... is it that innovative to have it all in one controller? Was the vibration controller hinted as an innovation when it first came out?

yes, I think vibration was innovative... if fopr no other reason that the fact that every controller seems to have it now...

can anyone else think of anything innovative...

(Itoy was innovative, but fell into the same trap as nintendo, i.e games were limited to party style games and hence it was most popular in Japan, with most british / americans deciding it was a bit tacky / naff / immature).

I think it'll be interesting to see how this pans out in the long run...

Yeah, I tihnk it will be too.

Some games will take use of it, yes, and like the vibration controller, it took off, yet that was simple and didn't really need much innovation to set it off in games.
With these features in mind though, developers will be more forced to have to put some of thje features in, this controller provides, especially if a game is cross platform. This might make it slightly awquad, and developers might just shove something small that uses them, into the final game.

Yet, I think we'll get more use of it, when games especially made for it come into play, yet, like the I-Toy which was an innovation and quite a good one at that, like you said, was only based for party games, and made no real use in any other games.

Are we going to have the same pitfall here?

If you go onto IGN though now, it shows the controller with the extention port plugged into a standard looking controller which should make playing some games easier, and will still allow the functionality of the controller too since it plugs into it, rather like the VM units on the Dreamcast.

To mention the VM units actually. Those to me were rather innovative since no one had thought of doing it before. A memory card with a screen too? Yet many games didn't take use of it. maybe because of the low resolution screen, though it could show health, etc.
It mostly on titles though just displayed the title of the game and that was about it. Oly a few games had mini-games.

This was before the gameboy advance came out though which allowed better mini-games etc to be downloaded onto it.

So yes, we'll see

one thing (I thk from the IGN site)... look at the controller on its side, it looks remarkably like an original NES pad, so I think we cuold see some arcade calssics being released as well...

Well we know for sure don't we that you'll be able to download old games made by Nintendo so thats a possibility of why its been made a bit to look like the Nes controller.

Though they've speculated it won't be a free service now, but we can't really blaim them for that. How else would the service pay for itself?
Plus, they might get a slight graphics overhaul, though i'm wondering if thats a very good idea in some cases, as its the graphics that make the games retro looking :p

root said:
All I see is that Nintendo have actually develoed a piece of technology that is new, unique and has endless possibilities, (FPS where you actually point and shot, Starwars games where you actually get to wave the controller around as if it were a light sabre (etc, etc...)...

whilst the best offering from both Microsoft and Sony are still regular old controllers, two sticks a series of buttons... (Yawn...) Someone should tell them it's not 1994 any more, and they should actually try to be innovative...

I agree with you on the fact that it's innovative, but it's not revolutionary and the Revolution will probably be pushed down again by the PS3 and Xbox 360, just like last time. I sure like Super Monkey Ball though :D

The Xbox 360 controller is actually really well recived...atleast that's what ign.com thinks...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/651/651988p1.html

I'm glad Nintendo is once again being origional and innovative. If they go down so be it, atleast they will go with some dignity. Playstation is only big because they used cd's first...which scratched easy and had mad loading times, basically playsation 1 sucked. People bought it because it used "discs"!. Whatever :rolleyes: . Sega also rocked ass, but that died because they tried to be like playstation with the Sega Saturn..that was the beginning of their end. X-box is only big because of Halo which, in my opinion, was nothing special it was just hyped to the point of no end. And everyone looks at the systems and sees that x-box is big and x-box has a harddrive and this pointless crap. It's a FRIGGIN console, its not a computer! ARRRGHHHH!!! I think I'm getting upset...im done now...

Really? Well the PS3 is just like a computer. I agree with you about the first-gen Xbox being like a computer, because essentially, it is. It used off-of-the-shelf components (which also led to easy hackability). The hard drive is an asset because it allowed you to save pretty much every gamesave for every game ever, and more. So no, it isn't pointless, not to developer's who praised the Xbox for the hard drive.

EDIT>>> And yes, Nintendo is really imaginative. I give them props for that...and Super Monkey Ball! :D

Back
Top Bottom