New York New York.

root

Site Team
Staff member
OK...
bit of a strange one, I'l be going to New York with my Ex-girlriend next week, (was suppose to be a nice romantic holiday over valentines day, but then I broke up with her), but since the holiday is paid for, we figure that we'll go anyway...

anyhow... with the exchange rate being so damn good, I have decided that I'm going to buy a whole load of CDs...

the only question I have, is this...

what is the sales tax in New York? (4%?) does it apply to tourists -(can I claim tax back at the airport in the same way as you can with the tax paid at some british shops that advertise tax free shopping?), I know that it applies to clothes/sports equipment, but does it apply to CD's?

I don't need to have an exact breakdown... I really only care about the items that it applies to, (specifically CDs).

root said:
OK...
bit of a strange one, I'l be going to New York with my Ex-girlriend next week, (was suppose to be a nice romantic holiday over valentines day, but then I broke up with her), but since the holiday is paid for, we figure that we'll go anyway...

anyhow... with the exchange rate being so damn good, I have decided that I'm going to buy a whole load of CDs...

what is the sales tax in New York? (4%?) does it apply to tourists -(can I claim tax back at the airport in the same way as you can with the tax paid at some british shops that advertise tax free shopping?), I know that it applies to clothes/sports equipment, but does it apply to CD's?

I don't need to have an exact breakdown... I really only care about the items that it applies to, (specifically CDs).
Ugh...our sales tax here is 8.75% now I think. In NYC though, it's around 8%, I'm pretty sure it's 8.35%. And the city itself's tax is 4%, but you have to add in a whole bunch of other stuff.

As for being able to get the money back, I'm not sure.

freestyler105 said:
Ugh...our sales tax here is 8.75% now I think. In NYC though, it's around 8%, I'm pretty sure it's 8.35%. And the city itself's tax is 4%, but you have to add in a whole bunch of other stuff.

As for being able to get the money back, I'm not sure.
:eek: Sales tax here is 14%

Google Guru said:
:eek: Sales tax here is 14%
"Free" health care

And here it's 8% I think. I bought something in Montgomery (Alabama capitol) and it was 10%, I was all OMG! :confused:

root said:
OK...

How many cds are you planning on buying? enough to make it worth it to claim back the tax!!

All those rates should suit root fine, he's English like me, VAT, value added tax, our version of sales tax is a staggering 17.5%!!

Brookfield said:
All those rates should suit root fine, he's English like me, VAT, value added tax, our version of sales tax is a staggering 17.5%!!

It is but i always like the fact that when you walk into a shop with 50p take a can of drink to the counter and buy it all you need is that 50p

in america you then have to get more money out because the tax hasnt been added yet and you need your trusty calculator

135791 said:
It is but i always like the fact that when you walk into a shop with 50p take a can of drink to the counter and buy it all you need is that 50p

in america you then have to get more money out because the tax hasnt been added yet and you need your trusty calculator
yeah, after awhile you can figure it out pretty easy :D

Back
Top Bottom