Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default New UPS's

I'm sure you can all remeber my old fairly custom UPS which I posted when I first made it

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1682/upswx0.jpg

I just skillfully acquired 9 of these new UPS
http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDet...ctID=950018496
I've not heard much about the company at all, wondering what people thought. I won't get more than 10 min runtime on those with my PC unfortunately.

I had this idea, with the "surge only" ports to cut off the leads to them, and solder the leads directly to the 12 volt line. This way I could use my old battery packs, and get 3-6 hours runtime off the UPS. This is fairly safe, I blew up my old UPS when the wall jack came off the side and shorted out.

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: New UPS's

get a PSU with a very high efficiency rating first, that way there is as little wasted energy as possible, then i would look into arranging those batteries(im pretty sure they are arent they) into a series and you should get a lot of run time. if you could get away with ~450 watts needed for your computer then you could get just under 9 hours of run time with all of the the UPS's

Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
get a PSU with a very high efficiency rating first, that way there is as little wasted energy as possible, then i would look into arranging those batteries(im pretty sure they are arent they) into a series and you should get a lot of run time. if you could get away with ~450 watts needed for your computer then you could get just under 9 hours of run time with all of the the UPS's
I have a high efficiency power supply, computer draws alot less than 450 watts, so I should be good. And yes the black things are battery's, 4 X 6 volts. I put two in a series, and than i hook both pairs up in parallel.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816

see if you can hook 3 up in a series and hook those 2 sets up.

it would also be cool to have a switch, have lets say 3 sets of 3 batteries and have a switch to control which one was being used
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
see if you can hook 3 up in a series and hook those 2 sets up.

it would also be cool to have a switch, have lets say 3 sets of 3 batteries and have a switch to control which one was being used
3 in series would would be 18 volts

I can only run two of those cells in series ever, rest need to be in parallel.

I'd need massive massive relay's to do switching as well, and having a switch is pointless, all battery's equally drained at the same rate. Only thing was the UPS took a full 3 days to fully charge them from dead.

I may get more battery's, those are the battery's that are used to backup phone line's in Canada. After 5 years they get scrapped, and they are for the main part still in great condition. 200 were thrown out a few months ago, when the next batch comes may pickup another 4 or so.

I consume
158 watts while idle,
190 watts using 50% CPU,
220 watts while using 100% CPU,
253 watts peak while booting

450 is fine
Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Golden Master

oops, delete this please.