Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to esa193
Default new state of matter wow

http://gizmodo.com/5324925/scientist-turn-aluminum-into-strange-completely-new-matter-state
Quote:
Scientists at the FLASH free-electron, high intensity laser facility in Hamburg, Germany, have created a completely new state of matter, transforming aluminum into something "that nobody has seen before," an exotic material which is transparent to ultraviolet radiation:
According to Professor Justin Wark—from the Oxford University's Department of Physics—the discovery is "almost as surprising as finding that you can turn lead into gold with light!" They achieved this alchemical miracle by knocking down a "core electron from every aluminium atom," but without disrupting the metal structure with the laser bombing.
Wark says that this will give them insight into the creation of miniature stars with high-power laser implosions, "which may one day allow the power of nuclear fusion to be harnessed here on Earth." Or destroy us all. [Physorg]
wow i wounder how many unknown states of matter there could be?

http://gizmodo.com/5325069/what-is-this
Quote:
The engine room of the next Enterprise? A glimpse at the heart of some new particle accelerator? The lens of a new US military laser?
Actually, it's the multifunctional hall of the BMW Welt energy-efficient factory, designed as "a solar-heated, naturally ventilated sub-climatic area." The air flow is generated by thermal currents and turbulences that start on the building's façade and roof, which are guided by strategically placed vents across the structure.
mad cooling looking....

http://gizmodo.com/5324982/the-underwater-express-lets-you-cruise-in-a-gigantic-gas-bubble-at-100-knots
Quote:
While most DARPA projects never materialize, the Underwater Express mini-submarine project is entering the test phase. If successful, the Underwater Express will be capable of going 100 knots—far faster than the 30 knots today's subs can muster.
To achieve the amazing speeds, the sub utilizes a hydrodynamic effect known as supercavitation. When the Underwater Express achieves enough speed, a gas bubble envelops the vessel and reduces drag allowing it to achieve speeds not otherwise possible—not unlike the USS Enterprise's warp field. The submarine's designer, Electric Boat, is working on a one-quarter scale model for sea trials off the coast of Rhode Island. If the trials are successful, Electric Boat will begin production on a full scale 100-foot submarine. Seals had better watch out, I doubt the Underwater Express will feel remorse as it rams into adorable marine life at 100 knots. Unlike the regular express where all you see is bums peeing on the wall, here you get to see sharks explode. [Popular Science

MacArthur wrestling pwns!
esa193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Omnicide now.

Default Re: new state of matter wow

Wow cool.
If this gets approved, that's what, 6 now?

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

5 i think?
solid gas liquid plasma this

Old 07-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Omnicide now.

Bose-einstein condensate.

Really cool $#%T. When you get matter extremely close to absolute zero, it can defy gravity and stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose%E2...ein_condensate
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

i found more cool stuff im finding a lot today haha

some green eco tips saves mad money
http://www.popsci.com/environment/ar...opular-science

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-07/e-coli-used-build-bacterial-computer-solve-complex-equations
Quote:
E. coli can do a lot more than wreak havoc within your digestive system. Scientists have made strides over the years turning the little microbe species into computational workhorses. Now a team of scientists at Missouri State Western University and Davidson University has devised a bacterial computer that can solve complex equations, using the bacteria as the brains.
The E. coli were able to solve a problem known as the Hamiltonian Path Problem--wherein, amongst a series of points, the challenge is to route a path on a graph from beginning to end, visiting each point only once.
This feat is accomplished by programming a genetic circuit in the colony of bacteria, which then generates all possible paths it could take to reach the end goal in Hamiltonian fashion. The graph is made to look like DNA segments so that the E. coli can interpret it properly.
This comes just weeks after researchers at Boston University and MIT found it possible to teach the bacteria how to count, and continues to keep hope alive for the future of biocomputing.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:41 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Hm. Pretty cool stuff. Hopefully we don't have invisible knights in not so shining armour anytime soon.

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 AM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev

haha thats pretty awesome.

Let's see religion beat that! oh wait...god doesnt exist.
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat_sagdiyev View Post

Seriously? Why does it always have to be oh new science, religion can't beat it.
Oh new religion science can't be it.
Why the choosing of sides?!

Why can't this discovery just be something good to have happen for human kind in general and not a battle of religion vs science?

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:59 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat_sagdiyev View Post

You're a f-tard. GTFO. Respect other peoples' beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampist View Post
Seriously? Why does it always have to be oh new science, religion can't beat it.
Oh new religion science can't be it.
Why the choosing of sides?!

Why can't this discovery just be something good to have happen for human kind in general and not a battle of religion vs science?
Man, no crap. It's so ridiculous. Just shows how intelligent and respectful some people are.