New quad toys

Here's a screen capture from a movie I shot last week. (Had to go back and check the movie library.)
attachment.php

That's at roughly 150 feet. That roofer caught hell over the patchwork he did on my office roof. Sad thing is it still leaks. The lighter triangle is the replacement for what blew off in the storm a few weeks back.

Last edited:
Damn you're a lucky camper now aren't you.. I'm really surprised you can go that far without going out of range. One time my Dad bought a single blade chopper, and decided he wanted to know its max range, so he just flew straight up, it was getting hard to see but still wasn't out of range. Until the wind came and took the Heli in its stream until it was out of range. Sounded kinda like - Bzzzzzzz Rawraaw Bzzz crash clank bing bong...:whistling:

I've read 900+ feet on this thing. But with the GPS guided "return to home" if the flight controller got a good fix on the home point, when it goes out of range, it will go full autonomous and return to home and land. For 500 bucks it better tuck me in at night.

And just to point out why I'd post this in a computer forum, if not for modern computer technology, we wouldn't have these sophisticated models to play with. The NAZA flight controller is nothing more than a micro computer running a very complex program. Even the ESC that control the motor speeds has its own micro computer in each one. Some higher end brands allow you to get in to the programing to set the parameters. My Spektrum DX7s is a micro computer based transmitter. It can be programmed for 20 different models and lets you call for each model from a menu.

The RC model hobby as we know it today is mostly thanks to those that paved the way to miniature computer systems. Smart, powerful, fast, reliable systems that run on whispers of battery power and weigh next to nothing. External sensors also play a large part of our hobby. Gyros, barometers, accelerometers, GPS, and on and on.
With out these I can assure you flying a remote control model becomes a serious challenge. The old timers did it and my hat's off to them, but todays RC model enthusiast comes from many different walks of life and age ranges that have the enthusiasm but don't have the old school skills. With modern computer and electronics technology even young kids are getting to fly.
However it still takes starting off with the basics and simple hardware and working your way up to the more sophisticated models. It can be done. It just depends on how bad you want to and how deep your pockets are.

Back
Top Bottom