New Photo Comp Rules?

Agreed. I don't see a point in a photo comp if you can edit it in photo shop in even the slightest way. It should be about your photo taking skills 100%

I think the only exception to that would be like a color splash type of competition. Take a photo, make it black and white and return one part of the photo to color for emphasis.

Example from a movie, the little girl's red coat in Schindler's List.

I agree, only if the photo comp. calls for black n white photos or inverted photos. :)

Last edited:
Ok so let's recap coz I think we need to progress with our next competition quickly.

1. The photo has to be considered to have met / be of the competition subject, the person who decided upon the subject (the last winner) has the final say as to if the photo should be included.

2. The photo should be taken by the person submitting it, this includes the use of remote shutters / timers, but excludes other people pressing the shutter.

3. The photo should not be edited in any way unless specified by the person deciding the subject (the last winner)

* Any question / debate over any particular photo on any 1 particular competition should be decided / resolved by the person who chose the competition subject (the last winner).

** Any question / debate over the rules set for all competitions should be discussed between all members of the forum.

These aren't my rules I've put these together based on what the majority of peoples opinion seems to be and I think that has covered the areas we have discussed?

Any further thoughts / opinions?

Sounds great.
May a suggest that color correction in photoshop should allowed at least, but further editing should be up to the winner to decide if allowed or not. I can edit the color on my camera before i take the shot, but it's just easier to correct color on a bigger screen.

I think that editing is a part of photography, but i would be happy enough with the rule above.

I suggest referring to these rules (if approved), one way or another, in every competition!

Somehow like making a sticky and link it in the competition!

Statements like "Please read the rules before posting" would be a good way to prevent expressions like "oh, sorry I didn't know"!

I'm in favor 100% with not editing the photo, even if the host approves of it! It requires extra skills other than photography itself which I think could be unfair to some photographers!

Ok so let's recap coz I think we need to progress with our next competition quickly.

1. The photo has to be considered to have met / be of the competition subject, the person who decided upon the subject (the last winner) has the final say as to if the photo should be included.

2. The photo should be taken by the person submitting it, this includes the use of remote shutters / timers, but excludes other people pressing the shutter.

3. The photo should not be edited in any way unless specified by the person deciding the subject (the last winner)

* Any question / debate over any particular photo on any 1 particular competition should be decided / resolved by the person who chose the competition subject (the last winner).

** Any question / debate over the rules set for all competitions should be discussed between all members of the forum.

These aren't my rules I've put these together based on what the majority of peoples opinion seems to be and I think that has covered the areas we have discussed?

Any further thoughts / opinions?

Perfect. (ten characters)

Sounds great.
May a suggest that color correction in photoshop should allowed at least, but further editing should be up to the winner to decide if allowed or not. I can edit the color on my camera before i take the shot, but it's just easier to correct color on a bigger screen.

I think that editing is a part of photography, but i would be happy enough with the rule above.

Biker, I personally was in favour of a small amount of editing for the photos but from what I can gather from the posts the majority of the members decided no editing at all.

Which is fine by me, sometimes we have to abide by rules we don't necessarily agree with.

I know we still have some members left to comment / provide feedback on these rules but shall we invite Mr Briggs&straton to decide upon the next subject and get us started again, with these rules for the minute as it seems like most members will be / are in agreement but in the knowledge that if lots of members disagree or come up with something else to talk about we can go back to this discussion?

Yes, it's time to move on.

Although technically the week of voting isn't over until tomorrow, but I don't see a reason to delay the inevitable.

Yes, it's time to move on.

Although technically the week of voting isn't over until tomorrow, but I don't see a reason to delay the inevitable.

Oh my bad!
I think because we have been debating these rules for a while it seems like it's been ages since the voting thread started :)

I am happy with the rules that we all put together, now we can move onto the competitions....Good luck to all members who enter. ;)

Back
Top Bottom