The New MacBook Air

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
Got the e-mail this morning. As an avid PC user and a critic of Mac computers, I actually look forward to reading reviews about this revision and possibly purchasing one, too. If I'm not happy, I'll sell it to someone on the forum for a good discount.

I've wanted an extremely thin notebook for work, but the previous Air didn't have great battery life. Apple claims 7 hours for the 13" model now.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

macbook-aircraft-large.jpg

Thoughts?

Funny story related to Macs... Yesterday I was flipping through the 20 or so channels we have. One is a local channel where they only have news on during the evenings or something. Other hours, they have a slideshow of the school lunch menus, lol. Well apparently it runs off a Mac, cause yesterday the channel just had a screen up with an error message saying PowerPoint was closed unexpectedly. I lol'd.

Yeah, it is one sexy piece of machine. While you are right in saying that it offers "netbook performance" at such a steeper price, I see a couple of things that netbooks can't offer (and I own two personally, an Asus and an Lenovo):

1. The size of the screen + size of laptop
2. Battery Life

I don't see any other alternatives when it comes to this combo. If the battery life is indeed true, then it's a great combo for a 13" laptop. I've been using my Eee for almost two years, but the 10" screen gets annoying after a while.

You gotta mention, though, that Asus' Eee Seashell netbooks are really, really thin as well, and can be a viable candidate for less than a third of the price.

Yeah, it is one sexy piece of machine. While you are right in saying that it offers "netbook performance" at such a steeper price, I see a couple of things that netbooks can't offer (and I own two personally, an Asus and an Lenovo):

1. The size of the screen + size of laptop
2. Battery Life

I don't see any other alternatives when it comes to this combo. If the battery life is indeed true, then it's a great combo for a 13" laptop. I've been using my Eee for almost two years, but the 10" screen gets annoying after a while.

You gotta mention, though, that Asus' Eee Seashell netbooks are really, really thin as well, and can be a viable candidate for less than a third of the price.

I've seen 12 inch netbooks lately. Here's one. http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1928&maincat_no=135

As far as battery life, ASUS has this thing owned. http://notebooks.com/2010/05/17/asus-introducing-13-hour-netbooks/

The lenovo ideapad S12 is 12 inches and gets 6 hours of battery life in real world tests.

I really don't understand why thickness matters, since that is mainly aesthetic at this point. Can you really not spare an extra inch in your bag for the sake of saving $600?

I prefer the Aircraft :p

Seriously, that's Apple...getting their products thinner and thinner. I don't know...it's kind of scaring me. Feels like I can break it fast. At least it has 2 USB ports.

Airs never floated my boat, im pretty open minded with my computers i just use what i like best usually. Considering a notebook's size should only be classified by its thickest point (IMO) it only has millimeters of leeway over my MBP, and half the spec for £200 more. + smaller screen, lack of storage space and flimsy feeling which i hate in anything let alone a thousand dollar/pound laptop

side by side

specs_dimensions_11in_20101020.jpg

specs_dimensions_15_20090608.png

specs_peripheral_11inch_20101020.jpg

specs_connections_15_large20090608.png

Back
Top Bottom