New mac mini

foothead

Omnicide now.
Idk if anyone else got the email from apple, but they have redesigned the mac mini once again. This wouldn't be a big deal to me, except I noticed that the raised the price once again. It is now $700. Does anyone understand apple's tactics here, in no longer having an inexpensive computer? It looks to me like they are doing the whole iMac fiasco once again. In case you don't remember, they used to be $500 back when the mini was released.

I think the problem is that to 'Apple' it isn't an electronic machine anymore...

I can imagine Steve Jobs and Co. looking upon the Mac mini as it sits on a perfectly cut glass pedestal, walking around this 'computer', looking at it from different perspectives...

And SJ would ask, 'How much would you pay for this?'

If Apple really wanted this thing to sell like hotcakes, they should have priced it at $399.99.

iMac fiasco?

The iMac used to be 'internet mac' and was intended to be a low-budget system for students. They kept making them more and more powerful, and kept adding new models, which made the price jump way up and the original target audience was lost, and apple had to release a new system (the mini) for those people. The mini seems to be following the same path.

The new mini is significantly better than the old one was, but there are quite a few people out there who just want a mac for basic tasks, so they would be better off with a slower system that costs less.

This is just my opinion.

The iMac used to be 'internet mac' and was intended to be a low-budget system for students. They kept making them more and more powerful, and kept adding new models, which made the price jump way up and the original target audience was lost, and apple had to release a new system (the mini) for those people.

eMac...

Apple introduced the eMac in April 2002 as a low-cost alternative to the new LCD iMac G4. It was originally intended exclusively for education buyers, but the demand for it was big enough that it was made available to the general public one month later.
The iMac G3 was, by this point, obsolete and low-cost machines were particularly important for the education market. It was still being sold for a while after the iMac G4 debuted, until the G3 found a permanent replacement in April 2002 with the eMac.
^

Back
Top Bottom