Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default New lens for my T2I (550D)?

I know there is a whole thread about 550's but since I didn't start it I didn't want to steal it with this question.

I have the kit lens (18-55mm) but I'm looking for a lens that I can use to zoom in further and take pictures from further away. I'm think about a 55-300mm but am also considering an 18-250mm. I'm looking to stay pretty low on the price scale as well.

Any one have any thoughts/recommendations on what I should get?

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: New lens for my T2I (550D)?

I do find the 18-55mm quite limiting to be honest in some cases.
I may have the answer though *checks magazines*

Canon EF-S 55-250/4-5.6 IS

That is the one up from the budget lens, so will probably offer the same quality but will offer a zoom expanding the original.

http://www.testfreaks.com/lenses/can...mm-f-4-5-6-is/

It also seems to be pretty damn cheap

http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/lenses/s...6-3-dc-os-hsm/
That doesn't seem too bad either, and will do the entire range. Just make sure you get the Canon fit

Old 10-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

These are the two I'm looking at. It looks like the first one is the same as the one you linked me to.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras (LINKED)

Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras (LINKED)

I also looked at the Sigma in your 2nd link but ruled it out (I don't remember why now as I had about 7 or 8 I was looking at and narrowed it down to the above two. Any thoughts or opinions on those. I'm probably leaning towards the Tamron since Amazon is saying it's almost 70% off and I've heard Tamron's lenes are good.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

The Tamron 18-250mm doesn't have very good corner performance compared to the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6, but it's more expensive at around $500.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography..._18_250_4.html
Old 10-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Well I'm just starting out and don't want to spend $500 for a lens. Plus I like that I won't have to change lenses (matters much more than corner performance to me at this point).