New job

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Check this out: http://www.alcon.com/en/alcon-locations/us-huntington-wv.asp

Orientation/ training is tomorrow (Monday) at 8:15 AM.

This place supposedly is great. They start at $10 an hour, guarantee overtime (so $15 an hour for anything over 40 hours a week, which I know for a fact I will get from friends who have worked there before), and they are unionized so full benefits, retirement plans, etc..

This is so much better than my job at KFC.

I also received an offer for Sheetz, which I interviewed for and am hoping I hear back from soon. If I got hired at Sheetz, too, then goodbye KFC.

All in all, with these two jobs, my financial situation may pretty well be over. It will never be completely over until my mom gets Social Security, but this will help ease the tensions.

Good luck man! I should be getting a job at a CostCo pretty soon. That pays like 16 dollars an hour or something.

Nice, 63803, that's pretty awesome.

For me, working with Alcon could be a lifelong decision because they have GREAT benefits, and I'm sure after awhile I'd get pay raises and such. Like I said in the original post, they are unionized and I have wanted to work for a union all of my life. I am a huge fan of unions.

I'm only 18 and I stand a chance of making more money than my mom did as an LPN (when she could work, that is.) The only difference is that I will be working two jobs.

Oh yeah, Alcon is ranked 74th out of the top 100 companies to work for by Forbes: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2009/snapshots/74.html

Ha, off topic...

but it seams Pittsburgh does well in the fortune 500, we got 8 Companies in the top 500

Went to orientation today. The facility I'm working at is just mind blowing. The product they make (or should I say, I will be making) is just insane.

The product I will be manufacturing is known as the ACRYSOF IOL (Intraoccular Lens.)

For once in my life, I feel like that I am important to someone, somewhere in the world. This may be a life-long decision I have made to work with Alcon Labs. I really hope it is.

Working on the production line actually making the lenses. Well, the molding and laying out the materials, and then feeding them through a machine that does the work. This must all be done while maintaining US FDA and European ISO standards.

I'm not sure if I will be working in the uncontrolled environment or in the clean room. I'm hoping for clean room because that is where the most important work is done (sterilization and inspecting to make sure the lens is perfect.) I also wouldn't mind working in what they call a "bunny suit" (sterile work garments that MUST be worn inside the clean room.)

I'm starting off as a temporary, but 99.5 percent of all temps usually get asked to return as a full time employee, and over 95 percent of the workers there have been there for 20+ years.

Back
Top Bottom