Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default New FDE Drives!

Hey just heard about these and thought they would be pretty sweet for added security.

Seagate is creating a newFDE drive which stands for Full Disk Encryption.

Seagate is in the works for creating these for home use. Basically its goverment level encryption for the home user.

The way it works is it has a built in drive encryption seperate of your actual OS. This means before you even boot into windows you need to put in a password for the harddrive to unincrypt the data, and undergo other security measures such as fingerprint scanning then boot into windows. I'm sure most of you have a fingerprint reader by now anyways. Of course then you would have to enter your windows password etc to get into windows. The goverment lables this technology as AES. Not sure what AES stands for though.

Another great feature is a complete erase of the drive via deleting the encryption key making it extremely easy to erase your drive completely. Much more secure then just reformatting which can sometimes leave data behind.

This seems like something thats going to become standard equipment in PC's down the road here. Source was from the latest issue of Computer shopper.

ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy
Default Re: New FDE Drives!

AES stands for Advanced Encryption Standard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ption_Standard

My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816

i dont see what there is to protect, the only thing i can see is your credit cards\passwords, but those are pretty hard to get even if you have physical access to the computer, you would have to use key loggers.
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
i dont see what there is to protect, the only thing i can see is your credit cards\passwords, but those are pretty hard to get even if you have physical access to the computer, you would have to use key loggers.
Well its not just that. I do pretty much everything online. IE my taxes all my banking etc. I download statements and historys from my bank to my computer. I want it to be as hard as possible for someone to get in and see personal info.

Its a step in the right direction. Imagine how many people have sensitive info like this on there computer. It would be more benificial for labtop users in case it was to get stolen because its fairly easy to crack windows.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #5
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816

i see...well im 14 so i leave that stuff to my parents
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03