New Cell Phone

AMMO35

Beta member
I'm starting college and need a smartphone to do my email and banking on and such. I am with Verizon but don't know whether to get an iPhone or Droid. My brother and sister have iPhones so I'm more familiar with these, plus I have an iPod Touch already. As someone who is tech-savvy would it be worth it to get a Droid phone since it has more options without the iron fist of Apple, Inc. ruling over it (like iWhatever)? I hear they are more customizable but I don't really know to what extent. I also hear I could get all of their apps and music for free. I find this hard to believe. So those of you with Droids, or just an opinion, please help out. Thanks!

imho, the Droid would be a better option as many of the apps, not all, are free. However, you have to think about what you already have from the iTunes store. You can't simply download copyrighted songs onto any device for free. If your entire library is already on the iPod, you would be able to transfer the files from your iPod to your computer with iTunes, then copy them to the Droid and continue your purchases through a Droid app.

I like android a lot. Verizon has some decent ones too, but I haven't kept up with theirs so much. EVO 3D is an awesome phone, but that's Sprint. Battery life is a bit weak though...

I'm going to go for a Samsung Galaxy S2 I think, anyone used / had experiences with them. Seem pretty solid if im honest, and its only the price (normally dont spend that much) putting me off.

Personally I don't like the andriod OS, I just don't find it very easy to work with. Have you thought about any windows phones?

Personally I don't like the andriod OS, I just don't find it very easy to work with. Have you thought about any windows phones?

I wouldn't consider WP7. It's pretty much a flop at this point, so unless something amazing happens, expect little application support in the future.

I personally prefer Android. Once you learn how it works (which doesn't take long), it's wonderful. You won't get paid apps for free though (at least not legally), but there seems to be a much higher percentage of free apps compared to iOS. As far as music, it supports most standard formats, so you can just copy/paste music files into the music folder and go, No need for any special programs or being tied to a single computer like iOS. You can also download MP3s within the phone's browser, which is nice. iOS does have the advantage in gaming, but android is getting there.

I wouldn't consider WP7. It's pretty much a flop at this point, so unless something amazing happens, expect little application support in the future.

Windows Phone 7 is a fantastic, intuitive mobile operation system. I'd highly recommend it over Android.

I personally prefer Android. Once you learn how it works (which doesn't take long), it's wonderful. You won't get paid apps for free though (at least not legally), but there seems to be a much higher percentage of free apps compared to iOS.

The percentage of crap applications is also higher on Android versus iOS. I think that's all universally agreed upon. iOS is host to some of the best mobile applications - both free and paid.

I think that side by side, iPhones would really look nice and gives an edge in terms of being in with the crows but being a tech savvy, I would suggest that you go with the android as it just has a lot more to offer. I guess the only difference with the iPhone is the populated app store and support for a special email, which is looking to get to the android shore, soon as well.

Since you are already have iTunes and music and know people with iPhone, I would say go with the iPhone. I honestly am displeased with the performance of Android OS and would prefer the iPhone. iPhone is worry free and just simply works. Android is still great but only if you want to spend the time tinkering with it.

Back
Top Bottom