Need Help Picking out Laptop

Phx_Girl

Beta member
Hello! I'm new here.:p

I know my way around my computer pretty good, and can figure things out, most of the time. But I'm definately not a computer programmer or even close.

I'd like some help picking out a new laptop. I would like to sell my computer and get a laptop I can use at home and take w/ me on the road.

Here's what I want from my laptop:

I want/need Outlook, Word, Xcel
Download some pictures from my camera. I don't need to store them there, I can always get something else to store my pics.
I need to be able to surf the internet, FAST. I know some of that depends on my service provider, but I want my laptop to be fast if I give it the right tools. We do a lot of live auctions and we need to have the fast computer for that.
I would like to play dvd's, and have a cd and dvd burner, and I think many come w/ a web cam.
I also need to connect my Ipod, phone and things like that.

What should I be looking for in a laptop, which one would you recommend - for my needs and wants??

Also, how much can I sell my current home computer for?? I have absolubtely no idea:
17" Dell LCD w/ speakers attached
Wireless keyboard and mouse
Dell Dimension 8400
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.000GHz
2.99 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
Windows XP Pro Version 2002
CD/ DVD burner
Floppy disk,
USB, Ethernet connections
Bought in 2004

Thank you for all your help!!

all of the things you listed every modern laptop can do. some other things that you may want to consider when having a look is the size and resolution of the screen (size of screen will also determine the size of laptop) and the amount of battery life it has. i recommend centrinos for cpus when it comes to laptop as the were designed for laptops and it would be ebough for that you want to use it for

I would recommend a laptop with an amd cpu if you don't have alot of money to spend as you can get a better computer for cheaper if its an amd
but if money isn't much of a concern then intel centrinos would be your best bet.

your current pc will probably sell for about $130 US

yea, any modern comp would do that, I would recommended something with 2 gigs of ram, and a nice processor, preferably amd to keep costs down.

as far as internet speed, if it is wireless, go with wireless n. almost like its wired then.

Thank you for all the awesome info. I feel more confident shopping for a laptop, knowing alomost any of them will meet my needs. As far as wireless N, is that the kind of router I should get, or is that also going to be for the Laptop?? What do I look for in a laptop, as far as being able to connect w/ my current internet connection??
Currently I have a wireless G router.
When away, what's the best way to connect to the internet, using my mobile phone (verizon) get a card from them or look for free wifi connections??
Sorry, for all these questions, I just want to make sure I get everything I need, and also, I'm not really familiar w/ all these 'terms' or what they do.

$130 for my current computer. I guess I should thank you for confirming my fears, since I paid a LOT more. I figured that's what my computer would go for, somewhere around $150, give or take, in this case take, lol.

you will need a wireless N router and wireless N in the laptop, the wireless G router will work though but it will be sending a wireless G signal which is way slower than N

Back
Top Bottom