Need Help with Dell

hncatali

Beta member
I purchased my Inspiron 1525 in December 2009, three days after getting the computer I started having issues with the AC adapter. I have since have had problems with the computer overheating and shutting down. I sent the computer into the depot in July for it to be fixed, the computer was sent back to me "repaired" but it was not I was still experiencing the same issues. After several hours and multiple conversations with online tech. support they claimed to have yet again resolved the issue, again the issue was never repaired even though they claimed to have fixed it. I finally got fed up and filed a BBB report on October 26, I thought this would get their attention and finally get my computer fixed. I had to wait until my Thanksgiving break to send in my computer because I need to access my computer on a daily basis for school. So anyway, I sent in my computer and was corresponding with a Dell rep. who was constantly rude to me and ignored most of my emails and phone calls. Anyway, I finally told him that he had until Tuesday to update me on the status of the computer since it had been more than a month, finally when I got a response he stated he would call me on 12/31, big surprise he never called me. Today I sent him an email that if he did not respond to me I would be forwarding every single email and conversation to the BBB and the attorney general's office. Within 10 minutes of the email being sent he called me back. While talking to him he informed me that my computer had been physically damaged to the ac adapter port and the motherboard and I would need to pay to have these things fixed. This is a flat out lie, the computer was not damaged when I sent it in. I also asked if the motherboard had been damaged from the computer overheating (the system would get so hot it would literally burn your fingers to the touch), and he said there was no way to tell but it is considered physical damage. I am pretty much at a loss and have no idea where to go next because I did not damage the AC adapter port or the motherboard. I don't even know how I would damage the motherboard. I also asked to speak to a manager or a supervisor but I was told NO that he would be my only form of contact. I am really at a brick wall and have no idea what to do. If I could afford a new computer I would just tell them to send the computer back but I can't. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

I'm not sure about in the US, but in the UK the next step in my mind would be to look at making a claim under the small claims court. If they're really not being helpful in the slightest then this will really make them sit up and listen!

The AC adapter port is soldered directly onto the motherboard. If you put too much pressure on the adapter's cable right there, it'll pull loose over time. The system getting hot just helps that, as it weakens the solder. I've had the same thing happen to my laptop. It will happen to most of them, eventually...that isn't a very good design.

I'm guessing you let it sit in your lap a lot, right?

Back
Top Bottom