Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
In Runtime
 
Gamputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 169
Post Nanotech is gonna kill us?

So I go into this sociology lecture and the prof starts talking about artificial technology coming back to bite the human race. Then he goes on talking about computers, ipods and nanotechnology and says that the faster and faster chips will lead to something called the Grey Goo, and later on, high capacity AI that will dominate human race...

What do you guys think (Matrix much)?
__________________

Gamputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Nanotech is gonna kill us?

http://www.cyberdynegauges.net/

Cyberdyne exists. As of now, they only make gauges. If they start making artificial intelligence defence systems... named Skynet, beware.
__________________

__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Site Team
 
David Lindon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,233
Default Re: Nanotech is gonna kill us?

Yeah I suppose its possible, AI that surpasses us in inteligence/brute strength we could have a terminator situation on our hands!
__________________
[url=http://www.LNXPS.NET]LNXPS.NET - The XPS Library]
David Lindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Nanotech is gonna kill us?

Quote:
So I go into this sociology lecture and the prof starts talking about artificial technology coming back to bite the human race. Then he goes on talking about computers, ipods and nanotechnology and says that the faster and faster chips will lead to something called the Grey Goo, and later on, high capacity AI that will dominate human race...
All the while it's just a sociology lecturer rambling on, I wouldn't take any notice. If he really knew that much (or anything) about nanotechnology he'd be lecturing on that instead of sociology.

If a respected computer science / electronics lecturer started saying the same thing, THEN I might be a bit more worried.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Nanotech is gonna kill us?

Sociollogy is one of those subjects like literature, where it can end up just being the bias opinions of the teachers, you need to be careful there.
__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 59
Default Re: Nanotech is gonna kill us?

meh, we're all dead in 2012 anyways so who cares?
Mantook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: Nanotech is gonna kill us?

It's almost like a paradox:

If you invent a computer that is smarter than a human being then that computer could invent other computers that are smarter than it, which in turn would invent even smarter computers. Ultimately, the human race would fall behind in a flash.

AI is dangerous.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
sniperviper21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 5,438
Default Re: Nanotech is gonna kill us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantook View Post
meh, we're all dead in 2012 anyways so who cares?
this has been said so many times about past years in the human history.

and i dont think this needs to continue past my post.




but, i think someone out there needs to create a weapon to combat these smart AI's before its to late lol.

someone, make a super virus lol
__________________
You got to have a Fiddle in the band!
sniperviper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
63083's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,129
Default Re: Nanotech is gonna kill us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lindon View Post
Yeah I suppose its possible, AI that surpasses us in inteligence/brute strength we could have a terminator situation on our hands!
All (or at least a good portion of the worlds' leading scientists) working together on a secret AI project, could create something FAR more intelligent, strong, and free-thinking than any human ever could be. And if it is this intelligent, it could easily learn to make strong physical materials purposely strengthening itself for one purpose....domination.
__________________
XPEX Vortex 3620 Mid Tower, Rosewill 450 Watt PSU, MSI P6N SLI Platinum 650i, Intel Celeron D 356, 2GB G.SKILL DDR2 800, Western Digital 40GB, (2) EVGA 7950GT 256MB Video Cards in SLI, HP DVD Multi-Burner, Windows XP.
63083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Nanotech is gonna kill us?

Quote:
All (or at least a good portion of the worlds' leading scientists) working together on a secret AI project, could create something FAR more intelligent, strong, and free-thinking than any human ever could be. And if it is this intelligent, it could easily learn to make strong physical materials purposely strengthening itself for one purpose....domination.
Quote:
If you invent a computer that is smarter than a human being then that computer could invent other computers that are smarter than it, which in turn would invent even smarter computers. Ultimately, the human race would fall behind in a flash.

AI is dangerous.
Seriously guys... it does seem like you're thinking in science fiction rather than the real world. The world's leading experts in this field have been focusing on AI for a good few decades now, and we're still not at the point where anything they've created, however complex, can hold a simple conversation without giving away the fact it's actually an automated bot underneath.

It's a slow, slow slog, and our intelligence and knowledge as the human race is increasing far more rapidly than any of the bots out there.

Personally, I think if you're going to worry about something being dangerous there's far more pressing things around...!
__________________

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0