Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
Golden Master

Post Myspace - Banned

Social networking could be banned in American schools and libraries if the US House of Representatives gets its way.

It's passed the Deleting Online Predators Act (DOPA) by 410 votes to 15 and under the proposal, publicly funded organisations would be prevented, "from allowing young people to access sites that have chat rooms or 'social networking' elements," says The Register.

Adults would have to ask ask for permission to enter sites such as MySpace, favoured hunting grounds for online sexual predators.

DOPA was introduced by congressman Michael Fitzpatrick and covers federal institutions that received funding for computers and net access via the US E-Rate scheme - primarily schools and libraries.

The American Library Association (ALA) estimates that two-thirds of US libraries receive this funding, says the BBC, going on, "It requires these organisations to put in place filters to stop children viewing social networking sites where they might be subject to 'unlawful sexual advances'.

But opponents argue definitions in the law are so vague they could take in a, "vast array of existing commercial websites and damage the business potential of those sites and the research capabilities of schools and libraries," says The Register, adding:

"It will be left to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to decide what sites come under the control of the Act. Civil liberties groups are arguing in other legal disputes that the communications regulator already wields too much power."

But, "We think it is a very unwise bill," the Guardian Unlimited has Rick Weingarten, director of information technology at the American Library Association, saying, going on:

"The definition that they tried to cobble together covers an enormous range of very beneficial applications. By blocking access to those applications only in libraries and schools what they have done is to block access to those kids who have no other way to get access.

"People join these virtual groups for all sorts of beneficial reasons, including getting information or joining support groups ... You get in a morass every time you try to block technology."

Now MySpace has started an online petition called Save Your Space saying DOPA is against freedom of speech online.

"Perhaps the scariest part of this legislation is that no one involved appears to actually use the websites or resources in question," says the petition site.

"It is uncomfortable - to say the least - that those most unfamiliar with this form of communication are trying to seize control of it. Do they honestly believe that millions of people are predators? Or are they willing to punish millions of responsible people for the actions of just a few? We understand the need to protect children from predators, but we believe that this protection must first start in the home and not be mandated by the federal government. HR 5319 in its current form endangers every American's right to freedom of speech."

On freedom of speech ....
The thought that "those most unfamiliar with this form of communication are trying to seize control of it" resonates loudly.

Senator Ted Stevens, chairman America's Commerce Committee and, "one of Washington's leading players on technology policy," says the Net is a series of tubes and, "what happens to your own personal internet? I just the other day got ------ an internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday and I just got it yesterday. Why? Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the internet commercially."

But speaking of freedom of speech, Andrew Raff wrote and recorded a song based on Stevens' message and posted it on MySpace.

Raff admits his parody wasn't all that funny. But then, nor were Stevens' views.

Notwithstanding, "MySpace has deleted your profile because we received a credible complaint of your violation of the MySpace Terms of Services," says a MySpace termination statement addressed to Raff.

Hmmm. Wonder where the complaint originated?

"If we delete your account, it cannot be reinstated," adds MySpace.com.

"Thank you."

Source: http://news.kceasy.com/story/9681

LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Myspace - Banned

I think it's a great idea, personally.

When I was still at school (left school just over a year ago now), Bebo was all the rage. People would sit for ages and ages during lessons just gawping at it, and calling people over to laugh at somebody else's profile etc., even when the other person was in the room.

It was just a form of time-wasting and bullying, and I got really tired of it because very little ever changed. Reading journals was boring, drawing on the whiteboard was boring, and seeing endless pictures of people you despise, rolling around drunk, was so pointless also. I closed my account recently, but reopened it very briefly to see what had changed. I was asked to fill out a form telling people what I was scared of etc., it's just cretinous and pointless.

MySpace is the same - full of whining American emo high-school kids. And using it isn't cool; I heard a group of American girls at University once, and one of them had a younger brother using MySpace, to which the response was "Oh my God, he still uses MySpace?". Add to that a load of stupid backgrounds, crappy embedded songs and dodgy people, and the end result is none too impressive.

Facebook (University version, not the high school one) is the way forward. A carefully moderated site, requiring validation with a University e-mail address, has made it good fun to use, and it's full of like-minded, grown-up, sensible and mature people of your own age. And it looks good. The only thing that irritates me is the Photo Tagging thing, but if you try not to look like a total arsehole then you learn to live with it.

Schools and libraries are there for learning, not for accessing crappy social networking websites, do that in your own time. I think the whole paedophilia issue is part of a wider problem, but it's good that they use it as an excuse to prevent chronic timewasting in academic institutions.

UK31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Trivium Nate

Woot, This is really cool I hope now that my space will get rid of all of the members that are under 16
Trivium Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to joxley1990 Send a message via MSN to joxley1990

Why though, the site is mainly made up of under 16's, dont see why the service can't be used for them as well.
joxley1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Jon. Send a message via Yahoo to Jon.

Quote:
Woot, This is really cool I hope now that my space will get rid of all of the members that are under 16
What gives you the right to say they're not welcome? Cus you're a couple years older?
Old 08-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

^^^ Well I think any age should be allowed to use it. Myspace is quite like real life, just people don't need to leave their house.

I think we go a bit overboard blaming these sites for some sexual assualts, expisally when they happen on sexually matured people.

I know of hookup sites (mainly sex) that let 14 year olds join, and it's completly legal.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

I hate myspace.

And bullying has been going on since the dawn of time. wake up and smell the roses.

And if your head plotican on technology shouldn't you have a basic knowledge on how the shyt that your campigning aganist.

Myspace doesn't say HEY ALL 14 YEAR OLD EMOS WHO WANT TO BE RAPPED BY A OLDER MALE JOIN!
Old 08-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Myspace may have sexual predators, but it also has sexual prey

***Disclaimer*** DJ-CHRIS has never doing anything (sexually) illegal with another myspace member.

EDIT: Added "sexually" due to the fact I have done other illegal stuff with myspace members.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK31337

When I was still at school (left school just over a year ago now), Bebo was all the rage. People would sit for ages and ages during lessons just gawping at it, and calling people over to laugh at somebody else's profile etc., even when the other person was in the room.

It was just a form of time-wasting and bullying, and I got really tired of it because very little ever changed. Reading journals was boring, drawing on the whiteboard was boring, and seeing endless pictures of people you despise, rolling around drunk, was so pointless also. I closed my account recently, but reopened it very briefly to see what had changed. I was asked to fill out a form telling people what I was scared of etc., it's just cretinous and pointless.

MySpace is the same - full of whining American emo high-school kids. And using it isn't cool; I heard a group of American girls at University once, and one of them had a younger brother using MySpace, to which the response was "Oh my God, he still uses MySpace?". Add to that a load of stupid backgrounds, crappy embedded songs and dodgy people, and the end result is none too impressive.

Facebook (University version, not the high school one) is the way forward. A carefully moderated site, requiring validation with a University e-mail address, has made it good fun to use, and it's full of like-minded, grown-up, sensible and mature people of your own age. And it looks good. The only thing that irritates me is the Photo Tagging thing, but if you try not to look like a total arsehole then you learn to live with it.

Schools and libraries are there for learning, not for accessing crappy social networking websites, do that in your own time. I think the whole paedophilia issue is part of a wider problem, but it's good that they use it as an excuse to prevent chronic timewasting in academic institutions.
The big thing at our school currently is www.tagged.com.

I have one.. But I probably havent viewed it sense last year sometime.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #10
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK31337

Bebo is still popular around here <_< ... but everyone visits Piczo now and make their own webpages ... especially the girls, and put pictures of singers all over the site and say I love 'enter name here' or something.

LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote