Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-29-2008, 03:24 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Talking My Roommate and I have a sick apartment plan next year... What do you think

Hey everyone--

Alright for next year in college, my friend and I are living off campus in an apartment together. We each will have our own bedroom/bathroom, then a shared kitchen and living room. We've found a pretty good deal right near campus (it's in Boston!).

He's got a huge screen TV that will go in the living room. Aside from just being a regular tv it will also have wii, xbox 260, ps3, and (see below)

In terms of computer stuff, we've got a pretty cool plan (or so I think). We just finished building a "server" of sorts for our movie collection. It has completely wasted every cent I made over this year, but whatever it's kind of cool. It's 2 2TB hard drives, some sort of good processor (and recommendations?) , 4GB RAM. This stores all of our movies and TV shows and god knows what else.

So this alone is not connected to anything but a monitor for administration. Then, we will have three separate computers. One for both bedrooms and one for living room. We each already have 20" LCD TVs for ourselves so the computers will hook up to those, and be able to access all files on the server.

Lastly, the big tv will be hooked up to a little bit of a nicer comp with good graphics and everything. Each PC will be running Vista Media Center

Surround sound won't be a problem because his dad owns a Speaker/Audio company and has the sickest sound setup in his house i've ever seen --

I know this all seems a little bit ridiculous but its really not going to be too expensive. The server we basically got for free - my old high school rebuilds its servers every single year (the computer department has a HUGE budget). I spent a lot of my summer helping them deploy systems for free, and in return they just give me free old parts they dont need. This includes both of the 2TB hard drives, and all 4GB ram. The processor is something that will cost us though...

For the smaller systems connected to the smaller TVs in our room, we almost have those already built. I have an uncountable number of Pentium 4s that the school gave me, and a bunch of Core 2 Duos, with tons of random RAM lying around. We also both already have nice graphics cards from our own previous purchases

I dont know why i posted this... Just wanted to get suggestions/ideas. Kinda excited about it since my current rooming situation sucks and I cant wait to move on

Old 03-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: My Roommate and I have a sick apartment plan next year... What do you think

Can you post a pic of these 2TB hard drives. Afaik, hard drives max out at 1TB right now.

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Guru

Default Re: My Roommate and I have a sick apartment plan next year... What do you think

That's awesome man!!!! Wanna give me one of those core 2 duos and some ram? lol. that's cool do. Where do you guys go?
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

thats cool. I wanna know how you plan to hook those all up to the TV. I'd also look into getting a tv tuner for the server, and a surround sound speaker setup... that would be the bomb.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
Can you post a pic of these 2TB hard drives. Afaik, hard drives max out at 1TB right now.
You can get them, just looked on Google.. but they are for servers, and that's what they came out of.

They retail around £350/400!

Sounds like a slick setup
"If your going to skate on thin ice, don't be surprised when you fall through!"
McTrAyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrAyN View Post
You can get them, just looked on Google.. but they are for servers, and that's what they came out of.

They retail around £350/400!

Sounds like a slick setup
Got a link? I can't find a single 2TB hard drive (You can find 2x1TB in an enclosure though)
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to Š88

lol cool idea setting up a server.

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Jackson, This server you are going to build, you can stream everything to the tv through either the ps3 or the xbox 360. So then you can just save all movies and things right on the server and when you want to watch them you can either stream them through to the tv or you can each access them individually on your own computers if you wish.

Just letting you know of that since I have a file server and am streaming things through my ps3 to my tv.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

Tommy Boy - thanks for the tips! Thats a really good idea - would I need specific hookups to the server for that?

DJ-CHRIS they're at home (i'm at college right now), but ill try to get some pics up over the summer - i'll have complete pictures of the whole apartment up by next september too, trust me they definitely exist, because I have my own 2TB External HD from newegg - internals are for servers though

Rubber314Chicken - i think the tv tuner idea is a good one, basically put it all through one computer (the "server") instead of buying parts for each separate computer. Would it stream at good speeds or would it be laggy?

JogaBonito1502 - i actually was planning on getting rid of a ton of them, if I do, i will post on this site before anything else (because you guys have always been incredibly helpful around here - i owe it to ya ), but it will probably be after we set up our systems so we know what we do and dont need
Old 03-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Xbox 260?! Wow...