My car... 444444...

I know, right? That's one reason this car (and some variants of it) is popular for a Euro car not just here but also in Russia and and some parts of USA.

On the other hand, Ford Panther Platforms (e.g. Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis) are so popular here that 2000-20012 they were manufactured only for Arabian Gulf Countries for public. There were easy to diagnose and fix.

But hey, I think that should be good for the manufacturers too as it sells their parts and later models of the car.

Hey, SG. I saw a 2003 Crown Vic sitting beside the road for sale, asking $1700. I didn't stop but I did think of you. The body at least looked straight on it.

It's a catch with that price, but being that low gives me thoughts. Unless over there that's what its market worth is. According to my experience, 2005-2008 are the best in these cars.

My CV is with my brother now. His rental-ending-by-ownership car was pulled away from him for not paying due to salary delays (darn law and private sector).

Car manufacturers don't realize that most of their cars are going to end up in Asia, Africa and South America where some unlicensed mechanic has to figure out a way to repair this car. This is why folks in the third world still prefer Japanese cars which are relatively speaking still easier to fix.

what's the difference between a "licensed" mechanic and an "un-licensed" mechanic.

(this concept does not exist in the UK.)

For the most part it's not like people realize their cars are getting old and start driving south/east ready to offload their old car on some poor unsuspecting local. these cars end up (en-mass) in those countries because the manufacturers specifically export to those countries... (so they do realize, - they are paying the shipping!)

besides, there is that much "sharing" in the car world that most mechanics should be able to figure out most other cars based on previous experiences!
(for example if you worked on a Nissan Dci (diesel) engine -as found in the patrol you're good to go on all the Renault and Dacia engines, as Renault just buy the engine direct from Nissan.)

I was assuming that the licensed/unlicensed thing was more like certified/uncertified like it is here in the US. Dealers/manufacturers train and test people and then certify them as knowing how to do certain things to that manufacturer's vehicles. Like a level 1 or 2 technician. Where as the uncertified mechanic is just joe schmoe who owns a garage or was taught by his dad or figured it out by trial and error. I'm not saying one is better than the other though, as i've know both types and there are capable people in both camps, just like there are idiots on both sides...

Non dealer mechanics can be certified. I am out of date but was certified for diesel mechanics. At one time, (don't know about now), Private dealers wanted certified over someone who just had some experience. I worked for dealers like Case or Caterpillar, but made more money and better benefits with the small local shops! I had a friend that was a certified mechanic for GM. He hated working at the dealers. Maybe a car needed a new set of wires for the ignition. The dealer would replace cap, rotor, wires, plugs and points and condenser. He got tired of that kind of service so he quit and started his own shop. He had more service then he could handle in a short time. He ended up expanding and hiring people that were like-minded. When he retired, he sold the shop as the complex of buildings in that block were being torn down and replaced with Subway center for the area. He made out great though. Some of his older customers, they would drive all the way up to West Virginia to have him service there vehicles. Sometimes it pays to take the vehicle somewhere else to have service other than a dealer. I am out of certification, but i haven't done much mechanics for 30 years.

It doesn't require a license or a certificate here to be a free lancing mechanic (I think that's the topic here; free lancing mechanic-ism), which could be bad because there won't be a proof of the profession/capability. As far as I know, all mechanics around me are expats and all it takes is to have the sponsor (as a noun) issue a commercial permit then sponsor (as a verb) an expat under a mechanic profession.

Mind you, that works with this but not necessarily with other professions and a good example is pharmaceuticals (if my English serves me well and that's the right word).

Back
Top Bottom