My Boom Box Project

Celery

Golden Master
I noticed that we are talking about my project on two threads so the rest of the project will be done here.

Pics and all starting May. :cool:

Instant replay:

The Plan:

Raw material:

Tools from Harbor Freight Tools:

Rough cuts with the jig saw:

Block sanding and lots of elbow grease for custom fits:

Bad assembly which was corrected later:

Looking much better:

Paper cut outs for sizing:

Last edited:
Yeah, I asked a question about your project in a different thread. Sorry 'bout that.

With a 240W power supply, if you actually use all that power, you will be generating some heat. Have you thought about ventilation? I would drill some holes in either the top of the box or along the top of the back panel. Might even consider putting in a muffin fan to exhaust some heat.

Well, that unit you listed is supposed to be 60W x 4 which is 240W which just happens to coincide with your power supply which is 12V x 20A or 240W.

Whether you ever use all that power is questionable. Most likely you will only ever use 2 of the 4 channels so that should halve your power requirements right there.

The channels will be bridged (4 into 2) and 240 watts is at full volume. I doubt I'll crank it that much, maybe half at most.

I don't think you'll be able to bridge those channels unless you use an external amp.

I did some current measurements with mine when I first got it and with the volume cranked as high as I was willing to listen, my unit only drew about 1.1A from my bench supply.

On these cheap little units, the power specs they state are laughable. On my unit, they claim 30W perchannel but it can really only produce about 13W per channel cleanly, after that the distortion is so bad a normal person couldn't stand to listen to it.

They don't say what impedance they used either which makes a big difference. An amp that can produce 60W with a 4 ohm speaker, can only produce 30W with an 8 ohm speaker.

Last edited:
I understand all that. The unit I have on the list was going to be 18/channel RMS but I'm not getting that unit as they sold out and resupply uncertain.

However I called Walmart because I haven't heard about the return and they told me they got it and are in the process of sending me the unit I ordered in the first place. I don't really want that unit anymore but I'm going have to change my list of the speakers to cheaper speakers.

When will I receive the unit? No idea. The project is at a stalemate now.

Never mind, I cancelled it. Now I can pick a better unit.

Amazon search is weird. If I use the link that's not my prime link I get a different list. I found the unit with 100% positive reviews and under $30.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom