Murphy's Law

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
So I need some help with my homework, this is my assignment for my public speaking class.

Instructions:
Murphy's Law "If something can go wrong it will." has spawned a whole host of corollaries written by other people. Select one of the following "laws" and tell a two minute personal anecdote (a brief story with a point) illustrating its truth in you own personal experience. (No outline required). The foal of this assignment is to practice your speech delivery. Pay special attention to eye contact, gestures, posture, and voice.

The Unspeakable Law
As Soon as you mention something...
If it's good it goes away.
If it's bad it happens.

Howe's Law
Every man had a scheme that will not work

Zymurgy's First Law of Evolving System Dynamics

Once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a larger can.

Etorre's Observation
The other line moves faster.

Skinner's Constant

That quantity which, when multiplies, divided by, added to, or subtracted from the answer you actually get, give you the answer you should have gotten.

Law of Selective Gravity
An object will fall as to do the most damage.

Jennings Corollary to the Law of Selective Gravity
The chance of the bread falling with the butter side down is directly proportional to the value of the carpet.

Gordon's First Law
If a project is not worth doing at all, it's not worth doing well.

Maier's Law
If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disposed of.

Hoare's Law of Large Problems
Inside every large problem is a small problem struggling to get out.

Boren's First Law
When in doubt, mumble

The Golden Rule of Arts and Sciences
He who has the gold, makes the rules.

Segal's Law
A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

Ninety-Percent Rule of Project Schedules

The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% of the task takes the other 90%

I need help because I don't really know where to start, and get confused on what it actually means. So if you guys can, can you guys give me some examples, like which one will you pick, and how did it deal with your life (real or not), or just give me an example or simple translation on what they would mean. That would help me a lot. Rep to those that helped me. Thanks.

Right mate from what i can see they dont care about your story there just looking for how well you can deliver a speach, so the content doesnt matter to much.

I think you have to pick 1 of the above "sayings" and give your real life situation in which the saying was correct.

Each saying has a real scenario behind it but i dont know your personal experiences so can not think of a sotry but take. . . .

Segal's Law
A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

what i think there getting at here is a man with 2 watches will often be seen as better than a man with 1 . . . but infact the man with 1 will always be sure of the time where as the man with 2 may have conflicts in time so he will not be sure . and the moral if you like could be anything from quantity is not always better to dont make assumptions about people who appear to have the best idea / products.

Its a badly worded assignment if you ask me but as i said there more worried about the way you talk about the story than the content of the story.

- Out of interest what age is this assignement for?

- Out of interest what age is this assignement for?

It's a college class.

Boren's First Law
When in doubt, mumble

You can't fail. :D :D :D

Haha, the teacher even mentioned to us to no do that when doing the speech.

What I was thinking of doing was

The Unspeakable Law
As Soon as you mention something...
If it's good it goes away.
If it's bad it happens.

This is a bit long, so if you want to read the short story instead, it's the quote after this.
Long Story said:
I would say a speech on how I read reviews on an motherboard on how the BIOS should not be flashed, and if I did end up flashing the BIOS, the mobo would be bricked. I quickly assumed that those people didn't know what to do or they flashed it wrong, and if it were to happen to me, the Dual BIOS would kick in. I wanted an new mobo for SLI, and if I were to do that, I would also need an new PSU.
So When I got the motherboard, I went out to get an PSU also. After installation ans all those, I went to the manufacturers web page, and download the the BIOS, and flashed it. At first the flash failed, so I tried flashing again, and it worked the second time. I restarted my computer as told. I was hoping that the flash was actually successful and nothing happened. But after it restarted (past the 'shutting down' screen), I waited for 10 seconds. Nothing appeared in my screen, my head was like "CRAP! Maybe my motherboard did brick." That's when my heart stopped, and time went slowly.
I cleared the BIOS, unlplugged my computer, and all that good stuff, but my computer would still not start. But another problem appeared as I was restarting my computer. When I popped out the CMOS battery, it fell into my PSU (PSU was located on the bottom left side, and has a 120MM fan facing up). I was already frustrated, so I was like "Whatever, what's the worst that can happen.
I was staring at my computer, and press power. I heard a loud 'POP', and a small flash, and my computer shut down. Then I was like "Uh oh..." I kept pressing the power button, but nothing will happen. So I took out the new PSU and put in the the old. I turned on my computer, and I saw something on my screen, seems like the Dual BIOS is actually kicking in. At then, I thought "Oh Snap! It's working." I had a glimpse of hope, but it froze halfway, I waited for 5 minutes anxiously, but nothing happened, so I restarted my computer again. But, I was back at square one, that was when I just gave up and called it a night. $200 out, just like that.

Short Version said:
Long Story short. I said "I think I bricked my new motherboard" (Bad thing and it happened), then after the incident, I said "It's working!" (Good thing, but then it stopped).

Think this story will work? Of course, I would work on it a bit before I speak in front of the class.

Boren's First Law
When in doubt, mumble

You can't fail. :D :D :D

Hahha.

I think the one about the toast landing butter side down is a bit obvious so try one of the other ones. For example talking to someone about how reliable your car is and then next time it won't start etc

Well, I did it in class today, talked about the one that I posted earlier. After I said my name, and which law I chose, my mind went blank. Took me like 10 seconds to start talking, then when I was almost done, my mind went blank again... :eek:
Overall, I did it, and gotta get ready for an demonstration speech for September 8th. I better pass this class, I don't really like public speaking, even though its really important in our life.

what id have done maybe because i have an interest in world affairs law politics etc etc
The Golden Rule of Arts and Sciences
He who has the gold, makes the rules.
Opened the speach by saying how true this saying actually is
then move to another section explaining how "gold" in this day and age is representetive of something of great value , for instance another name for oil is liquid gold and it is of something of value . Then go onto explain how important oil is in our society and how people with oil have great leverage over people without it and over the world economy something along those lines would have been my approach at this

or relate it to something scientific say how sometimes quality research can be called "gold dust" and how people with cutting edge research in science have reqwritten the rules of how things are , for instance cutting edge medical research has changed the rules in terms of medical procedures etc or cutting edge weapon research has changed the rules of engagement in war zones

Back
Top Bottom