Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to zoomtm Send a message via MSN to zoomtm Send a message via Yahoo to zoomtm
Default MS will now require xp users to install SP2 whether they like it or not

Starting next Tuesday, April 12, computers running Microsoft Windows XP without Service Packet 2 installed will not be able to block the upgrade.

An announcement that appeared on Microsoft’s web site provides an explanation for the upcoming upgrade:

“Because of these significant improvements, Microsoft views Windows XP SP2 as an essential security update and is therefore distributing it as a "critical update" via Windows Update (WU) and the Automatic Updates (AU) delivery mechanism in Windows. Microsoft strongly urges customers with Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 1-based systems to update to Windows XP SP2 as soon as possible.”

So ready or not, on Tuesday, “un-patched” boxes will have SP2 downloaded to their networks and computers, but, what happens after that?

The upgrade day, as the second Tuesday of the month, is the same day that Microsoft is scheduling to release its monthly patches.

http://www.ebcvg.com/articles.php?id=670

Old 04-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: MS will now require xp users to install SP2 whether they like it or not

I hate SP2. Does anyone know how to stop it?

Old 04-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

this sucks, I despise service pack 2, it's more trouble than it's worth, it messes up drivers, programs and other things, we'll just see if they can make me install it. besides, You can disable windows update cant you?
ACES WILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to zoomtm Send a message via MSN to zoomtm Send a message via Yahoo to zoomtm
Default Re: MS will now require xp users to install SP2 whether they like it or not

lol yes...but they probaly are going to force you to stop that also..but XP SP2 works fine on all my computers i have had ranging from a p3 to my current system.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
Ant
Solid State Member

Send a message via AIM to Ant Send a message via MSN to Ant

Check out this little Utility. XP-Antispy. Quite a handly little tool.

Quoting www.XP-AntiSpy.org :
'The xp-AntiSpy is a little utility that lets you disable some built-in update and authentication 'features' in WindowsXP.
For example, there's a service running in the background which is called 'Automatic Updates'. I don't know what this service transfers from my machine to other machines on the internet, especially the MS ones. So I play it safe and disable such functions. If you like, you can even disable these functions manually, by going through the System and checking or unchecking some checkboxes. This will take you approximately half an hour. But why wast time when a little neat utility can do the same in 1 minute? This utility was successfully tested by lots of users, and was found to disable all the known 'Suspicious' Functions in WindowsXP. It's customiseable, but comes up with the Default settings, which are recommended'

Have Fun!
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Install Windows 2000 Pro :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lindon
I hate SP2. Does anyone know how to stop it?
Old 04-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #7
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to cheeseman222

i had so many problems installing it, it took me about 2 weeks to sort everything out.
cheeseman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

I have sp2 and had no problem with it.
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

It needs to be done. If you don't want it - turn of Automatic Updates; its not hard. We all need it eventually. Especially people who don't even know it exists. Without SP2; those people don't have a way of knowing SP2 exists - this way its a whole lot simpler for everybody - especially those getting spam e-mails from those without SP2.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:38 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to rakedog

I don't care. I have one windows box that has SP2, two linux boxes. I spend much more time with Linux, so I really couldn't care less about the stupid rules that M$ has now.

The best argument against evolution are creationists themselves. They prove that life is devolving rather than evolving.
rakedog is offline   Reply With Quote