Mr. Lindon

Maurice said:
Your'e good at tweaking, won't David let you do someththing about the auto-save function?, I suggest that saving should be time limited, say half the oldest messages deleted after 2 to 10 days, the actual number of days could be thrashed out between you, no more full intrays!!!
In all modesty, this seems a very good idea, suggest you put it strongly to our boss man, I'm pretty sure that at least he'll have a long look at it, not too long though, I'd like to see it in operation before I turn up my toes!, let me know how it goes.
ill.gif

Maurice
Yes I mentioned I liked the idea of turning auto save off, I'll see what I can come up with,

Computer Genius said:
0 for a newbe??? Na come on it should 5.
Who said newbies get nothing?, that can't be true, that's not fair, although I was a newbie for a very short time, & can't remember, unfair though whenever it was introduced.

Paradox said:
I made up a really long post but got distracted when someone told me to check out another thread lol
*retypes*

Everyone keeps talking about how much space it would take up on a server, Well it wouldn't really take up that much space at all!

Take this page for example, there are 14 posts on it and its only 101Kb, Thats 7Kb per post If you were to give everyone say... 50 PMs space you would only be giving out 360Kb space per person.

Now, You're probably thinking "360Kbs? I have 9377 Members! Thats 3.53 Gigs! More every day!"

Well most of those members are innactive, And that space will never be used anyways. Then there is the whole rating system, you could have it set up each rating has a different ammount.

Newbie: 0PMs
Junior Member: 10PMs
Member: 25PMs
Senior Member: 35 PMs
Guru/Moderators: 50 PMs
You: However many you want cuz its your site lol

If you set it up something like this, its failsafe. You cant become a Guru over night*, And Even if you could no one is going to spam and spam just to get 360Kb of Storage. AOL gives 2 gigs of it for free. And I think its pretty fair too, Longer your here, More space you get to pm with the bigger ammount of friends you've made.

Ok lets just say you have 200 Gurus, 500 Senior Members, 1000 Members, and 2000 Junior members. Going by the way I set it up (You could make any sorts of changes you wanted) But Thats 72500PMs& 507,500KBs Used Space

Not too bad is it? I think thats pretty realistic, Only the active people use pms anyways and all the active people are members-gurus, You could probably even cut Juniors to 5, or even 0.
And That estimation is even overestimated, We most likely dont even have 3700 ACTIVE members

And it would take no more bandwidth than it takes to post in social, not to mention only one person would be on the receiving end of the message instead of maybe 15
*Re; "You can't becom a Guru, overnight" myself I was never a Guru, I was made up to a mod, six weeks from joining,....not bragging, just saying that the allowance of saved PM's should be a lot higher, no matter what your grade is.

Back
Top Bottom