Mom Dies Attempting to Win a Wii

You sure it was a gallon? An American gallon is less than a British gallon IIRC.

IT was american gallon.

yeah probably while working out, this chick was drivin her car, not sweating/using anything in the water, just consuming it
and my friend drinks 8 bottles of water during school everyday, its just a matter of different people

well it was working out... Still I'm sure I could do a gallon sitting down.

This is actually well known fact for those that take ecstasy, and there was a well known death that was actually publicised throughout the UK and sparked a huge hysteria over taking e.

Leah Betts was 18 years old and she had a pill but overdosed on water, I think it was Root that had it pretty right with his answer, you can get overhydrated.

It causes the minerals to diffuse into the blood stream as it effects the electrolytes which controls osmosis and basically reverses the osmotic effect. It will either diffuse into the kidneys where it is excreted as waste causing a deficiency or into the bloodstream where it can cause the cells to swell the brain cannot swell inside the brain and the pressure builds up causing strokes etc.

The signs of over hydraytion is that you can't pee, or the urine is extremely dark inspite of drinking all the water.

I don't believe it is the radio stations fault BUT they should of have had medical staff present on the look out for the symptoms etc, they were irresponsible in that part.

Yeah, even though they told the participants to know their limits and stop if unable to continue, they should've had medical assistance on-site just in case anything should happen.

I read about this, and thought it very strange, and indeed worrying.
For one thing, how can you tell "a limit" has been reached when drinking water?

Your meant for a healthy lifestyle, to drink 8 glasses of water a day. Though even that seems excessive to me.

Kage said:
For one thing, how can you tell "a limit" has been reached when drinking water?

never tried, but I'd assume you would start to feel something. Like with everything else, you go over your limit with alcohol you will know it, same with food. Eat too much and you will know it.

Well, if she decided to intake that much for a Wii, it's rather big. If her bladder blew, a chemical substance in pee is actually a killer. It's not good to hold it in too much, especially with that type of intakes. She should of dropped. It's not recommended to continue such a high pressure and dosage.

And yes, there is a limit. Well, mine has. It will shut the intake off once I have enough water. I'll know it.

In Japan, the contest was to eat as much sushi as you could, Koshi Akimoto won, by eating 10.2 kilos, but died in agony two days later of food poisoning, all contestants had signed a non-liability cause, he was from a poor family, & they were unable to give him a proper funeral.

Before damage would supposedly occur (thats if you don't try and hold it in too often) your bladder would simply release without your control, not explode :p

I have got to a point with drink where it basically seems like its going in and straight out... I guess thats where a limit would apparently be.

about the whole lawsuit thing. I don't think nintendo or the radio station is responcible in any way. The contest was to hold in water the longest, and was not pushed on anyone to do. She decided to do it and decided to go too far. Even if she wasn't sure wat her limit was, if that was even the case, she definatly would have been able to tell she had gone to far by a point before imminent death. (sorry if any of my wording is confusing.)

Sorry, perhaps relating my wife's death here was inappropriate, I thought I'd mention it as the forum subject was centred around bladders.

Back
Top Bottom