Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2006, 11:55 AM   #51
Fully Optimized
 
UK31337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,776
Default Re: Military kids, and why they are better.

Diddums Grandad.

Anyway, back to "buisness".

Nik, I have military experience. What you are is simply a military brat who thinks he's better than everybody else... so what? Anyone can take a coding course, anyone can travel to foreign countries, anyone can make new friends.

So, if you're so much better than everybody else, and military kids really are better, then off you go. Iraq is waiting for you. You're so good you can't possibly lose.
__________________

__________________
Master of common sense. If you don't like it, stop reading.
UK31337 is offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 12:58 PM   #52
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: Military kids, and why they are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK31337
Diddums Grandad.
You're slipping, that was pathetic.
__________________

Brookfield is offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 01:25 PM   #53
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,007
Default Re: Military kids, and why they are better.

I honestly have to say that I don't see the difference between military kids and 'regular' kids.

Nik if you had any kind of idea about what it was like to stay in one place, then you'd know that in the real world where you are able to get real experiances with real people over tmie, then far more things happen than you could ever imagine, people get real life experiance.

I'm saying that I've more experiances than you have cause I've been able to develop long term (social) relationships with people outside my immediate family, this will help me in my career a lot more than it'll help you because you've lived in germany for a couple of years.

You say that it's uniquly different that people who live in europe to those who live in america, how so exactly?
in your first post you say that most american civillians havn't left their state, whilst military kids are dragged around the world to different countries... (and by countries you actually mean small americanised bases, so that you experiance pretty much zero of the actual culture).
driving across state is pretty much the same as driving into scotland from the south of England, Many americans could drive into another state, would that suddenly make them more rounded or experianced people?
many english people travel to different countries to visit, and I'm pretty sure that in their two week visit they experiance probably a whole load more of that culture than you do...
and IMO it's a lot harder and more expensive to get in a plane, or on a boat to leave for a different country than it would be to take a drive or train ride to another state.
it's not different 'cause it's easier, it's different because people here seem to want to see the world, it's not forced upon them!

for the record, I lived in a fairly normal town in the middle of Britain, I've been outside my own country some twenty times, including two trips to live with a french family, and a trip to live with a German family, Italy Once, Jamaica once, Holland twice and France for the other times,

Fact is, that I'm not a military person, but there is a strong chance that I've travelled to more countries than you have, (and given that I was actual in that country interacting with the locals, I've actually probably spent more time interacting with local people of those countries tat you ever have also.


Education, My education, (in terms of basic spelling and grammer) sucks, (my bad, should have paid more attention in school) I only took english to GCSE (16yr old) level and I only got a D for that, (below average), but even with my poor education I could still (if asked to) pick apart your opsts pointing out a ton of basic spelling and grammer errors.

The teachers may be paid more, but if you're never in the same place for very long, how on earth do you build up a repour with your teacher?

IMO your education suffers specificalyl because you move from place to place so frequently.


a school is as good as the brightest people there for civillian schools, if a lot of people excell at maths etc, then the school can apply for status as a center of excellence for maths, (this means that they will get more (specialised) funding, hence be able to gert better teachers/resources, and become a better school), for military schools, money doesn't need to be earned, it's just thriown in.


The point is that even with my modest education I can see that you are no better than anyone else here, either at your level or older.


and before anyone says anything, I don't think I'm any better either...
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #54
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Military kids, and why they are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK31337
Diddums Grandad.

Anyway, back to "buisness".

Nik, I have military experience. What you are is simply a military brat who thinks he's better than everybody else... so what? Anyone can take a coding course, anyone can travel to foreign countries, anyone can make new friends.

So, if you're so much better than everybody else, and military kids really are better, then off you go. Iraq is waiting for you. You're so good you can't possibly lose.
Yeah, maybe his ego will protect him from bullets.
alvino is offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #55
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: Military kids, and why they are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik00117
Why military kids are better then Civilians.

This is a serious post from myself, based on why I believe kids raised in a military community are more mature, smarter etc then civilian students.

1. We see the world when most poeple haven't seen out of their state
2. We hear different languages, we see poeple from different countries interact on a daily basis. Just a lil fact, the bilingual rate among military kids is around 50% civilian its like 20%. Knowing two language is a huge help.
3. We didn't grow up cause we wanted too, we grew up cause we had to.
4. We have one of the best educate systems in the world, for well Teachers are movtiated getting paid double what the avg civilian gets paid.
5. We are raised by parents with a military background. In civilian school a lot of parents are weak minded. In military they aren't.
"Better" is a pretty harsh word to be using. Bare in mind, not everyone has the same chance to do that. Honestly, if I could be fluent in Swedish and English, i'd do it. If I could explore the world, I'd do it.

I agree that parents are too lenient sometimes, mine sure are.
I have to grow up, I don't want to live in a dump working at some McDonalds shit hole.

I don't see why you felt you needed to post this, but whatever.

'Mature' military kids wouldn't brag about why they are 'better'.
MikeReiner is offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #56
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: Military kids, and why they are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik00117
Your in europe, this is mainly refering to Americans.

1) Your in europe
2) Yes, but fluently?
3) You have a good child hood, just not one with the folks around 24/7.
4)I've always had a spelling disability with spelling and so forth, however I have only been in a militarty school for 3 years of my entire schooling. So heh, not DOD educated throughout but when I went from a DOD school to a public I was ahead until about 6th grade went to public in 3rd.
5) Military parents are in a structed society. Example there is a chain of command, which is established very clearly, as it is in my house as well. But some examples. My teacher once told me, he worked in apublic and military school, MILITARY IS SO MUCH EASIER. Because he knows when he rings up that house he is going get a responsbile mature adult. But in public schools theres no telling who his parents are going be like, maybe they will be just as stupid as their kid who knows.

Also again this mainly refering to AMERICANS, not europeans. For the most part Europeans are so close together its difficult to not regurally run into someone that isn't from your country.

Also when I said 40% can speak a 2nd language, i'm implying that they SPEAK IT FLUENTLY. Or at least darn close. I know a girl speaks 4 languages, German, English, itlian, and Spanish. Mainly because her mom is from italy, she lives in germany, and learned spanish well living in spain. And english is a easy one to figure out.

Also you may of visited other countries, but have you lived in other countries? AS A YOUNG CHILD, where you soak up information like crazy.

My selection is limited to some of my freinds, however i've lived in Guam, in 2 different locations in Germany, 3 if you count my grandmas, all over the states, and a for a short period of time in Japan.
Coming from a Canadian... (North American)

(1) I've been out of the country, to Washington.
(2) Most people around here can speak french too, or else you'd be doomed when visiting Quebec.
(3)
(4) Canada has a good education system. What difference does it make if teachers are paid loads of money or not in America/Canada? That's not going to keep them all motivated. Newfoundland, being more rural, people actually care about each other (with the exception of St. John's) and teachers do care and try to educate their students as much as possible.
(5) Parents are weak-minded? Oh, so only military parents know how to spell and have a knowledge of other subjects like math and stuff unless they are in the military? Hah. Hah, Hah.
Quote:

Nik, I have military experience. What you are is simply a military brat who thinks he's better than everybody else... so what? Anyone can take a coding course, anyone can travel to foreign countries, anyone can make new friends.

So, if you're so much better than everybody else, and military kids really are better, then off you go. Iraq is waiting for you. You're so good you can't possibly lose.
Now that actually was funny.
LA061 is offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 05:46 PM   #57
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: Military kids, and why they are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK31337
Nik, I have military experience. What you are is simply a military brat who thinks he's better than everybody else.
Agreed 100%!
__________________
0_o
mammikoura is offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #58
Fully Optimized
 
Nik00117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,025
Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117
Default Re: Military kids, and why they are better.

Quote:
I honestly have to say that I don't see the difference between military kids and 'regular' kids.

Nik if you had any kind of idea about what it was like to stay in one place, then you'd know that in the real world where you are able to get real experiances with real people over tmie, then far more things happen than you could ever imagine, people get real life experiance.

I'm saying that I've more experiances than you have cause I've been able to develop long term (social) relationships with people outside my immediate family, this will help me in my career a lot more than it'll help you because you've lived in germany for a couple of years.

You say that it's uniquly different that people who live in europe to those who live in america, how so exactly?
in your first post you say that most american civillians havn't left their state, whilst military kids are dragged around the world to different countries... (and by countries you actually mean small americanised bases, so that you experiance pretty much zero of the actual culture).
driving across state is pretty much the same as driving into scotland from the south of England, Many americans could drive into another state, would that suddenly make them more rounded or experianced people?
many english people travel to different countries to visit, and I'm pretty sure that in their two week visit they experiance probably a whole load more of that culture than you do...
and IMO it's a lot harder and more expensive to get in a plane, or on a boat to leave for a different country than it would be to take a drive or train ride to another state.
it's not different 'cause it's easier, it's different because people here seem to want to see the world, it's not forced upon them!

for the record, I lived in a fairly normal town in the middle of Britain, I've been outside my own country some twenty times, including two trips to live with a french family, and a trip to live with a German family, Italy Once, Jamaica once, Holland twice and France for the other times,

Fact is, that I'm not a military person, but there is a strong chance that I've travelled to more countries than you have, (and given that I was actual in that country interacting with the locals, I've actually probably spent more time interacting with local people of those countries tat you ever have also.


Education, My education, (in terms of basic spelling and grammer) sucks, (my bad, should have paid more attention in school) I only took english to GCSE (16yr old) level and I only got a D for that, (below average), but even with my poor education I could still (if asked to) pick apart your opsts pointing out a ton of basic spelling and grammer errors.

The teachers may be paid more, but if you're never in the same place for very long, how on earth do you build up a repour with your teacher?

IMO your education suffers specificalyl because you move from place to place so frequently.


a school is as good as the brightest people there for civillian schools, if a lot of people excell at maths etc, then the school can apply for status as a center of excellence for maths, (this means that they will get more (specialised) funding, hence be able to gert better teachers/resources, and become a better school), for military schools, money doesn't need to be earned, it's just thriown in.


The point is that even with my modest education I can see that you are no better than anyone else here, either at your level or older.


and before anyone says anything, I don't think I'm any better either...
1st of, I have an idea of what it is to stay in one place, I was in one house for 7 years, thats a long time.

I have learned to get to know people extremely well. I still talk to all my buddies back in the states.

The large majority of Americans do not live on the base itself. There was one time which I can recall where I lived on base, that was in Guam, and thats due to that their WAS NO HOUSING OFF BASE. However most Americans when in Germany, UK, or Japan (name it) do in fact LIVE OFF BASE, in the economy.

I go to base to go to school then I come home. 90% of my friends are in fact German.

And no, traveling to a different state within your country wouldn't make you that much more of a rounded person, that example was to show how little of their own backyard they have in fact seen.

Do you honestly believe that I would waste my time on the base? Gah no! I'd much rather shop off base, eat off base, go to parties off base. Hell if the gym wasn't free on base I'd work out off base.

Example tonight we had a Christmas party. We had about 15 people there, if you include me as an American (which I can be considered German or American. We had 4 there. My dad, me, my sister, and my dads friend. The other 11 were my mom, my neighbors, and her friends. So I do interact with the local people, and we always have.

And yes, military schools do get money just tossed in, and yes civilian schools may or may not get more money. BUT THIS IS THE SHORT FALL. Why should one school just because it got some really smart kid in it get a better education in Computers, or Math or so forth.

Granted there are those Americans who don't ever go off base, but not very many.

If you come back at the argument but the American base affects the economy, and the culture of the local area then your 100% correct, however it doesn't where my grandma lives.

Once again

American Military Kids GENERALLY have more life experiences then their counter parts (civilian American kids) DUE TO THIS FACT, travel.

Also the majority (or close too) of Military kids have parents of two different nationalities, very, very few of my American friends here have two parents from the same country. This leads to higher bilingual rate among military kids and knowing two languages is very important in todays times.

But, a lot of Americans don't consider living on base very fun. Much more harder to have fun. Plus the standard of living off base is much more due to the extra pay we get for doing that.

I am going say this, as my FINAL words on this thread.

Its a biased opinion in some respects, and I can see how some people can be offended by my remarks,its based on personal experience. HOWEVER this is a fact.
1. military kids have a higher rate of bilingual FLUENT language abilities. I myself can speak German near fluently, (writing another story) and English speak and write.
2. MOST military kids are involved in the culture, granted there are those who go to the local BX after school and hang out, but just as mayn if not more go off base to have fun.
3. The education system of DOD military schools is normally better THEN AMERICAN CIVILIAN SCHOOLS.

Thats all
__________________
Main Rig: I7 920 CPU, 6 Gigs ram 5870 GPU
M17X Laptop 2.8 Ghz Dual Core, 4870 Radeon
Nik00117 is offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 07:58 PM   #59
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: Military kids, and why they are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik00117
1st of, I have an idea of what it is to stay in one place, I was in one house for 7 years, thats a long time.

I have learned to get to know people extremely well. I still talk to all my buddies back in the states.

The large majority of Americans do not live on the base itself. There was one time which I can recall where I lived on base, that was in Guam, and thats due to that their WAS NO HOUSING OFF BASE. However most Americans when in Germany, UK, or Japan (name it) do in fact LIVE OFF BASE, in the economy.

I go to base to go to school then I come home. 90% of my friends are in fact German.

And no, traveling to a different state within your country wouldn't make you that much more of a rounded person, that example was to show how little of their own backyard they have in fact seen.

Do you honestly believe that I would waste my time on the base? Gah no! I'd much rather shop off base, eat off base, go to parties off base. Hell if the gym wasn't free on base I'd work out off base.

Example tonight we had a Christmas party. We had about 15 people there, if you include me as an American (which I can be considered German or American. We had 4 there. My dad, me, my sister, and my dads friend. The other 11 were my mom, my neighbors, and her friends. So I do interact with the local people, and we always have.

And yes, military schools do get money just tossed in, and yes civilian schools may or may not get more money. BUT THIS IS THE SHORT FALL. Why should one school just because it got some really smart kid in it get a better education in Computers, or Math or so forth.

Granted there are those Americans who don't ever go off base, but not very many.

If you come back at the argument but the American base affects the economy, and the culture of the local area then your 100% correct, however it doesn't where my grandma lives.

Once again

American Military Kids GENERALLY have more life experiences then their counter parts (civilian American kids) DUE TO THIS FACT, travel.

Also the majority (or close too) of Military kids have parents of two different nationalities, very, very few of my American friends here have two parents from the same country. This leads to higher bilingual rate among military kids and knowing two languages is very important in todays times.

But, a lot of Americans don't consider living on base very fun. Much more harder to have fun. Plus the standard of living off base is much more due to the extra pay we get for doing that.

I am going say this, as my FINAL words on this thread.

Its a biased opinion in some respects, and I can see how some people can be offended by my remarks,its based on personal experience. HOWEVER this is a fact.
1. military kids have a higher rate of bilingual FLUENT language abilities. I myself can speak German near fluently, (writing another story) and English speak and write.
2. MOST military kids are involved in the culture, granted there are those who go to the local BX after school and hang out, but just as mayn if not more go off base to have fun.
3. The education system of DOD military schools is normally better THEN AMERICAN CIVILIAN SCHOOLS.

Thats all
My Grandfather was in the Air Force. My dad moved atleast 20 times as a student. It reached the point he gave up making friends, whats the point if your just gonna move away a month later?

Personally, i'd hate to travel all over the damn place like that.
MikeReiner is offline  
Old 12-16-2006, 09:12 PM   #60
Fully Optimized
 
The Amish Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,034
Send a message via AIM to The Amish Kid
Default Re: Military kids, and why they are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik00117
1st of, I have an idea of what it is to stay in one place, I was in one house for 7 years, thats a long time.

I have learned to get to know people extremely well. I still talk to all my buddies back in the states.

The large majority of Americans do not live on the base itself. There was one time which I can recall where I lived on base, that was in Guam, and thats due to that their WAS NO HOUSING OFF BASE. However most Americans when in Germany, UK, or Japan (name it) do in fact LIVE OFF BASE, in the economy.

I go to base to go to school then I come home. 90% of my friends are in fact German.

And no, traveling to a different state within your country wouldn't make you that much more of a rounded person, that example was to show how little of their own backyard they have in fact seen.

Do you honestly believe that I would waste my time on the base? Gah no! I'd much rather shop off base, eat off base, go to parties off base. Hell if the gym wasn't free on base I'd work out off base.

Example tonight we had a Christmas party. We had about 15 people there, if you include me as an American (which I can be considered German or American. We had 4 there. My dad, me, my sister, and my dads friend. The other 11 were my mom, my neighbors, and her friends. So I do interact with the local people, and we always have.

And yes, military schools do get money just tossed in, and yes civilian schools may or may not get more money. BUT THIS IS THE SHORT FALL. Why should one school just because it got some really smart kid in it get a better education in Computers, or Math or so forth.

Granted there are those Americans who don't ever go off base, but not very many.

If you come back at the argument but the American base affects the economy, and the culture of the local area then your 100% correct, however it doesn't where my grandma lives.

Once again

American Military Kids GENERALLY have more life experiences then their counter parts (civilian American kids) DUE TO THIS FACT, travel.

Also the majority (or close too) of Military kids have parents of two different nationalities, very, very few of my American friends here have two parents from the same country. This leads to higher bilingual rate among military kids and knowing two languages is very important in todays times.

But, a lot of Americans don't consider living on base very fun. Much more harder to have fun. Plus the standard of living off base is much more due to the extra pay we get for doing that.

I am going say this, as my FINAL words on this thread.

Its a biased opinion in some respects, and I can see how some people can be offended by my remarks,its based on personal experience. HOWEVER this is a fact.
1. military kids have a higher rate of bilingual FLUENT language abilities. I myself can speak German near fluently, (writing another story) and English speak and write.
2. MOST military kids are involved in the culture, granted there are those who go to the local BX after school and hang out, but just as mayn if not more go off base to have fun.
3. The education system of DOD military schools is normally better THEN AMERICAN CIVILIAN SCHOOLS.

Thats all
I still don't see why you make such a big deal about being bilingual. Yes it may be more important in Europe, but in America it isn't as important. The only time is if you live somewhere with a high spanish speaking population(I'm thinking about Arizona and California). Then it can be important.
__________________

__________________
The Amish computer:
AMD Opteron 165 CCBWE 0551@ 2.25ghz(250 x 9) 1.45v cooled w/ Thermaltake Big Typhoon | DFI LP Ultra D | eVGA 7800GT@ 465/1110 | Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | 2GB G. Skill DDR 500 @ 250mhz 3-4-4-8 | 80 GB SATA + 40GB SATA + 200GB IDE| 480w Thermaltake Silent purepower | Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case (Black) | Windows XP Pro |
The Amish Kid is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0