Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-30-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Microwave question

I found this nice 1000W microwave manufactured January 1995 and made in Korea. The brand is Goldstar. I know it was in the garbage, but who care? the guy probably bought a new one since the plate is a little broken on side, but doesn't hurt as checked. now, thie thing is:

Looking at the voltage, it says this: 4.0KV

Does this microwave drains power out of some stuff? Like, If I plug it on my less used plug, it has the TV and a VCR. If I plug this, will it pwn everything and make a short. Remember that this microwave is powerful and it's not a piece of junk...well, I hope so! I almost broke my back bringing it home lol!

BTW, I have this as a warning:

To ensure continued protection against shock hazard, connect to properly grounder outlets only.

What's that supposed to mean lol?
__________________

lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:04 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Microwave question

try it once.....see if your place burns down
__________________

__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:10 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: Microwave question

very funny...I am lol...right...I know where to test it. I'm not that dumb
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:16 PM   #4
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Microwave question

It's just a power hog. Not to worry.
I would however be concerned about the door seal being damaged and allowing microwave enegry to leak out. It can cook you and anything close to it. A way to test for leaks to to get a microwave tester from RadioShack. They don't cost much. Put a large cup of water in the microwave oven and put on a high setting for 1 or 2 mins. Lay the tester down in front of the oven and get off to the side. Hit the start button. If that needle on the test so much a jitters that oven is not safe to use.
Throw it away and go to WalMart and get a 2 cubit foot oven for under 100 dollars US.
We would rather have you around.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
In Runtime
 
VirtualDrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 451
Default Re: Microwave question

Grounded outlets are outlets that connent to the ground to reduce the risk of a short circuit. A grounded outlet is when you use all there holes. I am not sure how to test it. I hope this helps.
VirtualDrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:36 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: Microwave question

Thanks a buch at both of you! I've never though a microwave could do this!

One other thing:

If I use another glass of water in front of it and let it run for 5 secons, will it tell me that there's microwave leaking if the water turns hot?
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:47 PM   #7
In Runtime
 
VirtualDrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 451
Default Re: Microwave question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuser
Thanks a buch at both of you! I've never though a microwave could do this!

One other thing:

If I use another glass of water in front of it and let it run for 5 secons, will it tell me that there's microwave leaking if the water turns hot?
What did I do? You asked a question and I tried to answer it.
VirtualDrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
Baseband Member
 
ENH729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 27
Default Re: Microwave question

HAHA! I have never heard of anyone's microwave pwning their house. But I don't know much about that door seal, but about the power, you can just connect it into say...a Belkin powerstrip and that will protect you from any unwanted "pwning" of the appliances. Usually the powerstrips act as a surge protector. I hope you have fun with your microwave.
__________________
ThinkPad i Series 1700
HP 864 Media Center
ENH729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:59 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: Microwave question

At least I know what you're talking about lol
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:01 PM   #10
In Runtime
 
VirtualDrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 451
Default Re: Microwave question

You know you could just buy a new microwave and save all this hassle.
__________________

VirtualDrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0