Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #21
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Default Re: Meet Milo

Isnt that kind of impossible?

Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #22
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
Isnt that kind of impossible?
Well.. I thought Milo was impossible up until yesterday..

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #23
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

From what I learned, an program cant really do programming. They can only print, take input, and print output. The program can only do what the programmer coded, and if you give him an input that is not in the code, they would crash. Unless the programmer looped it to where they would say things like "Does not compute" or simply "what?" (which is what I think Milo would say when you give him a command that is not in the code), and keep doing those until the user does an valid input.
Of course they are going to show what is already been coded. If they didn't, then they wouldn't have caught our attention. So we don't know how well the AI is.

From Kotaku
Quote:
Molyneux repeated that Milo isn't meant to be a living AI, but rather a cleverly-crafted combination of nuanced facial animation and artificial emotion that creates the illusion of life.

You won't, however, be able to verbally abuse or emotionally attack Milo, Molyneux said.

Milo just won't register anything like that. It's meant to be a positive experience, he said, something that gives people a chance to feel what it's like to have a positive impact on someone, to be a role model.
Molyneux is the Creator (I think)

The People at Kotaku tested out the Milo thing, and it seems that they did almost the exact thing as the video. The only difference were just a couple of questions asked differently, and Milo responded correctly as it seems. It also seems like Milo wont interact with you unless you interact with him.

Kotaku -
Quote:
Molyneux had me wrap up the demo by approaching Milo again. He asked me to call Milo over by saying my own name and acting happy. Milo walked up to me and complimented me on my blue shirt (my shirt was indeed blue). Then he stood there, waiting for me to say things..
Not trying to bash on this or anything, I'm just really curious and how it works, so I am speculating. I'm sure the Natal project is going to do well, but the Milo seems like a huge challenge. Hope they actually pull through.

Whats that big gray thing on top of the 360? (where the HDD should be)

A few interesting articles -
Kotaku - Everything you need to know about Natal
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #24
Fully Optimized

It's a customized hard drive that is over 2tb's big
Old 06-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #25
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
From what I learned, an program cant really do programming. They can only print, take input, and print output. The program can only do what the programmer coded, and if you give him an input that is not in the code, they would crash. Unless the programmer looped it to where they would say things like "Does not compute" or simply "what?" (which is what I think Milo would say when you give him a command that is not in the code), and keep doing those until the user does an valid input.
Of course they are going to show what is already been coded. If they didn't, then they wouldn't have caught our attention. So we don't know how well the AI is.
Unless we could program him to have a problem.
Then program him to try and figure out how to fix it.

I am not saying that this wouldn't be incredibly hard.. And to get to the level that would be useful it would take years..

But for example.. In lame terms..

You tell Milo you have the integer 50 that is set as "A" to represent it.
You then tell Milo you want A to be equal to the integer 100.
Milo would then spit out the possible combination's to go from 50 to 100.
50 * 2, 50 + 50.. etc..

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #26
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

If you read what I wrote, the Milo that was on show, and on the E3 demonstration video was false. It was how they would want it to work like.
They did have him on show at E3 for people to see, but it was hardly what the lady was showing off on the video, otherwise, they would have done it live infront of the audience.

Even though people did get to talk to him, and he did respond, but not to everything you said, there was a person working behind the curtain, making sure he was doing the right things.

Definietly not up to the standard in the video yet though, and I doubt it'd be up to that standard for a long time, but its something they are aiming for.

However, I believe the camera tech itself does work, but there will of course be a few bugs, but it definietly does scan your body, and reads from it already.

if you look up Shape, for the Wii, they are releasing a camera for that, which also scans the body, and watches how you perform certain shapes, etc. I.e, Wii fit, but more advanced.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #27
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

If Microsoft and developers can make the best of Project Natal, Nintendo's Wii Remotes and Sony's motion controllers have nothing on Natal. The uses for just the motion of the body are endless and even just flipping through the menu with your bare hands is just wow...

It's still early technology though, but definitely something to keep an eye out for.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
If you read what I wrote, the Milo that was on show, and on the E3 demonstration video was false. It was how they would want it to work like.
They did have him on show at E3 for people to see, but it was hardly what the lady was showing off on the video, otherwise, they would have done it live infront of the audience.

Even though people did get to talk to him, and he did respond, but not to everything you said, there was a person working behind the curtain, making sure he was doing the right things.

Definietly not up to the standard in the video yet though
link?

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #29
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndsey View Post
link?
I'm not sure he has one. I provided a link to the IGN article Kage was referring to in post #12.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #30
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Yeah, that explains it. I also listened to a podcast from IGN also, or it may have been Gametrailers. They talked a bit more about it.

What that lady was demonstrating though to me, at the moment, seemed very far fetched, and shouldn't be believed 100%. That type of A.I, at least to fully understand you, simply isn't available yet.

Did anyone watch that video with her in though? What was that black unit on top of the Xbox 360 itself? Looked like a massive hard drive.

"I say "almost" because Milo is definitely in the early stages. In his current state, the AI-powered adolescent doesn't yet understand a lot of what you say. Right now, Milo appears to pick up on inflections and tone of voice rather than the context of what's actually being said. Several times during our demo, for example, I kept asking the character questions just as though he was a real person -- but because of the early stage of his development, he just stared at me wondering what the heck I was talking about. "

One thing I see Natal working perfectly with though, is in shooters, or in a 3D setting, that could actually mimic a real 3D setting. If you turned your head, the camera could turn too.
If you see this video, you'll see exactly how impressive it could be, since it could really seem 3D to you, like its really behind the TV: