Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #141
BSOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,556
Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: A mature discussion about the reasons behind the boycott

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThingsSacred View Post
Says the one who has been most vocal about the problems faced here. Stop trying to save yourself, you have dug your own hole as far as I can see.
you must be mistaken me for someone else? because right now, im suffice with what this forum offers
__________________

Rudster816 is offline  
Old 01-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #142
Fully Optimized
 
joe pic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,527
Send a message via AIM to joe pic Send a message via MSN to joe pic Send a message via Yahoo to joe pic
Default Re: A mature discussion about the reasons behind the boycott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield View Post
it started OK as the member intended, as you can see, but now it's full of useless or disjointed posts, a mature discussion it ain't now,
You guys have to understand that Maurice is right in a way. This thread is entitled: " A Mature discussion about the reasons behind the boycott"

First of all, It lost its maturity when comments like this were posted: And yes, I'm quoting posts right here - it needs to be done so some people can understand that the only problems are themselves - like i've said before ::


Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
he either needs an assist admin, or to do some of the changes we want.
without us there is no forum. it needs changes. otherwise a lot of us wont come back (im staying btw w/e happens)
simple as that. we cant keep ignoring this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
this is the 4th freaking thread about the same damn topic, they ALL need to be freakin closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
looks like cf is going to be empty then
why forget about the problems when we can fix it and make cf much better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
times change, cf needs to aswell....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoman View Post
if juice compman and the others don't get their accounts back, you can plan on seeing another member leave......


Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
we just want a more enjoyable experience, big deal. its not asking for much in reality
This pushed me over the edge:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
funniest thing is people think i snitched.....and they are all mad at who ever did :


out of ALL those people, not one were going to snitch? lol....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
technically i would say david, since he started the forums....

compman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
probably me, cause lowdsey is always out to get me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
no...but it made me feel better inside i was mad because he brought up that post......i had to get revenge some how.....even if it was really small
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
wtf!
wtf have i done. im trying to help cf. a lot of members are annoyed, and to be honest we dont have enough active members, and theres just no incentive to stay here any more because of a few basic things its lacking, and the fact a lot of members have gone in a sulk. this is davids wake up call. as i said im gonna stay what ever happens. im just trying to see both sides of the argument.
we are a community and we ARE THE FORUM. simple as that. these people just want a more feature rich forum, something to strengthen the community, and most of all bring in more members

Look, you need to get this through your head.
This is NOT David's wake up call, it's yours. You're busy saying we need change, we need this we need that, and yet you want to strengthen the community? How is that going to happen!?!? We don't need enough active members to make this a good forum. Like I said before, the only way to gain more active members is based on our actions as current members.

I don't mind if you're a liberal on this forum. You just need to realize that we can't have everything we want. And that's it, don't keep going on, because it makes it worse. Theres no way to tell you this, because you go around giving negative rep to whoever tries to tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
i think lhuser is really thelis, thats why he stepped down from mod, so his other account could be mod, and thelis is cheating on DJ CHRIS with various farm animals, thats why DJ CHRIS became mod, so he could punish thelis, but than thelis cheated on DJ CHRIS with arrizx so DJ CHRIS hacked his account and sent out those emails to the other forum and got ArrizX demoted. thats why DJ CHRIS doesnt want another mod because he knows thelis will cheat on him again.

thats my two cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
if i had 2 cents for every 2 cents people chipped in this forum, i would have enough money to buy this forum.....and that other one.....



ROFL that was priceless. by now im SURE you know i make a joke of of pretty much everything....

oh and i dont smoke, im just that funny
unbelieveable....


Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThingsSacred View Post
Says the one who has been most vocal about the problems faced here. Stop trying to save yourself, you have dug your own hole as far as I can see.
ATS, thank you. This post is 100% true - and should go for everyone's ridiculous posts that are plaguing this forum.
__________________

__________________
"I Don't like to repeat successes. I like to move on to other things." - Walt Disney
Proud Chrome OS Pilot Program participant
www.twovisionaries.com
joe pic is offline  
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #143
Site Team
 
David Lindon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,233
Default Re: A mature discussion about the reasons behind the boycott

OK well heres my take on this. (If you know of a member who has left over this situation please make sure they read this)

I guess it all started a few days ago when I received several rather angry prank phone calls about CF. They had an American accept so I assumed they had used a whois lookup. I didn't think anything of them at the, just assumed they were just some prank calls.

Fast forward a few days and I log on to CF and find my inbox FULL of forwarded pms to be about boycotting CF unless demands are meet. My reaction is at first suprised because I had no idea people felt this way or felt so strongly about it. Some of the pms were worded very angrily aswell.

I decided to check out this forum and when it loaded up I saw words like 'the CF secret society' and I saw alot of members and even some of my own moderators on there. I couldn't go any further though because the forum was set to private and wouldn't allow me to register which made me suspicious that they had something to hide. I also saw there was some 'approval' system whereby you had to be approved with your original CF username.

This made me recall the angry prank calls I had and put together with the 'secret society' and private board I became very suspicous and very angry.

I felt annoyed and betrayed that members and even moderators whom I had trusted with control of CF had created this forum and spammed all the members on CF that I had tried hard to create in the first place with hateful messages that I took personally because I create CF.

How else am I meant to react in this situation. After
  1. Angry prank phone calls
  2. They spammed CF
  3. Tried to steal the CF members
  4. The forum appears to be a private 'secret cf society'

I took action against who I thought were the ringleaders and one of the ways I thought to neutralise the spam and stop this 'secret hate society' from spreading was to 'censor' the address by using the swear word system ( I don't read private messages because they are private ). I simply didn't want this to explode any further that it had already.

I later spoke to arrizx who tried to explain that the forum was only setup as a 'petition' and they didn't mean it to blow out of proportion like this, but my question are:
  1. Why not use an online petition site? surely that would have been better and this whole thing would have never happened. I would have visited and would have immediatley realised its only a petition.
  2. Why all the secrecy?
  3. Why the private boards
  4. Why spam everyone on CF in the first place?
  5. Maybe if I were aware of the 'demands' before hand I would realise it was some sort of petition.
  6. Why not just contact me via PM or email about the whole situation?

Now about the demends themselves:

HTML signatures seem to be a popular one so we'll take that as an example.
Does anyone know what the following HTML code does?

Quote:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url=http://www.msn.com">
It redirects your browse to the specified site. So lets supose that a spammer joins and enters that code into his signature and points it to his spam site. He then posts in a thread. Anyone who tries to view that thread will then be sent to his porn site. I'm sure you can imagine the kind of caos this would cause.

So having a co admin would not get HTML signatures enabled any quicker, the fact is that HTML signatures are not practical. I have never seen any forum myself that enables them anyway.

I have tried to explain this everytime a thread about HTML signatures appears in the suggestion lounge but I appreciate it may be hard for someone who doesn't understand HTML to woner why they haven't been enabled after creating their thread.



Whats going to happen now-

Ofcourse I want to keep members happy, I held some competitions recently and gave out $80 cash in prizes

I've received messages and emails from those envolved explaining that it was not meant to happen like this and the site was created and I'm going to unban the members I banned previously and re-instate those moderators.

But what is going to happen to this other forum that has been create? Now that it is all out in the open and were are discussing what they were petitioning for, personally, I see no point for it to carry on but thats up to the people who started it. If its an innocent petition then it has now served its purpose.

I hope that explains I reacted the way I did and also why some suggestions cannot be implemented so I hope we can lay this to rest now.
__________________
[url=http://www.LNXPS.NET]LNXPS.NET - The XPS Library]
David Lindon is offline  
Old 01-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #144
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: A mature discussion about the reasons behind the boycott

interesting post.
it is a wake up call for david though (imo), as these things could strengthen the community, as it would make a lot of current members happier. yea i agree that its our actions that make this forum what it is, but we are just making requests here. (im not the one who started the site, im not demanding change or w/e, im just saying it would be a good idea, if it doesnt happen i couldnt give a s**t, the community we have is still more important, even without improving it)
oh and i give neg rep when i disagree with posts. not to be childish
edit: davids had his say, all i can say is fair enough
__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline  
Old 01-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #145
Fully Optimized
 
BrynF_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,574
Send a message via MSN to BrynF_UK
Default Re: A mature discussion about the reasons behind the boycott

simply put, the only reason they would have private "sub-forums" or a private board whatever they call it, is if they have something to hide

there is no other reason....
__________________
`

Visit today! ---> www.smouch.net/lol <---

_______________________________________________
BrynF_UK is offline  
Old 01-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #146
BSOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,556
Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: A mature discussion about the reasons behind the boycott

when have i been vocal about wanting to change the forum? thats my only question???
Rudster816 is offline  
Old 01-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #147
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: A mature discussion about the reasons behind the boycott

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lindon View Post
OK well heres my take on this. (If you know of a member who has left over this situation please make sure they read this)

I guess it all started a few days ago when I received several rather angry prank phone calls about CF. They had an American accept so I assumed they had used a whois lookup. I didn't think anything of them at the, just assumed they were just some prank calls.

Fast forward a few days and I log on to CF and find my inbox FULL of forwarded pms to be about boycotting CF unless demands are meet. My reaction is at first suprised because I had no idea people felt this way or felt so strongly about it. Some of the pms were worded very angrily aswell.

I decided to check out this forum and when it loaded up I saw words like 'the CF secret society' and I saw alot of members and even some of my own moderators on there. I couldn't go any further though because the forum was set to private and wouldn't allow me to register which made me suspicious that they had something to hide. I also saw there was some 'approval' system whereby you had to be approved with your original CF username.

This made me recall the angry prank calls I had and put together with the 'secret society' and private board I became very suspicous and very angry.

I felt annoyed and betrayed that members and even moderators whom I had trusted with control of CF had created this forum and spammed all the members on CF that I had tried hard to create in the first place with hateful messages that I took personally because I create CF.

How else am I meant to react in this situation. After
  1. Angry prank phone calls
  2. They spammed CF
  3. Tried to steal the CF members
  4. The forum appears to be a private 'secret cf society'

I took action against who I thought were the ringleaders and one of the ways I thought to neutralise the spam and stop this 'secret hate society' from spreading was to 'censor' the address by using the swear word system ( I don't read private messages because they are private ). I simply didn't want this to explode any further that it had already.

I later spoke to arrizx who tried to explain that the forum was only setup as a 'petition' and they didn't mean it to blow out of proportion like this, but my question are:
  1. Why not use an online petition site? surely that would have been better and this whole thing would have never happened. I would have visited and would have immediatley realised its only a petition.
  2. Why all the secrecy?
  3. Why the private boards
  4. Why spam everyone on CF in the first place?
  5. Maybe if I were aware of the 'demands' before hand I would realise it was some sort of petition.
  6. Why not just contact me via PM or email about the whole situation?

Now about the demends themselves:

HTML signatures seem to be a popular one so we'll take that as an example.
Does anyone know what the following HTML code does?



It redirects your browse to the specified site. So lets supose that a spammer joins and enters that code into his signature and points it to his spam site. He then posts in a thread. Anyone who tries to view that thread will then be sent to his porn site. I'm sure you can imagine the kind of caos this would cause.

So having a co admin would not get HTML signatures enabled any quicker, the fact is that HTML signatures are not practical. I have never seen any forum myself that enables them anyway.

I have tried to explain this everytime a thread about HTML signatures appears in the suggestion lounge but I appreciate it may be hard for someone who doesn't understand HTML to woner why they haven't been enabled after creating their thread.



Whats going to happen now-

Ofcourse I want to keep members happy, I held some competitions recently and gave out $80 cash in prizes

I've received messages and emails from those envolved explaining that it was not meant to happen like this and the site was created and I'm going to unban the members I banned previously and re-instate those moderators.

But what is going to happen to this other forum that has been create? Now that it is all out in the open and were are discussing what they were petitioning for, personally, I see no point for it to carry on but thats up to the people who started it. If its an innocent petition then it has now served its purpose.

I hope that explains I reacted the way I did and also why some suggestions cannot be implemented so I hope we can lay this to rest now.
Great post.
LA061 is offline  
Old 01-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #148
BSOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,556
Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: A mature discussion about the reasons behind the boycott

david, check your phone bill for when you got the prank calls, and use the area code to track down the members who pranked you because calling some forum admin to prank them is seriously screwed up
Rudster816 is offline  
Old 01-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #149
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: A mature discussion about the reasons behind the boycott

Yeah, I'm happy the way the forum is now.
All I'd want to stop are the bots that keep posting the same thing, but I'm not sure how easy that is to stop, and if its even possible.

dude_se, you can stop now. Your actually getting me annoyed more than anything.

Your going to unban and re-instate the mods?...
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline  
Old 01-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #150
Fully Optimized
 
BrynF_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,574
Send a message via MSN to BrynF_UK
Default Re: A mature discussion about the reasons behind the boycott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
david, check your phone bill for when you got the prank calls, and use the area code to track down the members who pranked you because calling some forum admin to prank them is seriously screwed up
not to mention illegal....
__________________

__________________
`

Visit today! ---> www.smouch.net/lol <---

_______________________________________________
BrynF_UK is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0