Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #41
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 193
Default Re: Is math real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
My response? This is so far into philosophy, it therefore doesn't really matter, and therefore no-one really gives a toss!
Except there are 37 posts preceding this one you just made (I take it then you don't like philosophy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
The post I quoted? Nope, not misunderstanding that. I was simply asking a question which you are avoiding
Why are you asking about my age?

In regards to post #35, I'm simply trying to clarify JogaBonito's position.
__________________

Comp Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #42
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Is math real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp Explorer View Post
Why are you asking about my age?
Because your style of posting and what you say in those posts contradict each-other greatly. I'll Start. I'm 20.
__________________

__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #43
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 193
Default Re: Is math real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Because your style of posting and what you say in those posts contradict each-other greatly. I'll Start. I'm 20.
I'm over 21 which makes me legal and responsible.
Comp Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #44
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Is math real?

How does legal apply? Even that age varries on context... Not only that, but responsibility does not come directly with age... ask the 30-something year old men who have kids and don't take care of them.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #45
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 193
Default Re: Is math real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
How does legal apply? Even that age varries on context... Not only that, but responsibility does not come directly with age... ask the 30-something year old men who have kids and don't take care of them.
I meant that the law fixes responsibility with age (ever watch court tv?). As far as older men (and women) taking care of their kids, I believe the overwhelming majority do take care of their kids.

Anyways how did we get into this discussion as we've gotten off topic in post #1?
Comp Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #46
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Is math real?

Quote:
Except there are 37 posts preceding this one you just made (I take it then you don't like philosophy).
The majority of those posts were answering / friendly debating the question from an interested viewpoint, not coming in looking for arguments with all guns blazing. Some things are interesting to discuss, but just not worth arguing or spending time arguing over. Hence I'll gladly discuss such matters with people making genuine observations and drawing conclusions, but not when all it seems you're doing is looking for an argument and acting like you know more than anyone about anything.
__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #47
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 193
Default Re: Is math real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
The majority of those posts were answering / friendly debating the question from an interested viewpoint, not coming in looking for arguments with all guns blazing. Some things are interesting to discuss, but just not worth arguing or spending time arguing over. Hence I'll gladly discuss such matters with people making genuine observations and drawing conclusions, but not when all it seems you're doing is looking for an argument and acting like you know more than anyone about anything.
You're not really being responsive to what I've posted. As far as "This is so far into philosophy, it therefore doesn't really matter, and therefore no-one really gives a toss!" goes, when you saw the title "Is math real?", were you expecting to come to a Sunday school dance? Didn't the title give you a hint?
Comp Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #48
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Is math real?

Quote:
You're not really being responsive to what I've posted. As far as "This is so far into philosophy, it therefore doesn't really matter, and therefore no-one really gives a toss!" goes, when you saw the title "Is math real?", were you expecting to come to a Sunday school dance? Didn't the title give you a hint?
I was perfectly responsive to what you posted. I don't think it matters if we decide maths is real or just the best made up bunch of crap we can come up with to explain the universe. But it's interesting to discuss these things sometimes, as I was with others in a polite and friendly way if you care to look back earlier in this thread.

But where I draw the line is when people like you, no wait, just you, come in looking for an argument (as you've just done AGAIN with your last post) and trying to cause confrontation just for the sake of it.

I'm out with this thread anyway (should it be locked?) the good points have all been made and your attitude is pretty much preventing anyone else from throwing any other good points in there in case you come in with yet another confrontational / downright stupid remark.

(Oh and the sunday school dance analogy really, really sucked. I'm not even sure what you were trying to do there.)
__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #49
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,001
Default Re: Is math real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp Explorer View Post
I'm over 21 which makes me legal and responsible.
well stop acting like a child then.

Honestly if you're an adult then you're either looking for an argument or stupid.


given your interest in maths I'm going to assume that you're not stupid and that you intentionally misread posts and pull the wrong meaning from them because you're looking for an argument.


either stop looking for arguments, or just stop posting.
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #50
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 193
Default Simply clarifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
well stop acting like a child then.

Honestly if you're an adult then you're either looking for an argument or stupid.


given your interest in maths I'm going to assume that you're not stupid and that you intentionally misread posts and pull the wrong meaning from them because you're looking for an argument.


either stop looking for arguments, or just stop posting.
There's a difference between a mere argument and debating. From Wikipedia:

"Debate or debating is a formal method of interactive and representational argument. Debate is a broader form of argument than logical argument, which only examines consistency from axiom, and factual argument, which only examines what is or isn't the case or rhetoric which is a technique of persuasion. Though logical consistency, factual accuracy and some degree of emotional appeal to the audience are important elements of the art of persuasion, in debating, one side often prevails over the other side by presenting a superior "context" and/or framework of the issue, which is far more subtle and strategic."

So, if you want to argue this, then I suggest to take this up with Wikipedia as the debate was going well on this thread as viewpoints were being expressed. Anyways I think the debate has gone as far as it can on this thread.
__________________

Comp Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0