mars in 39 days view into the future

Was watching the science channel :)rolleyes:) and they said the Ion engines provide as much force as paper does when you put it on your hand:eek:
But it is very efficient so we shall see.
I thought we're sending up a satellite with an Ion engine, or is that already up?

more then a few months....jeeze...

look how long it lasts in nuclear reactors on carriers, every 30 years they need new uranium/fuel.

Yeah, but this would have to be pretty small-scale (or would that not make a difference?)

Its still a cool idea though. I made one with an old CRT monitor, and it could get about a foot off the table, making evil noises and spitting tons of ozone out the whole time.

Link to me doing it?!

Its simple.
I'll describe it here.

First, take 3 12" balsa wood sticks, and make a triangle.
Then repeat.
Next, make 3 6" sticks and put one on each corner of the first triangle at the bottom so they face up. Then glue the second triangle 2" above the first.
Next wrap a 2" strip of foil between the 2 triangles.
Wrap a 30 guage wire around the top of the whole thing, but dont glue it yet.

Next you have to tap the CRT. One wire should be under the suction cup on the picture tue, and the second should be on the ground.

Then put the suction cup one on the top wire, the groung on the bottom, and adjust the height. Turn the monitor on.

It will usually take a few tries and a bit of tinkering to make it work.

EDIT: oh yeah, I forgot, it cannot be an energy star monitor.

Here is a more complicated one.
4triang_2.jpg

At some point, me and a couple friends plan to build a hex one, so I will be sure to take pictures of it when we do.

Yes, this is true and we are ever able to develop hyperspace engines, well, that will be the day.

we did!

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Shaw-Fujikawa_Translight_Engine

haha

and the size wouldnt matter due to uranium depletes at the same rate no matter the amount of the material, though i am sure there would be a couple hundred pounds of it in a core used to power an ION drive, though i dont know how you could cool the core due to no molecules in space to wick heat away from the core Oo

the cool thing about this energy is that the only fuel is electric so you can make it on the go via solar power or nuclear
sounds like a great power source for satellites in low earth orbit that need to move every once and a while

wouldn't the vacuum and negative temperature of space cool it enough? or does it not work like that...

the cool thing about this energy is that the only fuel is electric so you can make it on the go via solar power or nuclear
sounds like a great power source for satellites in low earth orbit that need to move every once and a while

wouldn't the vacuum and negative temperature of space cool it enough? or does it not work like that...

rather depends on where it is,

facing the sun, hot, in a shadow, very cold.

to be honest I doubt that they'll be sending a nuclear powered device up there as a test of whether it needs cooling or not!

the lifters, (there not really called Ion lifters, I know them as something else, brown lifters or something like that), are cool... but not new.

funny thing about this is that science fiction has been talking about ion engines for years, now the real scientists are thinking about it...

Back
Top Bottom