The Marines

All I have to say it is very little respect, and I don't care if I ever see him again.

Are your talking about me here? Not once did I say I didn't respect the military. I just stated a lot of whats being sold to join can be major bs.

The NAVY has the finest tech schools of all the branches. (ok I'm biased) In some cases other branches sent their people to let the NAVY train them.
If it's life threating danger you crave apply for the SEALs. You never know where you will be from one moment to the next.

But all that aside I sense you are lost right now. Not really sure what you want to do. I agree in one respect the military would be a dumb move since you can logically expect to wind up in the line of fire in Iraq.
On the other hand if you join another branch that is not directly in the kill zone you will have served your country and have gained the training, the hands on experience, and the military bearing which will serve to keep you focused in your return to the civilian world.
Granted some MOS will not translate to a job in the real world and that is something you have to think about before you sign on the dotted line.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀 Since you didn't state his MOS your comment is unfounded. It may be as simple as his MOS didn't translate to a civilian job. Many of the jobs in the service will not relate to the real world.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀
As for your assumption of how things are in the service, look at all the freedoms you have. Even the one you have to be stupid and arrogant.
Those that have served did so to defend your way of life. They worked many countless hours with little rest, food or water under some of the most adverse conditions to let you sit there now and foam at the mouth. Many gave of themselves in being physically and mentally maimed or made the ultimate sacrifice, giving their life.
I am an American that was proud to serve and if given the chance I would do it all over again. So until you walked in my shoes, you will have no clue what it's really like.

His MOS was computer networking or something along those lines. I forget the exact title though. He managed several networks over there and worked on computers all day long. So I think if any job in the military goes that should translate into a decent civilian job.

Were not talking about all the freedoms we have. The subject is addressing joining the military not what the military did for us in the past. That's not the question or what the thread is about.

I simply stated some of the things that the military portrays that are not completely accurate. So telling the truth makes me stupid and arrogant? I know your older and I'm willing to bet things were quite a bit different when you served. Its a different day and age.

So I guess I'll get out of this thread now. It looks like the OP is looking for one sided yes join you'll have lots of respect and any other answer other than that results in look what they did for us. As for your speech on freedoms answer these.

Here is a few questions.

What are soldiers in Iraq dying for?

What freedoms have we gained since going to war with Iraq?

How is are economy doing since we went to war with Iraq?

After answering those three.

Is it worth it?

after an army course I took yesterday I am discussing with my parents about me joining the army!

I have one quick question before I state my opinion. What is MOS?

I always like the thought of "think before you act". I'm not very good at it, but you're definitely giving it a good ponder. It is really your decision. I think coming to CF to ask about this may not have been your best option. You might hear things here that are unnecessarily true, and they may change your mind. You should try to find some people in real life, not online, and have them explain it to you what military life is like. Don't just get people from the Marines though. Consider other branches. After doing that, go and do your own online research about the Marines or any other military branches. But, like stated earlier, as much as you research into it, you will never get the feeling unless you go for it. If you don't think getting another job or going to college (assuming you haven't gone or that you plan on staying in the military all your life), then man, just go for it. Live your life to the fullest. And I'm not going to lie, I may be out of my area here as I have been playing it safe all my life, but man...I wish I had the guts to do stuff like that.

I admire the courage (serving the military takes guts) that you have. That is one character you should not lose. And if by all means working in the military will strengthen this, I suggest you do it. Not only will it help you become a better person (assuming you will be shipped to places and see the world the way it is: the poverty), but it will allow you to appreciate the things that you have. The reason I say that is because an American will never see the real world. What American in their right mind would leave the U.S. for a "3rd world" country just to learn about the world? None! That's because if one does leave, one will just go to the best that country has to offer. But when an American goes off to military, and gets shipped to the worst parts of the world, then, only then, will he/she see the world through the eyes of those who really know it. And, I know I will come back here and check back on the thread, and 3-4 people will be quoting me saying "who the f*ck are you to tell us who knows the real world?" Well, considering I grew near (2 hours from) one of the biggest/worst "favelas" (look it up if you don't know what it is) in the world, I think I know what I'm talking about.

In conclusion: The military will make you a better person and it will make you see the world for what it is. Like I said, only if you are shipped somewhere. Staying in a building 4k miles from the action will do you nothing. There will be risks. Your life won't be comfortable.

edit: I just picked an American because it was what came to mind, but it really applies to anyone who lives in a "1st world" country. Like everything, there will be exceptions. There will be people who know what it's like, but mostly are ignorant. I've had a lot of people ask me if there are cars in Brazil. If I live in a tree. If there's electricity. If people can read (although this is a fair question because Brazil has one of the biggest illiterate population in the world).

MOS- Military Occupational Specialty

The basic title you receive after you complete your training. Basically, your job in the military.

I was going to do that but I never thought well and never did it, people was telling me about it, people who I have met who have been in that state, they say its better then here, stuck in a everyday loop, if I where you and had the focos on the subject right I'd do that pen and paper thing and think it threw, if I thought I'll do it then think about being their, you see things others don't, you travel the world and explore, man go for it if thats what you want, I mean I'd love to do such a thing but I aint got it in me.

What freedoms have we gained since going to war with Iraq?
Well if we was'nt over their then I'm sure assholes would be making nucler bombs.

Is it worth it?
yer it is, look at it again and think if we was not over their what would happen to us?

Isn't Iran the ones with the nuclear power and not Iraq?

Yer iran has nuclear power and if you believe what some people say they are also carrying out illegal research into nuclear weapons but tbh i dont think iraq had business in building nuclear weapons i mean there hasnt even been any evidence of WMD's over in iraq yet that was the basis of the whole war or at least thats what the public are led to believe

I don't want to sound like a dick for you Bush supporters, but he will go down as one of the worst Presidents of the US. I guess this thread is going off-topic. I'll stop posting as mine opinion has already been stated.

FlightSimBoy, you talk about regrets. My regret is not joining the Air Force when I had the chance. I've had relatives in nearly every major conflict. A great uncle in WWI, my grandfather in WWII, uncle in Korea, and then his younger brother in Vietnam. Serving your country is a very honorable and courageous profession. Good luck in whichever you choose.

Back
Top Bottom