The Marines

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Well, I'm 17. I feel like my life is leading me nowhere. There is nothing right for me, it seems. Never been in a relationship (which really sucks.) Only have one really close family member (my mom), but I do think I am related to someone who has already been my friend for years. My mom would be against me joining the military, but she knows that she can't stop me from doing what I want. 2 years ago, she tried to stop me from starting my hobby in computers and look where I am now with that.. But then again, that is not as life-risking as this decision.

What happened is I got a letter from the Marine Corps. Of All people to wish me a happy 17th birthday, they had to do it. I was afraid to open the letter to be honest, but I have been thinking back on my life and also have been looking towards the future. Life sucks, and I think the Marines might take me somewhere. I would have a lot of work to do to get into shape for the Marines, and even then I don't know if they would take me, but I want to know what everyone thinks before I sign my life over to Uncle Sam.

I have asked my friends for their opinions. And they all think I should do it if I really want to. Even my best friend is telling me to. Even the girl that I love to death (but doesn't want to accept it) is saying that I should. So, what should I do?

do you know of any other opportunities you may possibly have in your future? Do you think you will have any regrets of joining the military? List down some things you might regret, no matter how absurd onto a piece of paper and read it over to measure if joining the military is really worth it. Do you think your mother would become lonely? Do you think the lack of your presence would affect your friends a lot? What do you think you will accomplish by joining the military that you cannot accomplish at home?

As you've already realized, it's not an easy desision. It's not something any one can do. Do the marines have a sepecialty in computers that would would be interested in? or do you want to be infantry? Think about that, and look at all services if you must, see which one has the MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) that suits you best.

What ever you chose, I wish you luck. I don't think I could handle life in the military.

one thing I'd like to share about the military is that if you go to a military academy/college, they give you a PDA, laptop and blackberry when you walk in, and I guess the higher in the class rank you are then you get higher priority in choosing your active station after college. Just some food for though.

Regrets.. I try not to regret.... But I do... And I will have to work on that list, spywarebanisher. Will my mother be lonely? No, but she will worry a lot. And in some sense she will be lonely because there is a friendship that only a child can provide. My friends? I don't know if any of them care about me anymore. They never seem to want to talk to me, even if they have nobody else to talk to and are doing nothing at the time. I love my friends to death and would feel that joining the Marines would be like abandoning them, but if they really want me to stay around here, then they need to tell me now before I do this. My career choices besides the military are underground coal mining (the largest and highest paying job in WV) and computer repair tech. Nothing too exciting.

Yes, the Marines have a field in computers. But I don't know if that is right for me. I would prefer to be on the front lines, actually.

I know a few of you know the feeling. I'm tired... But not physically tired.. I think some of you know what I mean..

I will be working on my list of past regrets now....

military is a great option in life
im hopefully going to try and get in the airforce see how that goes...

The airforce has the highest requirements out of all the branches from what I have found.

ive got good grade
im a pretty good athlete
i no a senator so i can probably get into the air force academy
my grandpa was a high ranked Cornell in the usa aircore until 1973
so i think i have a good shot

Honest to god joining the service is the dumbest possible thing you could do. My best friend just got out of 4 years active with 2 tours over in Iraq.

His rank is corporal first class I believe right underneath sergeant. While in Iraq he worked 7, 12 hour shifts everyday for his entire time over there.

When he got out there was no leverage at all on his experience in the military. Everywhere he applied wanted that piece of paper and didn't care what he did in the service. He now makes like $8.50 an hour which is crap until he finds something decent.

Now on top of that the wages he got paid were a joke as well. Your supposed to get more money when in a danger zone (Forget the special term atm) but he works 7 days a week. To be blunt he could have made more at a freaking Mcdonalds for the amount of hours he put in vs what he made.

If you plan to do it the rest of your life there may be some money in it. The military in general is honestly a big hype because they need people to join. If you look at what you get with a normal employer vs what the military gives you its not much more.

Sure you get free meals and room and board but there rooms are shared for the most part and there are major restrictions on what you can do in them.

My advice talk to some people that served before you sign a contract because its not all its cracked up to be.

Back
Top Bottom