Man What An Honor

Franco provided no resistence. Furthermore, Franco knew Spain did not want to enter war because it just suffered a brutal civil war. He was not going to enter WWII.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Course they did :D If the Spanish could have taken Gibraltar they would have. The Spanish taking Gibraltar without the Germans if just plain funny.

The Germans were all over the area... they had boats and all sorts of ships. Not to mention they had control of North Africa in 1942. 1942 was the year the Spanish had an opportunity to take Gibraltar.

With the differnce his people loved and don't change the topic we are talking about Franco. And in 1942 Montgomery kicked Romel out of North Africa

Ah, but wrong again. You need to read up on your history (as you don't seem to have an idea). Rommel was winning in North Africa in until October/November 1942. The battle of Al Alemien was happening in October 1942. You really need to read up on your military history because quite honestly you don't know what you are saying.

http://library.thinkquest.org/19090/info6b.html

"On the night of 23 October 1942, the second Battle of Alamein began. The defence line was 8 km deep and, stretching from the sea to the Qattara Depression and could not be outflanked.

Montgomery's attempted to break through Rommel's line. The British and Commonwealth troops of the 8th Army failed to do this. After two days Montgomery switched to a drive, by the Australians, towards the sea. This drew off German strength. Montgomery expected to win with the New Zealand division and hundreds of tanks. They were checked, incredibly, by the remaining ninety tanks of the Afrika Korps. The breakthrough was finally made. As the Axis Forces retreated the 8th Army followed in pursuit. Rommel got away.

The British 8th Army lost 13500 dead, wounded and missing, and the Axis perhaps over 20 000 (the exact figures are not known). The 8th Army captured Tripoli and eventually reached the Mareth Line, the German defence line in Tunisia."

--------

Stalin was hated by his people. And you know that. There even was a fear that Soviet Army officers would go over to the germans because they hated Stalin so much. But the zeal for their own country (beyond Stalin) was so great it didn't happen.

Stalin was hated by his people. And you know that. There even was a fear that Soviet Army officers would go over to the germans because they hated Stalin so much. But the zeal for their own country (beyond Stalin) was so great it didn't happen.

Yes, being a russian born, I have to say stalin was horrible. And yes, he was hated by most of the world accualy. But if he wasn't there, WWII would have probably been lost. Not that he was a good commander in chief (accualy he was terrible at that), but because under his power, he transformed the russian industry and military. It is very likely that if he wasn't in power, russia would remain weak and unorganized and the germans would easlily overrun them. And then england would be screwed because they could concentrate all their forces on the west. In wwII Russia's eastern resistance was CRITICAL to keep the germans on two fronts. Therefore, stalin might have been evil, but he managed to save russia.

So basically Giancarlo your telling that I'm right oh and how many times do you need to be told not to flame people? I'm a calm person but others might react badly to your expresions Oh and you forgot an important factor the all mighty British Navy that's another reason that Franco not the Spanish my opinion is Franco was a dictator not liked by his people that's why I refuse to say Spanish correct me if I'm wrong after all your the one from Spain you should know better didn't make a move to take Gibraltar

Morpheus said:
So basically Giancarlo your telling that I'm right oh and how many times do you need to be told not to flame people? I'm a calm person but others might react badly to your expresions Oh and you forgot an important factor the all mighty British Navy that's another reason that Franco not the Spanish my opinion is Franco was a dictator not liked by his people that's why I refuse to say Spanish correct me if I'm wrong after all your the one from Spain you should know better didn't make a move to take Gibraltar

No you're wrong. You are dead wrong. The Germans were still in North Africa in 1942, and even 1943. The battle of Tunisia was in 43, not 1942. And I'm not flaming people, I'm just saying you aren't very knowledgeable about WWII. The victory of Tunisia took place on May 13, 1943 when the Italians and Germans surrendered.

Franco was pressured to even assist with the allies towards the end of the war. Franco was liked by his people. In fact liked by many. In fact today, many still like him.

I happen to be Spanish and I know more then you on my country's history.

rakedog said:
Yes, being a russian born, I have to say stalin was horrible. And yes, he was hated by most of the world accualy. But if he wasn't there, WWII would have probably been lost. Not that he was a good commander in chief (accualy he was terrible at that), but because under his power, he transformed the russian industry and military. It is very likely that if he wasn't in power, russia would remain weak and unorganized and the germans would easlily overrun them. And then england would be screwed because they could concentrate all their forces on the west. In wwII Russia's eastern resistance was CRITICAL to keep the germans on two fronts. Therefore, stalin might have been evil, but he managed to save russia.

He was evil and he massacred a bunch of officers who were experienced. He lost most of his officer corps because of his paranoia. If it wasn't for him, casualities wouldn't of been as heavy. And he didn't transform Russia's military before or during WWII. It was a complete mess. Half of the soldiers in Russia's military say about 1942/3 didn't even have guns. Stalin wiped out much of the experienced officers who would of prevented disasters the one General Zhukhov committed. The war was eventually won on the Eastern front by the Russians, but it would of been a lot less bloody if Stalin didn't screw up by purging much of his military high command.

Back
Top Bottom