Major Storm

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
I'm surprised no one else started a thread on this.

Past few days there has been a killer (literally and figuratively) snow/ice storm sweeping across the US. This thing has dumped several inches (some places feet) of snow/ice on everyone in it's path. There are people being reported dead all over the place and things don't seem to be improving.

Right now in my area we are having freezing rain. Sunday night/ Monday, we had 1 inch of snow. Monday night we had 5 inches of snow and on top of that an inch of ice. Today not much has happened, but now everything has a centimeter thick coating of ice on it which is getting thicker.

Anyone else affected by this? I would post pics, but my camera does terrible in low light conditions.

Depends on where you are. In places like Colorado, North and South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon any of the northernmost states, 5 inches is pretty much a dusting. Where I live, just 1 inch is pure hell because we can't deal with it quite like they can because it almost never happens.

Tomorrow makes the 3rd snow day in a row for my school district too.

Is 5 inches of snow a lot?

It all depends on where in the US you call home. If you live in the white, frigid tundras of the North, nah..it's nothing. What they call " a lot" of snow is snow 6 feet deep, drifts over 20ft and near white out conditions. Otherwise, it's a walk in the park.

But down here in the Deep South, snow is almost a myth. Hell, if it wasn't for television I might even doubt it's existence:p we see snow flurries maybe 2-3 times a year and get a "good" snow maybe every 4-6 years (a good snow in the Deep South, is anything that sticks. 1/8th - 1/4th of a inch sticking to the ground is considered good, 1-3" is frickin' sweet.) although every now and then we get freak blizzards, like in 93 there was 3ft of snow on the ground and it shut the whole damn state down, I was a little guy but I vividly recall it, mostly it being cold as hell and being without power for about 2 weeks.

Some parts of the South get a good bit of snow (like the Smokey and Ozark Mountain ranges, then states like Virginia/West Virginia, Tennesse and Kentucky get measurable amounts each year) most of Alabama doesn't get the white stuff, although if we do the Northern hill country gets the most accumulation.

It's supposed to start snowing in my neck of New England around 1am. I hate the snow! This winter has been horrible thus far. The only good thing about it is my classes should be canceled tomorrow. It's supposed to snow from 1am to Noon then turn to snow/freezing rain. Accuweather.com is shitting bricks. I assume their servers are on overload with the number of people (probably school children) checking constantly to see snow updates!

btw Ahyoka, your sig is hilarious! I too would do the same! +rep!

It's snowing here right now in NW Pennsylvania, we're supposed to get 3-5 inches tonight and 4-6 inches tomorrow. I'd say it's a decent snowfall for this area.

Things are fine over here in Washington.

aggreed, we got hit with like..maybe 1cm of snow up in the chelan county area in washington today XD but it has been HELLA cold..8 degrees...

Back
Top Bottom