Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #21
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Loosing Faith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampist View Post
Yeah I totally missed the hitting part in your post FlightsimBoy.
That's not right.. I understand the putting Christ back in Christmas, instead of saying xmas, Holidays, vacation, etc. But physically hitting someone because they wish you happy holidays. That's kinda harsh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSimBoy View Post
Considering I wasn't religious when this happened, don't factor religion in to it.
I don't like "happy holidays" and loled at that, but yeah, that is kinda harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
The only time the term "hollidays" strikes any kind of nerve for me, is when people try to be politcally correct and call the Christmas Tree a "Holiday" tree. Thank you Milwaukee, now what other religion uses a tree this time of year?
Agreed; you can't forget about WalMart's infamous "Family Tree," either.

Quote:
I am a very religious person. I believe in God, Jesus and the Bible. I go to church every Sunday and attend a college level Sunday school class. My church is an independent fundamental new testament Baptist church that despises abortion, gays, and political correctness just to name a few things.

What makes me sick is that we have recently had members leave because our pastor was preaching against being politically correct... Guess people can't handle the truth these days.
From what you gave me, I like that guy. My friend's (eslfish's) dad is the pastor at his church, but I'm Catholic; I've pretty much always been somewhat religious, but I would say that my religious-ness has increased over time.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #22
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Losing Faith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
Personally I wouldn't get nearly as excited about Christmas, Easter or suchlike if I wasn't a Christian and I honestly struggle to see how people do sometimes.
For me, it's the family time that gets me excited. Having two jobs + being a full time student, I hardly see my family so it's nice to get off and have the time with them. My family celebrates for the other reasons but they respect my views.

On the same lines, I have a Christmas tree up because of the tradition it represents for me: the time with family and the passing of another year.

I'm not speaking for others when I say that, but that's just how I feel.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
Old 12-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #23
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
The only time the term "hollidays" strikes any kind of nerve for me, is when people try to be politcally correct and call the Christmas Tree a "Holiday" tree. Thank you Milwaukee, now what other religion uses a tree this time of year?
the church of the fsm (flying sphaggheti monster) does... I think..
Old 12-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #24
Fully Optimized

I strongly believe in removing the heads of animals and mounting them to the walls in my room to give me strength and pooling their blood to create the mighty sword that will one day help me defeat the evil doctor who created the planet earth and it's inhabitants!

Actually, I'm Christian. Not for political reasons, I say happy holidays. I, to my friends and family, wish them a Merry Christmas. I don't say the same when I'm on the job because not everyone is Christian and I respect that, so instead wish them a generic "happy holidays". You'd be surprised how many people get offended when you say "Merry Christmas!"
Old 12-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #25
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
... You'd be surprised how many people get offended when you say "Merry Christmas!"
I've said it once somewhere else on the world wide web and I'll say it again.

"The world is far to politically correct for someone like me."

And as such I will not get offended at whatever greeting I am wished.

It would be interesting to hear from any others that are/have changed faiths.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #26
Fully Optimized

Religion was created by man as a way for the people in charge to keep other people in line through fear. Whether it be Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hari Krishnas, Shintoists, the Manson Family or the Jim Jones Kool-Aid Club, it's all pretty much the same idea. Do what we tell you or you will be miserable (and probably tortured) after you die. People buy into it because they're afraid of dying. I fully support people in their religious beliefs, however. For a lot of people (like my mother, for example) life would be unbearable if they didn't have their particular religion to guide them and provide fellowship with like-minded people. It's just not for me...
Old 12-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Do what we tell you or you will be miserable (and probably tortured) after you die.
Without wanting to start a religious debate here, that's not what I believe, quite the contrary in fact. If you know and love Jesus then the price has been paid for everything you've done wrong already...
Old 12-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #28
Daemon Poster

Quote:

I am a very religious person. I believe in God, Jesus and the Bible. I go to church every Sunday and attend a college level Sunday school class. My church is an independent fundamental new testament Baptist church that despises abortion, gays, and political correctness just to name a few things.
hey i'm a independent fundamental Christian as well! haven't really heard of other ones on the internet =/
Old 12-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #29
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
Without wanting to start a religious debate here, that's not what I believe, quite the contrary in fact. If you know and love Jesus then the price has been paid for everything you've done wrong already...
I hear you berry, and like I said, I fully support people in their religious beliefs. Believe me I've had multiple discussions over the years with my mom on the subject so I know how useless it is to argue religion. I think the reason I don't buy the whole religion thing is that firstly, I've had religion crammed down my throat since birth and have seen a lot of inconsistencies, and secondly it requires a person to live their live and have every action influenced by ideas that are based purely on faith, without having a shred of corroborating evidence to support these ideas. And I'm not trying to say that religious people are any less intelligent or anything like that. You, for example, seem to be very intelligent and articulate to me. I just don't buy it, pure and simple. But hey, I could be an idiot. That's always a possibility...
Old 12-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #30
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
I've said it once somewhere else on the world wide web and I'll say it again.

"The world is far to politically correct for someone like me."

And as such I will not get offended at whatever greeting I am wished.

It would be interesting to hear from any others that are/have changed faiths.
I agree. But I'd rather say "happy holidays" than start an argument with the customers.