Losing Faith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Loosing Faith?

I don't believe. Christianity is so full of corruption (just look at the mid-evil times) that it's hard to trust anyone in it.

I lost faith durring a hard point in my life. Someone told me that god was just testing my faith but I don't see why I should blindly believe in him when he can't blindly believe in me.

thanks for the replies guys i just needed to vent ;] imma go get Dawkins new book after this cup of coffee everyone have a good day and even tho im not religious Happy holidays!

I love science. It explains so much, it explains existence. I should've studied it more at school.

Even though i'm an Atheist I do have faith in myself and those I love, my family and friends that have supported and helped me through thick and thin.

:)

Happy Holidays? Pffft. I say Merry Christmas. And NO ONE will stop me. Even when I was only a partial believer, I hated the term Happy Holidays and the ONE person that said that to me was punched pretty hard for saying it.

what about happy Hanukkah?
happy Yuletide
or it's southern hemisphere counterpart Litha
Hogmany
wassail
Al-Hijra
Ashura
Bodhi Day
dong zhi

and so on...

perhaps (with so many festivals from all the worlds major religions, and non major religions (I included some pagan festivals) and a festival specific not to a religion but a country (of which there are many of it's inhabitants living in the US) ALL happening at this time of year they genuinely ARE wishing you a happy holiday season, regardless of your faith...

by all means wish someone a happy Christmas. if that's you intention. but don't hit people who wish you a happy holiday season (and at least recognise that there are other religions). as their intention might not be to wish you a happy Christmas at all.

prick.

Yeah I totally missed the hitting part in your post FlightsimBoy.
That's not right.. I understand the putting Christ back in Christmas, instead of saying xmas, Holidays, vacation, etc. But physically hitting someone because they wish you happy holidays. That's kinda harsh.

The only time the term "hollidays" strikes any kind of nerve for me, is when people try to be politcally correct and call the Christmas Tree a "Holiday" tree. Thank you Milwaukee, now what other religion uses a tree this time of year?

I used to consider myself Christian. I don't rely on the Bible to anything. I have science on my side. I know HOW we were created from a bunch of dust and everything....not just that the Bible says God created a planet and had a magic garden.. Science is my life and without it, I would be quite lost. And the more science I read, the more I learn that there may be "gods" but not "God". The balance in our universe in so delicate that if only one tiny parameter was set different, the entire space time fabric and time as we know it would all come crashing to an end. Our universe is perfectly designed. Not by an all powerful God, but beings that have the highest amount of power in all the, umm, everything. But at the same time, this also strengthens my faith that there may just be a single all powerful God that does control everything. So with my tear in beliefs, I (as of recently) call myself agnostic hoping to one day find the truth about whrere we came from and who our creators are.

I'm a Christian - I was brought up as such and my faith's grown steadily over the years. Yes, there have been setbacks as there will be to anyone - but overall it's been something that's gradually grown as I've invested more time in God (and for anyone struggling, that's the one general piece of advice I'd give for getting back on track).

Sure - there's lots of corrupt "Christians" out there, just as there's lots of corrupt people from all religions out there. There has been in the past, there is at the moment and it's probably not going to stop any time soon. It upsets me and it angers me frankly - but I don't personally see that as a reason for not believing. I could do anything and claim that it's in the name of Jesus, but that doesn't mean it's been endorsed by God! Heck there's probably a lot of corrupt atheists out there as well but that doesn't mean we all ditch atheism ;)

As to science having all the answers - I don't believe it does. People have had that attitude for hundreds and thousands of years, right back to when everyone "knew" that the earth was flat and at the centre of the universe. Fast forward a few hundred (or thousand) years and yes, we've sorted that one out - but get down to quantum physics, wave particle duality and relativity and no-one genuinely understands how it all works and how it fits together. Heck, the whole base of that side of science relies on the existence of a particle that everyone just assumes is there because no-one can work out how things would work otherwise!

That's not just restricted to the field of quantum theory either. The best scientific explanations for this universe being created with the ability to support any kind of life are roughly equal to the chances of a tornado tearing through a scrap heap and leaving a fully functional jet fighter behind!

I'm not against science, I'm not ditching it and I'm not saying scientists shouldn't find all they can - heck I'm all for exploring this universe and getting down to the nitty gritty of what it's made of and how it works. But in its current state, I really can't see how it comes close to giving us all the answers in a sensible format.

Personally I wouldn't get nearly as excited about Christmas, Easter or suchlike if I wasn't a Christian and I honestly struggle to see how people do sometimes. Sure it's a nice chance to meet up with everyone and exchange presents - but is that really a huge amount to get excited over?! For that reason I do raise a bit of an internal eyebrow when people wish me "happy holidays", I mean why at Christmas and not when I'm taking a day off work to relax a bit in the summer? Surely that'd be just as valid? If someone wished me a happy (insert other religious festival here) I could at least see where they were coming from. To me "Happy holidays" just seems so empty and lifeless in comparison to "Happy Christmas".

Whatever I'm wished though I will graciously accept it however I might feel inside...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom