Loosing weight/dieting

muz

Golden Master
Lol bit unusual I know but thought id see if anyone round here has tips know we've got members of all ages from all walks of life so just thought id get some discussion going maybe get some insight or tips yall want to share

Always struggled with my weight , managed to control it in high school was in sports teams and always up for trying my hand at any sport so was in pretty good shape . Then I left High school and well it all went downhill from there . Spent 2 years of college gaining weight , had a gf all that time and she also put weight . Once I left college we broke up and I went to uni , First year of uni I was pretty big and only got bigger , played the joker about my weight it was always funny to me . Then I started second year last year , first half of it I comfort eat to deal with various problems and then in about November of last year went to see the doctor , ended up being weighed , was shocked by what I found , was 6" and 275lb (19.6 stone UK) bmi of 37.3 which is obese , Obviously under advice from the doctor decided to do something about it . Lost about 11lb between early November and the end of December , then in jan got discouraged with exams

Started fresh with a new semester in feb and since then I have lost 44lb or (3.1 stone)bmi now in the overweight range doctor happy with my progress . Looking a lot better for it already had people I haven't seen for a few months commenting , Fitting a clothes size smaller than I did and feeling fitter than I have in a long time . And more importantly managed to attract some female attention for the first time in 2 years :D

Looking forward to loosing another 40lb and hopefully getting down to a pretty good size . Anyone else got experiences or tips with weight loss ?

muz, if you found a way to lose 44lbs and you're comfortable with it, absolutely keep doing what you're doing. My wife works in a medical weight loss clinic and I can ask her for tips if you so desire but basically, drink lots of water, cut the carbs, and exercise. You want to take in a lot of protein as well, especially after exercise. When I was in the Marines (not boot camp) I dropped a few pounds and bulked up quick by drinking lots of water, not drinking soda products or high 'fake' sugar content drinks and sticking with a "three day on, one day off" workout regime where you work two major muscle groups a day, something like
Day 1: Bi's/Tri's
Day 2: Chest/Back
Day 3: Legs/Shoulders
Day 4: Rest/Light Cardio
Before each workout I would do some shadow boxing and light cardio. After each workout I would get in the sauna/steam room and take about 20-30g of protein.

muz, if you found a way to lose 44lbs and you're comfortable with it, absolutely keep doing what you're doing. My wife works in a medical weight loss clinic and I can ask her for tips if you so desire but basically, drink lots of water, cut the carbs, and exercise. You want to take in a lot of protein as well, especially after exercise. When I was in the Marines (not boot camp) I dropped a few pounds and bulked up quick by drinking lots of water, not drinking soda products or high 'fake' sugar content drinks and sticking with a "three day on, one day off" workout regime where you work two major muscle groups a day, something like
Day 1: Bi's/Tri's
Day 2: Chest/Back
Day 3: Legs/Shoulders
Day 4: Rest/Light Cardio
Before each workout I would do some shadow boxing and light cardio. After each workout I would get in the sauna/steam room and take about 20-30g of protein.
Thanks , yer its taken long enough but i guess the weight didnt go on overnight either . gonna probs be around feb when im down to goal weight , which means it will have taken a whole year to loose the weight I needed , still worth it imo and the weight wont be going back on , at least not for now ive changed my lifestyle and am considering a career that will keep me active

been drinking loads of water anyway , used to drink loads of fizzy drinks full of sugar which wasnt helping and so far my diet is working for weight loss . Been doing a bit of weights work but tbh most of my work at the moment has been cardio looking at doing some weights and bulking some muscle after ive lost all the fat

I really, REALLY hate the stupid Windows functionality that makes backspace go back a page. WTF.

Anyway... starting over.

You guys a bunch of lightweights. ;)

No seriously, look at your progress and you should be amazed that you've had such an easy time with it. I'm 6'3" and in May, I was 432#. Very tall for the weight, but also very heavy obviously. My ideal weight is actually very close to what was considered your overweight weight (275 is almost just "overweight" for me)

Most people overestimate the value of resistance training too. Cardio is good for keeping things revved up, but our bodies actually use more resources when they have to rebuild muscle from resistance training.

A program I got involved with back in May of this year had me start out at 432 lbs, and after 10 weeks, I only lost 5 lbs, but I also lost 10% of my body fat because I was working out 6 days a week (45 minutes a day) 3 days cardio, 3 days resistance. The even more amazing thing is that I'm eating more during the program than I would otherwise. Wait, what? Yeah, my thinking was totally wrong in the regard. My goals are in the neighborhood of 72 grams of carbs, and 34 grams of protein PER MEAL. It's a staggering amount of food, but I have to tell you, when you increase your activity, you have to make sure you're well fueled to make up for it. The amazing thing is that this program has folks coming in from the local military bases in my city, and they take the 10 week course, and improve their physique over what even their daily PT in the military does. It's really amazing to see these already fit or "average" folks come in wearing their camo or uniforms and leaving 10 weeks later looking like a body builder. It's just insane. and amazingly, works well for a lot of people. Their slogan is "results are typical" and after seeing the difference in my before and after photos, you bet your cookies it is. lol

If you're curious, I'm pretty sure it's a USA only thing, but having been on the "diet this way" bandwagon for most of my adult life and never getting anywhere (even though you have been! Congrats!) it's never a bad idea to look out there and see if there's something else that can help move along. If you can build lean muscle mass, your idle calorie usage goes up, and you burn even when you're not working out.

Eat Healthy - Healthy Choices, Quality Foods, Common Sense Nutrition

and no, I'm not trying to sell it, sorry if I sounded like a text based infomercial. *facedesk*

Back
Top Bottom