Looking for a riding mower

It finally stopped raining yesterday and today a guy stopped by wanting to cut my grass. I asked him to look at my back yard and give me your price. He said $50 and that includes weed eating and trimmings.

I told him to go for it. :)

He had a battle with my back yard but he came out a victor. :lol:

He did a good job. Lot better than the other guys. I told him he's the man. :thumb:

I think my sis did. He came by when my sis came home and they talked. He asked if she's happy with it and she said heck yeah. ;)

Heh, funny story.
So, my grandmother became unable to mow her lawn using traditional methods. She decided to buy a riding one, but had no idea what to look for. Some kind individual at Home Depo sold her a peice of crap that would just work. I had no idea that this was going down until it was over...

That thing would roll over on you (litterally) after a small bump on a slope. And that sucker was heavy. Changing gears, blade speed (rarly needed), and height was a nearly impossible task. The height was the ultimate problem because you had to adjust each wheel at a time the same way that you would a push mower, only this thing was several hundred pounds. Just to cut a freaken lawn.

I mentioned the gears only because that was a nightmare of a different type. You press the break, change to a higher speed, and this thing tried to throw you off. It would rocket forward, and then slow down to the speed that you wanted it to go. Not a good thing if you where my grandmother, and I found her outside numorious times unable to get the stupid thing off of her.

She wouldnt scrap it, but after a few trys, I wouldnt use it and did not let her use it. So, I just mowed her lawn. She never told us that she needed any help. She was just that type of person.

EDIT: Forgot to tell you guys one last fact. No gas pettle. Just a break. If you started it up whilst forgetting to push the break, it would lurch forward. The good news was, its designers clearly knew the dangers of it as they designed an auto cutoff into the seat. If you lifted your body up in any direction, it would shut off. Normally that would be a bad thing, but I was glad for it when I would find her underneath it and have to pull the thing off of her. Had it still been running, that would have been a near impossible task.

Last edited:
That tractor sounds like a poor design.

About 20 years ago I was mowing a slope along the front of my property. To do things safely, you are always supposed to mow up & down the slope not along the slope. However, it's much faster to mow along the slope so that's what I was doing. Another safety thing is that you are supposed to wear proper shoes but I, being the smart guy I am, was wearing thongs. Anyway, as I was mowing along the slope the tractor tipped over. As I was falling I was mentally saying good-bye to my feet since I was certain the mower would remove them. To my pleasant surprise, as soon as my butt left the seat, the mower blades and the tractor motor shut down. Immediately. I did get my arm pretty scraped up (even had some gravel embedded under my skin) but otherwise was OK. Came out with all toes on both feet still intact.

Those safety features on tractors are there to save you from yourself.

We unplugged that auto shut off feature from the tractor, with battery problems we had to have the seat up to start the damn mower, so we just unplugged it and left it unplugged. I use the weight of myself when mowing along side of the ditch, I just sit on the edge so it doesn't tip over :p.

Back
Top Bottom