Looking for input on Online Colleges

I've been debating going back to school for a while now and think its time to do so. My current job is slowly beating me into the ground and I need a change. With my current swing shift schedule going to a traditional college is not a option currently for me.

So with that in mind I'm looking for some info on various online University's. My biggest concern is credibility.

Whatever college I decide on needs to be nationally recognized and worth it! So I was wondering if anyone has or knows someone that went online and how things turned out for them.

Also any good links that rate and compare various online University's would be helpful. And if anyone knows of a good salary estimate site based on degree I'd appreciate that as well. I'm sure I can find some of this on my own but I'm sure there are some great sites some of are members may already know of that can save me some trouble in my search.

I'm definitely thinking of something in the computer field. Just not sure which route I want to take. Most of the time when I've looked it will give a basic title like computer engineer but it really doesn't go into detail on what all it includes. So maybe some descriptions of the various computer fields would help me out as well.

Thanks in advance for any input you offer.

I was thinking of going for the same kind of thing, as long as what you get at the end is the same as any real university. But you have a chance to get through the course faster doing these...

I didn't like the atmosphere of my last university at all

I am not saying that online colleges are bad, it gives you back as much as you want to put in. But if your going for a computer field, networking, programming, webdesign? Online colleges will not cut it, I have a few friends who tried that and eventually quit. You really need hands on experience with things like that, I am not saying it would not work for you I have met people who are just pure genius's when it comes to this stuff just by reading, but for the majority I have met it has not.

Oh yes ,Yes they do. Im Doing my Certificate II In IT over the internet,and it's just as good as going there and reading the info out of a book lol.

I'm pretty good at learning stuff from books, etc, but I do find I need to be supported sometimes, and I know I couldn't do that on my own.
I'm a perfectionist, so anything that I do wrong really knocks me back :(

I am not saying that online colleges are bad, it gives you back as much as you want to put in. But if your going for a computer field, networking, programming, webdesign? Online colleges will not cut it, I have a few friends who tried that and eventually quit. You really need hands on experience with things like that, I am not saying it would not work for you I have met people who are just pure genius's when it comes to this stuff just by reading, but for the majority I have met it has not.

Thanks for the input there. Most of the stuff I learn is self taught from reading through the web so I should pick it up fast. Plus I have extra computers that I can create a network on and use to practice network setup etc.

I should be able to simulate most of the scenarios somehow from home. I can understand people having difficulties though.

I am curious which online schools were they attending?

@ Neodude112320 What is the certificate for exactly? Is it a full on degree or just some type of certification course like Java or something. Were are you going to do this?

@ Kage let me know if you decide on a college or come up with some good reference sites.

I'll probably go start looking this weekend since I'm off.

Anyone else have any insight?

@ Neodude112320 What is the certificate for exactly? Is it a full on degree or just some type of certification course like Java or something. Were are you going to do this?
Ok,Well my first online course (The one i just finished) was a PC Technician course,its basically just a certification (Equal to Cert I in IT),Now the one im starting,is the equiv to Cert II in IT,After i finish this one,Hopefully TAFE will accept me into Cert III in IT (Which i need to do the job i want).Cert III Is one level down from a diploma,I will be doing Cert III Most Likely over the internet aswell.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;774676 said:
Thanks for the input there. Most of the stuff I learn is self taught from reading through the web so I should pick it up fast. Plus I have extra computers that I can create a network on and use to practice network setup etc.

I should be able to simulate most of the scenarios somehow from home. I can understand people having difficulties though.

I am curious which online schools were they attending?

@ Kage let me know if you decide on a college or come up with some good reference sites.

I'll probably go start looking this weekend since I'm off.

Anyone else have any insight?

Devry was the ones most of my friends enrolled into for sheer popularity. There is alot of good practice downloads you can use, like packet tracer for cisco equipment, but the problem is they dont have all of the commands normal cisco equipment has. I am network+ and a+/it technician certifed, I dont plan on leaving college until I atleast have my masters in computer science with a focus on networking/security. I get my associates in december, its all about what you feel comfortable with. If I had to offer some sort of advice it would be to make sure that the online college you are looking at helps you find a job when you are finished, thats always been a big thing for me rather online/or actual universaty.

Devry was the ones most of my friends enrolled into for sheer popularity. There is alot of good practice downloads you can use, like packet tracer for cisco equipment, but the problem is they dont have all of the commands normal cisco equipment has. I am network+ and a+/it technician certifed, I dont plan on leaving college until I atleast have my masters in computer science with a focus on networking/security. I get my associates in december, its all about what you feel comfortable with. If I had to offer some sort of advice it would be to make sure that the online college you are looking at helps you find a job when you are finished, thats always been a big thing for me rather online/or actual universaty.

Devry was one of the ones I was looking at myself. I had spoke with someone there before a few times but didn't enroll. At that time all I wanted was info about there programs then they were constantly pushing for me to enroll.

I don't like when people keep trying to get you to sign up. I'll enroll when I'm damn well ready lol. Thanks for the input.

@ Neodude112320 Sounds like your working your way there. Congrats hope you get it all finished.

Back
Top Bottom