looking for a history lesson

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
Well, i've been looking at the following thread (http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=53597) and i now have a question. What is the difference between Great Britton, UK, and England?

are they kinda like states, ruled under the "Brittish" title or what? I was told the answer to this once, but that was five years ago, and i can't remember what iwas told.

thanks in advance. Oh, and in light of April Fools day i must say, serious answers only. i don't want to have to sift through BS.

Cool, thanks.

altho that makes me wonder how in US history classes here, we always talk about wars with the British, wouldn't be more accurate to say with the United Kingom-ers or something along that line?

altho that makes me wonder how in US history classes here, we always talk about wars with the British, wouldn't be more accurate to say with the United Kingom-ers or something along that line?

well according to that link that dude_se posted it says that the UK consists of great britain and northern ireland, so what is being taught in history classes is correct by saying the British because the US never had a war with the irish (well except for street wars with the natives and the irish in the 1800's). by saying the UK had a war with the US is incorrect.

just to go a little off topic, i like how how there are different sides of the story in the Revolutionary War. such as in UK schools when they learn about it is called the American Rebellion or something on those lines.

Ronco Rox said:
just to go a little off topic, i like how how there are different sides of the story in the Revolutionary War. such as in UK schools when they learn about it is called the American Rebellion or something on those lines.
ya just like the Civil War in the north is the Civil War, but in the South its like the War of Northern Aggression

Makes sense. Which group of people is in charge of that entire thing, the UK, or does Great Britton run the show?

the Americans had a war against the British, that is the government of Britain.

although Ireland/Scotland/Wales were not well represented at the time in the parliaments, they were still a part of Britain and the Americans were still at war with them.

I think, (though I'm not sure) that UK extends as far as the four countries that are England/Scotland/wales/N.Ireland
Britain extends to the British empire colonies as well. (not sure about that and can't be bothered to look it up either!)

yeah , united kingdom -UK is england scotland ireland and wales
england just is just england
and greatbriton is england scotland and wales , the one island it kind of used to confuse me before i did geo at school

celegorm said:
Makes sense. Which group of people is in charge of that entire thing, the UK, or does Great Britton run the show?

some dumbass politicians , ireland is different they want out of the english government and scotland has its own party , wales also wants independance i think , i am not too good with politics , i think politics is kind of all corrupt

muz379 said:
yeah , united kingdom -UK is england scotland ireland and wales
england just is just england
and greatbriton is england scotland and wales , the one island it kind of used to confuse me before i did geo at school

some dumbass politicians , ireland is different they want out of the english government and scotland has its own party , wales also wants independance i think , i am not too good with politics , i think politics is kind of all corrupt

the UK is The United Kingdom of Great Britain(Scotland,England,Wales) and Northern Island (used to include Eire as a whole until 1916ish)
Yes Ireland(Eire) is different, they are not in the 'english gov't, they have been a Republic for nearly a century.
Scotland has more than one 'party', and has been under it's own devolved gov't for a while now, although it is still part of the UK/GB.
Wales has some form of devolved assembly.
Those born in Northern Ireland are entitled to both UK and Eire passports.

now, if someone could only explain to me where the Commonwealth sits in all this. Oh and the Isles of Man, Jerey , Geurnsey, Jersey etc :D

oh, i'd like to point out that both Scotland and Northern Ireland print there own currency! Scotland has it's it's own legal and education system totally seperate from England/Wales. Queen Elizabeth II is actually Liz the 1st north of the border. Oh and they beat the World Cup holders in '66 :)

Back
Top Bottom