Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Site Team

Default Look out trolls

STORY HERE

Summary:
The Grand Canyon State is turning its sights on obnoxious Internet users (commonly called 'trolls'). A new update to the state's telecommunications harassment bill could make the practice of harassing people online illegal.
Arizona House Bill 2549 has already passed both of the state's legislative bodies and is currently sitting on the desk of Governor Jan Brewer. While there's a lot in there that doesn't concern trolling, here's the line that has people worried:

It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person.

jmacavali is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: Look out trolls

I don't LIKE trolls, but I don't think trolling should be made illegal. Seems to violate Freedom of Speech.

Quote:
use any obscene, lewd or profane language
So would that make swearing online illegal? What a load of shit! (Gotta make the most of it while we can, it would seem...!)

Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
In Runtime

I'm for the law. I don't believe in "unlimited" freedom of speech. I believe in responsible freedom of speech.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

There is no such thing as responsible free speech. You can either have free speech or responsible speech, not both. The whole idea behind free speech is to protect the right to express ideas that are unpopular and may offend people. If you have to monitor yourself every time you post something on the internet on the off chance that some idiotic douchebag might be offended, then you might as well not even participate. If this thing gets passed watch out. "Offensive" pictures will be next. Then it will get ridiculous (as if this isn't ridiculous enough).
Old 04-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Site Team

Pretty sure it will fail. Or if it does pass it sounds like there is no way that it will actually hold up in court.
jmacavali is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
In Runtime

To clarify, something that can cause harm (e.g. the classic yelling there's a fire in the theater) or threatening to kill or harm someone definitely needs the law. Harassment a judge should decide on. So yes there is responsible speech.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Yeah, we're not talking about speech that causes harm necessarily, we're talking about speech that "annoys or offends" according to the OP's quote. Not even close to the same thing... So, no, there's no such thing as responsible free speech. That's my opinion. And unless this law passes and I move to Arizona, I can say that without any fear of prosecution.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
In Runtime

Specifically what brought about this proposal? Can you furnish examples?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Yeah... not really sure what you're getting at. I didn't propose anything... It's ok, though. We can just agree to disagree, no problem.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
Yeah... not really sure what you're getting at. I didn't propose anything... It's ok, though. We can just agree to disagree, no problem.
Didn't mean you. I was wondering what was going on in Arizona that led the legislator to propose such a law?