Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #21
Daemon Poster
 
PokerDegenerate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,465
Default Re: Less homework in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
I want to be out of highschool so I don't have to take lame classes and I can concentrate on courses that matter (math, science, engineering). Other than that I have no complaints.
LOL its gonna be longer than being out of high school Joga...No matter what major you chose there is a TON of crap prerequisites you will have to take before you start concentrating on the courses that matter. You won't take classes that really matter till about your 3rd year of college and even then your still taking a few classes that don't matter.
__________________

__________________
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Case -|-AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3829.50 Mhz (18.5 x 207, vcore 1.424, NB 2600 mhz, HT link 2200 mhz) -|- Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V -|- Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P Mobo -|- G. Skill 6Gb (3 x 2Gb) DDR3 1333 RAM 7-7-7-18-2t -|- WD Caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD -|- OCZ GameXtreme 700W -|- Radeon 4870 1Gb @ 780/1050 -|- Asus VW202NR 20" wide-screen -|- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit -|- Saitek Cyborg Keyboard -|- Razer Lachesis Mouse
PokerDegenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:13 AM   #22
Daemon Poster
 
netBooger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 557
Send a message via AIM to netBooger Send a message via MSN to netBooger
Default Re: Less homework in school?

If this was stated my apologies, I only read through 2/3 of the posts before going cross eyed.

I think that the homework is good. Sure I hated it when doing it but looking back on it, it was needed. Plus it teaches you self study habits which you NEED to succeed, whether it be in a job or in college.

If you had no homework in HS, I think it would screw you once you got to college because you will have lots of homework. You won't be good at managing your time to get good studying in as well therefore putting out lower quality work.

I think High School these days is all about getting you ready for College. It is almost a necessity anymore to have a College education to get a good job. And the amount of homework in HS doesn't even compare to the homework in College.


I would also have to say that more people probably work more that 40 hours a week, and a lot bring work home with them. Work is not all about going in at shift start and leaving and the shifts end and doing it all over the next day. There is a lot more effort put into it than you think.
__________________

__________________
|| Cosmos 1000 || Asus Maximus Formula SE || Q6850 3.00GHz || Zalman 9700NT || BFG 8800GTX OC || 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz || Enermax Galaxy 850W || Windows Vista Ultimate 64 || WD Raptor 150GB x2 + WD Caviar 350GB ||
netBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #23
Fully Optimized
 
UK31337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,776
Default Re: Less homework in school?

You have no idea what real homework is until you go to a private secondary school in Scotland.

Such a hardship for you, actually having to do some work. Maybe this is why most Americans I've met have been completely ignorant and poorly educated, the US education system is a complete mess.

Although I do agree exams are a waste of time; they achieve absolutely nothing (because everyone I know instantly forgets everything they've learned as soon as they leave the exam hall... totally defeats the purpose of "learning") and your performance on the day is usually not in correlation to your understanding of the material because of stress levels etc. Schools in the UK are basically exam factories these days - the government seems to think it's a great idea to shove everyone through some kind of higher education regardless of what it is. So, instead of becoming a plumber or electrician (both extremely useful and rewarding trades)... go and study Surf School Management Science at Gravesend Polytechnic.

That's also why exams are useless, they just end up railroading many decent people into not doing what they want to do.
__________________
Master of common sense. If you don't like it, stop reading.
UK31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #24
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,744
Default Re: Less homework in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK31337 View Post
You have no idea what real homework is until you go to a private secondary school in Scotland.

Such a hardship for you, actually having to do some work. Maybe this is why most Americans I've met have been completely ignorant and poorly educated, the US education system is a complete mess.

Although I do agree exams are a waste of time; they achieve absolutely nothing (because everyone I know instantly forgets everything they've learned as soon as they leave the exam hall... totally defeats the purpose of "learning") and your performance on the day is usually not in correlation to your understanding of the material because of stress levels etc. Schools in the UK are basically exam factories these days - the government seems to think it's a great idea to shove everyone through some kind of higher education regardless of what it is. So, instead of becoming a plumber or electrician (both extremely useful and rewarding trades)... go and study Surf School Management Science at Gravesend Polytechnic.

That's also why exams are useless, they just end up railroading many decent people into not doing what they want to do.
I agree with you.

And private schools? They're gay
StratosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #25
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: Less homework in school?

Honestly, I don't think we get enough homework... or any homework. I probably do 30 minutes of homework a week, if that, and people complain about that too. They think because they have a test in 3 days that no teacher should give homework until it's over, and the teachers listen.

What is done is pointless anyway... totally outside the normal curriculum and prepares you for a life working at McDonalds.

Corrupting kids, one student at a time!
LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #26
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Less homework in school?

Quote:
Should there be less homework in school? Do you think kids are overworked? Do you feel overworked in school?
Oh hell yes.
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #27
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Less homework in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by worshipme View Post
Oh hell yes.
You think there is too much homework eh?
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #28
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,006
Default Re: Less homework in school?

for all those saying that 6 hours in school and then 2 hours home work after school is sooo unfair, and people who work just don't get it...

When I was in school, we had hours 8:45am - 3:45 PM
there was 15 minutes of registration, a 15 minute break in the morning, ten minutes between lessons to get to classes, and an hour lunch break.

so that was a seven hour day. less 2 hours ten minutes, so five hours fifty minutes of work.


now I work from 9:30 - 6, with a 1 hour lunch break.
that's 7hours 30 minutes of working. or more frequently I don't take a full hour for lunch, (most workers rarely take a full break), so we'll say about 8 hours of work.

if you get 2 hours of home work a night, every night, then you're just about working a full day. as it'll be in the 'real world'.

usually I found that some subjects would set more home work than others, so you'd end up with three hours one day, 30 minutes the next.

plus, at the end of the day in completing the assignments and stuff, you;re only betting yourself, so what's the problem...


so far as phones in school goes, you're there to learn, not talk.
ipods, I'll agree do have a place in some classes, (art is the only one I can think of). but they don't really have any place in maths/english/science etc.)
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #29
Golden Master
 
worshipme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,603
Default Re: Less homework in school?

Quote:
You think there is too much homework eh?
My case is a little different from most of the people in the US etc. I have school from 8.00 in the morning to 17.30 in the evening, add travel times and it's 7.00 'till 18.15, so it's quite a long day. When I get home, I just want to switch off for an hour, and not worry about anything, but there is such little time in the evening to do my homework that it just becomes impossible at times if I want to eat properly and get to bed at a reasonable time.
__________________
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #30
Golden Master
 
mark thorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,366
Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe
Default Re: Less homework in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratosP View Post
I think most of you are wrong imho.

I go to school, I'm now starting Year 8, part of a program called "S.T.E.P." It's basically a class for the 'smarter' kids, and no it's not full of nerds as you'd expect. But our whole class is fed up because we get too much homework, we're doing too much after school, after school is supposed to be a 'free time', school goes for just over 6 hours and that's all we need.

People have phones and iPods here, but no one really texts in class because our school has a rule of 'no phones on or to be seen in class' which I completely agree with. Now, iPods aren't really banned, it depends on what teacher you get, most will say no because they can be used as a distraction, but some teachers say yes because music can calm us down and stuff like that, make us think or give us a bit of rush.

We get too much homework for school, I think that all together we should abolish the whole homework thing. It's like they think all we do in our lives is school and work. But no, we have lives, we spend time with family, we have our private stuff to do, we have dreams that we want to achieve.

In general, school is a screwed up place, why? We learn nothing, I won't say all but a lot of kids don't concentrate because the teachers don't teach us interesting things. It's all, okay everyone answer all the 750 algebra equations from the board, every single day it's the same crap in Maths. English, basically we called it the sleeping class because the teacher explained things far too long and we didn't learn anything. I promise you we didn't learn anything pretty much. It was just...spell this random word we don't even know what it means or never heard of, and never will hear of.

Some subjects however we did learn, like Science, my teacher didn't like me much and I wasn't the best at it, but hey, I liked learning interesting things like Space, cells etc.

Work doesn't need to come home with us, because that's our time, that's FREEDOM time, that's family time. That's my time.
just wait til you get a job, work the weekends and go through college.. trust me school is nothing.. its the easiest time of your life, and you have hardly anything to do in comparison when you get a job (if you actually get a proper job, not just sponge off the state or get into a dead end job)


Quote:
Originally Posted by StratosP View Post
I agree with you.

And private schools? They're gay
um.. no.. i went to a private school, from 8 til 17, then i left and now i fix aircraft radio equipment on an apprenticeship scheme.. they are good schools, and if i went to any of the local schools around here i would not have had the opportunities i have had. Plus the school trips at private school are better... France numerous times, Belgium, Egypt twice, adventure camping weeks in Wales and alot of my friends there went skiing, etc, etc..


Plus if there is more homework, and it is actually enforced to any degree, there will be less kids running around causing trouble and damaging property..
__________________

__________________
'I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.'

Winston Churchill, 11/30/1874 - 01/24/1965
mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0