Less homework in school?

I want to be out of highschool so I don't have to take lame classes and I can concentrate on courses that matter (math, science, engineering). Other than that I have no complaints. :p:p:p

LOL its gonna be longer than being out of high school Joga...No matter what major you chose there is a TON of crap prerequisites you will have to take before you start concentrating on the courses that matter. You won't take classes that really matter till about your 3rd year of college and even then your still taking a few classes that don't matter.

If this was stated my apologies, I only read through 2/3 of the posts before going cross eyed.

I think that the homework is good. Sure I hated it when doing it but looking back on it, it was needed. Plus it teaches you self study habits which you NEED to succeed, whether it be in a job or in college.

If you had no homework in HS, I think it would screw you once you got to college because you will have lots of homework. You won't be good at managing your time to get good studying in as well therefore putting out lower quality work.

I think High School these days is all about getting you ready for College. It is almost a necessity anymore to have a College education to get a good job. And the amount of homework in HS doesn't even compare to the homework in College.

I would also have to say that more people probably work more that 40 hours a week, and a lot bring work home with them. Work is not all about going in at shift start and leaving and the shifts end and doing it all over the next day. There is a lot more effort put into it than you think.

You have no idea what real homework is until you go to a private secondary school in Scotland.

Such a hardship for you, actually having to do some work. Maybe this is why most Americans I've met have been completely ignorant and poorly educated, the US education system is a complete mess.

Although I do agree exams are a waste of time; they achieve absolutely nothing (because everyone I know instantly forgets everything they've learned as soon as they leave the exam hall... totally defeats the purpose of "learning") and your performance on the day is usually not in correlation to your understanding of the material because of stress levels etc. Schools in the UK are basically exam factories these days - the government seems to think it's a great idea to shove everyone through some kind of higher education regardless of what it is. So, instead of becoming a plumber or electrician (both extremely useful and rewarding trades)... go and study Surf School Management Science at Gravesend Polytechnic.

That's also why exams are useless, they just end up railroading many decent people into not doing what they want to do.

You have no idea what real homework is until you go to a private secondary school in Scotland.

Such a hardship for you, actually having to do some work. Maybe this is why most Americans I've met have been completely ignorant and poorly educated, the US education system is a complete mess.

Although I do agree exams are a waste of time; they achieve absolutely nothing (because everyone I know instantly forgets everything they've learned as soon as they leave the exam hall... totally defeats the purpose of "learning") and your performance on the day is usually not in correlation to your understanding of the material because of stress levels etc. Schools in the UK are basically exam factories these days - the government seems to think it's a great idea to shove everyone through some kind of higher education regardless of what it is. So, instead of becoming a plumber or electrician (both extremely useful and rewarding trades)... go and study Surf School Management Science at Gravesend Polytechnic.

That's also why exams are useless, they just end up railroading many decent people into not doing what they want to do.

I agree with you.

And private schools? They're gay :D

Honestly, I don't think we get enough homework... or any homework. I probably do 30 minutes of homework a week, if that, and people complain about that too. They think because they have a test in 3 days that no teacher should give homework until it's over, and the teachers listen.

What is done is pointless anyway... totally outside the normal curriculum and prepares you for a life working at McDonalds.

Corrupting kids, one student at a time!

for all those saying that 6 hours in school and then 2 hours home work after school is sooo unfair, and people who work just don't get it...

When I was in school, we had hours 8:45am - 3:45 PM
there was 15 minutes of registration, a 15 minute break in the morning, ten minutes between lessons to get to classes, and an hour lunch break.

so that was a seven hour day. less 2 hours ten minutes, so five hours fifty minutes of work.

now I work from 9:30 - 6, with a 1 hour lunch break.
that's 7hours 30 minutes of working. or more frequently I don't take a full hour for lunch, (most workers rarely take a full break), so we'll say about 8 hours of work.

if you get 2 hours of home work a night, every night, then you're just about working a full day. as it'll be in the 'real world'.

usually I found that some subjects would set more home work than others, so you'd end up with three hours one day, 30 minutes the next.

plus, at the end of the day in completing the assignments and stuff, you;re only betting yourself, so what's the problem...

so far as phones in school goes, you're there to learn, not talk.
ipods, I'll agree do have a place in some classes, (art is the only one I can think of). but they don't really have any place in maths/english/science etc.)

You think there is too much homework eh?
My case is a little different from most of the people in the US etc. I have school from 8.00 in the morning to 17.30 in the evening, add travel times and it's 7.00 'till 18.15, so it's quite a long day. When I get home, I just want to switch off for an hour, and not worry about anything, but there is such little time in the evening to do my homework that it just becomes impossible at times if I want to eat properly and get to bed at a reasonable time.

I think most of you are wrong imho.

I go to school, I'm now starting Year 8, part of a program called "S.T.E.P." It's basically a class for the 'smarter' kids, and no it's not full of nerds as you'd expect. But our whole class is fed up because we get too much homework, we're doing too much after school, after school is supposed to be a 'free time', school goes for just over 6 hours and that's all we need.

People have phones and iPods here, but no one really texts in class because our school has a rule of 'no phones on or to be seen in class' which I completely agree with. Now, iPods aren't really banned, it depends on what teacher you get, most will say no because they can be used as a distraction, but some teachers say yes because music can calm us down and stuff like that, make us think or give us a bit of rush.

We get too much homework for school, I think that all together we should abolish the whole homework thing. It's like they think all we do in our lives is school and work. But no, we have lives, we spend time with family, we have our private stuff to do, we have dreams that we want to achieve.

In general, school is a screwed up place, why? We learn nothing, I won't say all but a lot of kids don't concentrate because the teachers don't teach us interesting things. It's all, okay everyone answer all the 750 algebra equations from the board, every single day it's the same crap in Maths. English, basically we called it the sleeping class because the teacher explained things far too long and we didn't learn anything. I promise you we didn't learn anything pretty much. It was just...spell this random word we don't even know what it means or never heard of, and never will hear of.

Some subjects however we did learn, like Science, my teacher didn't like me much and I wasn't the best at it, but hey, I liked learning interesting things like Space, cells etc.

Work doesn't need to come home with us, because that's our time, that's FREEDOM time, that's family time. That's my time.

just wait til you get a job, work the weekends and go through college.. trust me school is nothing.. its the easiest time of your life, and you have hardly anything to do in comparison when you get a job (if you actually get a proper job, not just sponge off the state or get into a dead end job)

I agree with you.

And private schools? They're gay :D

um.. no.. i went to a private school, from 8 til 17, then i left and now i fix aircraft radio equipment on an apprenticeship scheme.. they are good schools, and if i went to any of the local schools around here i would not have had the opportunities i have had. Plus the school trips at private school are better... France numerous times, Belgium, Egypt twice, adventure camping weeks in Wales and alot of my friends there went skiing, etc, etc..

Plus if there is more homework, and it is actually enforced to any degree, there will be less kids running around causing trouble and damaging property..

Back
Top Bottom