Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Legal to view certain websites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinn View Post
I thought they could log what you viewed?
Do they log what you download?

And I was just using that site as an example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ߧ∩H♠H䎀 View Post
Your history is logged but unless your account is flagged for excessive use or suspected of illegal activities they can't just go in and see what your looking at.
What you view is NEVER logged by your ISP without a warrant. The only thing's ISP's are allowed to log is the IP address you used, the time you used it and who you are.

Logging said things in Canada would be in violation of Section 184 of the Criminal code of Canada.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-46/text.html

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 AM   #12
Daemon Poster

Hm. I was just curious. As most of you know I got busted for Copyright infringement. I really do not want to push my luck.

Toshiba A135 -Vista Pentium Dual Core 1.6 ghz. 1.5gb ram
www.localtechnet.net - Support me, click the ads!!
Austinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 AM   #13
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to netBooger Send a message via MSN to netBooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Hacking is a very grey area.

same with tools, at the moment it's technically legal to own them, but it's illegal to create or distribute them.
But a lot of tools that are used for hacking are also used by network admins to monitor, harden, and audit their networks.

For example the book Hacking Exposed puts out a bunch of links to apps that can be used and are used to hack.

Link Here

Another company that is very reputable that distributes tools

Link Here
|| Cosmos 1000 || Asus Maximus Formula SE || Q6850 3.00GHz || Zalman 9700NT || BFG 8800GTX OC || 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz || Enermax Galaxy 850W || Windows Vista Ultimate 64 || WD Raptor 150GB x2 + WD Caviar 350GB ||
netBooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #14
Wizard of Wires

I'd lay low for a while considering you just got busted for something else. Pushing your luck is not a sound course of action at the moment.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
I'd lay low for a while considering you just got busted for something else. Pushing your luck is not a sound course of action at the moment.

I wasn't planning on hacking anyone. But, I don't want to get in trouble for looking at hacking websites. According to everyone here, i will be fine, unless i get flagged for soemthing, then they might go back through and see what ive been doing. As Long as i am not doing anything illegal, (ex. downloading illegal stuff) i will be fine.

But I do agree. I should probably lay low. I have thought about switching ISP's. But decided that would be stupid.

The best part is that I am trying to get a job at the ISP that caught me downloading illegally
Toshiba A135 -Vista Pentium Dual Core 1.6 ghz. 1.5gb ram
www.localtechnet.net - Support me, click the ads!!
Austinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinn View Post
I wasn't planning on hacking anyone. But, I don't want to get in trouble for looking at hacking websites. According to everyone here, i will be fine, unless i get flagged for soemthing, then they might go back through and see what ive been doing. As Long as i am not doing anything illegal, (ex. downloading illegal stuff) i will be fine.

But I do agree. I should probably lay low. I have thought about switching ISP's. But decided that would be stupid.

The best part is that I am trying to get a job at the ISP that caught me downloading illegally
ok you clearly don't get it. this was mentioned already in this thread

the ISP cant go back and look through what you went to because they DONT LOG IT unless they get a warrant served to them by the police. UNDERSTAND?
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #17
muz
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
What you view is NEVER logged by your ISP without a warrant. The only thing's ISP's are allowed to log is the IP address you used, the time you used it and who you are.

Logging said things in Canada would be in violation of Section 184 of the Criminal code of Canada.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-46/text.html
yes but the laws of canada dont apply to the whole of the world and so its only canadian isp's that actually have to follow that law
i dont know where the op is and what the law is where he is
Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #18
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
yes but the laws of canada dont apply to the whole of the world and so its only canadian isp's that actually have to follow that law
i dont know where the op is and what the law is where he is
The US laws are very similar, and in effect are the same way about wiretapping and information logging.

I was just giving an example of what I know from Canadian law, go look up the US laws while your at it.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #19
muz
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
The US laws are very similar, and in effect are the same way about wiretapping and information logging.

I was just giving an example of what I know from Canadian law, go look up the US laws while your at it.
well i didnt know the op was in the US for one i considered that he may be in a european country whrere attitudes towards the internet vary from country to country

and i dont really care what the law in the US is why would i want to go look it up
Old 01-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #20
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to netBooger Send a message via MSN to netBooger

http://mcall.com.com/GOP-revives-ISP...3-6156948.html

|| Cosmos 1000 || Asus Maximus Formula SE || Q6850 3.00GHz || Zalman 9700NT || BFG 8800GTX OC || 4GB Corsair Dominator 1066mhz || Enermax Galaxy 850W || Windows Vista Ultimate 64 || WD Raptor 150GB x2 + WD Caviar 350GB ||
netBooger is offline   Reply With Quote