learning computer skills

one4stevo

Baseband Member
Where did you learn all you know about computers?
I would like to learn stuff on hardware. I read a lot of forums and would love to know 10% of what most of you guys know. where a good place to start

Uumm, well alot of us go on courses, some of us learn from trial and error, but its not something you can learn overnight. It can take years. None of us on here know it all yet, no chance.

Buy a few "Computers for Dummies" books, and mess around with yours.

What aspect of computing are you interested in?

I took a computer and networking technician course in 1997. Plus like joxley1990 said alot of trial and error and just fooling around.

Messing around is the best way to learn. Like my computer teacher used to say, you can pretty much fix anything you screw up, so don't be scared to experiment.

I always used to rip my computer apart and re-build it, still do. You learn alot from that.

I tought myself a lot in most fields with trial and error, and tutorials I found online, as well as books in the store.

I am also enrolled in a course in high school that I learn about computers, networking, and electricity so I've learned a lot that way as well.

I've been messing with computers since I was small, so I've had plenty of time to learn.

I also did Applied ICT in High School and I'm currently doing a Computing course in College.

Although, a hell of a lot of my knowledge has come from this forum.

Mostly from tinkering around with them, I tend to find ways to break things then go back and find out how/why it broke. Then fix it.(Reverse Engineering) Aside from that mostly school, and on the job experience. I have worked with quite a few companies such as Sprint, Time Warner, and Silpada Designs, all of which I learned new things at that I was never taught in school. Tricks of the trade if you will.

Frankly if your serious about it your'll learn about it. I doubt many poeple will tell you, I went to a class, I sat down, I learned then experminted. I myself from chating with poeple knew more then me. In fact just recently I had one of the first poeple who helped me design a build come to me, and ask me for help. I was like yea, wow. He was like I know you keep up with your technology news what video card is best for me. I asked him the same question about a year ago.

On trail and error, I never really broke my computer to fix it. I experminted like I would sit down and I would think of somthing i'd like to do. Like auto-shutdown my computer well I figured it out with this forum. or I wanted to configure my bootup programs that start when you reboot, so I asked around figured it out and did it. Now its common knownledge for me.

Again my best suggestion is don't really spend your money on a course or somthing and books, i'd wait a lil while until your slighlty more advanced. Just be active on this forum and the knowledge will graudally come to you.

And as a other person said none of us learned it over night. I myself began using the computer when I was 5 for games and stuff. I used it for like internet gaming at 7 (like kids websites) and I just became firmiarl with it like that. I mean i've actively really been interseted in computers and learning for jesus IDK 12? 13? months maybe 15 at most. I'll talk to a customer about a build or somthing and they'll be like where'd you learn this stuff rom and my reply would normally be, trail and error and chating with poeple who knew more then me.

Again read though the forums In fact I was having a slight problem with my PC I forgot what it was. Anyways I was reading the forums a few months before I encountered the problem.Well I came across a post that asked a question similiar to what I was going face in the coming months. I read it, and I learned it. WEll I had the issue come up some time later I remembered that I had read it and I went back to look at it. I think it was somthing with my graphics card or sound card nothing major.

Back
Top Bottom