Leadtek 5950U vs ATi 9700 Pro

CoMpUtaFrEek

Fully Optimized
Most of you know by now that I sold my beloved 5950, and had to find a replacement. I checked ebay for faulty cards, the only one that I'd be able to RMA was this one. So I bought it for £28, bear in mind I sold my 5950 for £170

It arrived so I powered it up. Minor screen corruption, drivers didn't fix it, a few bios options didn't fix it, so I tried 3dmark out of interest and it wouldn't display some of them so..

I hunted for bios files for my card and after a while finally managed to find one with the extension ".14" which I changed to .rom - Like one of her other files. This luckily worked! I just completed 3dmark03 with no artifacts whatsoever.

I was VERY suprised at my result... Look at this...

Processor @ 2.2Ghz/5950U = 5892 (£170) (Stock fan)
Processor @ 2Ghz/9700 Pro = 5086 (£28) (Stock fan)

Considering the 200 mhz drop in processor speed and the price difference, this is an INCREDIBLE result, in my opinion obviously. The card isn't even overclocked yet!

I hope this changes some peoples views on just how crappy ATi are, it's certainly changed mine.

ah faulty must be a UK thing. I used some US words to find some sweet stuff. Hopefully no one will bid and i will get it for cheap.

But why?

The price difference and performance difference is unbelievable, 9700 pro is equal to the 5700 or 5800 and the 9700 pro does well against a 5950!

This has really changed my view on ATi but I know alot of people are super-stubborn on the subject of graphics cards which is a bit sad in my opinion.

This is first hand experience, not benchmarks, you can't argue with the results :)

yeah here is how it goes.

4 series geforce dominated its gen.
9 series radeon dominated it gen
6 series geforce is dominating this gen.

Anyways I will tell you the item I am bidding on when I get it. That way no one steals it.

Back
Top Bottom