Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-13-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default The Law Won

Quote:
Despite all doubts, Moore's Law lives on: A humorous take in tribute to the Wild West.
http://video.intel.com/index.jsp?fr_...21d64d80e6f6e6
__________________

01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 878
Default Re: The Law Won

haha awesome, I hadn't heard of it, what was his law exactly??
__________________

Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
BrynF_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,574
Send a message via MSN to BrynF_UK
Default Re: The Law Won

Here is Moore's Law...
__________________
`

Visit today! ---> www.smouch.net/lol <---

_______________________________________________
BrynF_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,581
Default Re: The Law Won

am i right in thinking that the very first room sized computer built used valves and these valves could calculate bu opening the valves to give out different answers. e.g a closed valve would be no and open would be yes or binary 0,1. so am i right in thinking that the first transistors in cpus do they same thing but much more smaller and quicker using voltages?
__________________
Core i7 2600K Sandybridge + Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler ₪ Asus P8P67 DELUXE ₪ G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ₪ Crossfire 5870's ₪ OCZ GameXstream 850w ₪ X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS edition ₪ OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ₪ Antec P182 ₪ NAS ReadyDuo 4Tb ₪ BenQ FP241WZ 24" Widescreen LCD ₪ Windows 7 x64
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
BrynF_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,574
Send a message via MSN to BrynF_UK
Default Re: The Law Won

well they were switches not 'valves' but yes its the same principle, i.e. a transistor is a switch that gives a 1 or 0 value like the on/off of a switch
__________________
`

Visit today! ---> www.smouch.net/lol <---

_______________________________________________
BrynF_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
Rubber314Chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,574
Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken
Default Re: The Law Won

thats cool. When computers get small enough, the thing I see is a projector that is a computer, and has a built in laser keyboard (where it projects on a surface) and the same for a mouse, or it will detect a laser pointer on the screen. those would be cool.
__________________
AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2 GB ram, 2 TB HDD, Ubuntu+SAMBA ♫ Lenovo T410, i5@ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB ram, 7
Rubber314Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,004
Default Re: The Law Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
am i right in thinking that the very first room sized computer built used valves and these valves could calculate bu opening the valves to give out different answers. e.g a closed valve would be no and open would be yes or binary 0,1. so am i right in thinking that the first transistors in cpus do they same thing but much more smaller and quicker using voltages?
yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrynF_UK View Post
well they were switches not 'valves' but yes its the same principle, i.e. a transistor is a switch that gives a 1 or 0 value like the on/off of a switch
no


they weren't switches.


the first computer was colossus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

it used valves.

it was built in Bletchly park, (just down the road from where I live).
even closer to the member who lives in Milton Keynes.

there is a restoration project to rebuild it.

and it's on display at Bletchley park now.
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
ssc456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,279
Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: The Law Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
yes



the first computer was colossus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

it used valves.

it was built in Bletchly park, (just down the road from where I live).
even closer to the member who lives in Milton Keynes.

there is a restoration project to rebuild it.

and it's on display at Bletchley park now.

he he that would be me,

wow i never new that so the first computern was built in milton keynes ?

woo hoo they do say its the city of the future
__________________

__________________
He who has never failed has never attempted anything worth succeeding at.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0