Laptops......

Tommy Boy

Golden Master
Who here has fairly new laptops and how do you like them? I'm thinking of switching to a laptop.

What kind ya got and have you had problems with it?

Yeah macbooks are pretty nice. Dell is starting to make better laptops too if you want something cheap.

If you're going to buy something in the budget range, stray away from Dell. Only their business and XPS models are worth looking at.

Here's a quick rundown on major notebook manufacturers.

Apple - Good looking notebooks with Mac OS. Be prepared to pay a premium though.

Sony - The Windows equivalent of Apple. Like Apple, be prepared to pay a price premium. Known for excessive bloat ware.

HP/Compaq - Great business notebooks. Second to none on Thinkpads. Their consumer line is also getting praise.

Lenovo - Home of the famous Thinkpads. Known for great reliablity and a no thrills design. Great keyboards and ergonomics. Quality has slipped with IBM out of the picture though.

Dell - Getting great praise for their XPS lines. Their other notebook lines are decent and average.

I would stick strictly to those manufacturers if I were you.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a fan of Toshibas also. I was in Staples today looking at Toshiba and Acer laptops.

Dell XPS is pumping out some great laptops. That's what I meant.

Apple kinda sucks. It's basically a dell but with a nicer case and stabler OS and bigger $$.

I mean when dell is making 1.8GHz 512 ram laptops, macbook is only up to 1GHz and 256MB.

my laptops specs are in my sig.....and its only like 3-4 months old

other than obviouse performance issues, cause its a laptop.....i love it

get to play all half life and gmod, all battlefield games, and some more.....

and i love photosopin on it

Apple kinda sucks. It's basically a dell but with a nicer case and stabler OS and bigger $$.

Then it isn't like a Dell. That's like saying "Thinkpad notebooks are simply Dells with a hard shell and a built in rollcage." :rolleyes:

I mean when dell is making 1.8GHz 512 ram laptops, macbook is only up to 1GHz and 256MB.
That's when they used Power PC processors. Now look at them.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a fan of Toshibas also. I was in Staples today looking at Toshiba and Acer laptops.
Toshiba used to be on par with IBM back in the 90's. Now they're just decent.

Then it isn't like a Dell. That's like saying "Thinkpad notebooks are simply Dells with a hard shell and a built in rollcage." :rolleyes:

I said BASICALLY. Meaning they're selling the same thing just with a brand name (little difference) for 3 times as much. :rolleyes:

Apple notebooks are slightly overpriced, but not on par with some vendors like Falcon Northwest and Alienware.

Keep in mind, you have to compare the right product lines with each other.

Back
Top Bottom